The Sword
Age of Winters

by Baldrick USER (1 Reviews)
June 16th, 2006 | 38 replies | 12,466 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Okay, this is my first ever album review, so bear with me. Anyway, I first heard this album on a display rack down at a local record store. Being more of a death metal guy, I was loath to check it out at first. However, when I finally did, I was reminded why I still keep my old Led Zeppelin CDs. This music rocks. I mean it delivers straightforward, balls-to-the-wall, no nonsense American rock 'n roll. The riffs are insanely catchy and headbangeable (I made that word up), the vocals tight and solid (though not as hard-edged as I would have preferred), and the quality very good. In short, this is true rock in a day of posers. While there are a few problems (some tracks sound a bit too similar to those of the vastly overrated Wolfmother, and from time to time the vox are eclipsed by the grinding rhythm section), and some may not appreciate the slower, doomier sound of tracks like "Celestial Crown" and "Horned Goddess", on the whole this is a good solid album for those who appreciate classic, simple, no holds-barred hard rock. A high recommendation.

Sevhead (3.5)
Images of fantasy abound with this doomy quartet's debut....

Wemo (3.5)

masada
June 16th 2006

Black Sabbath ripoff.

TheDevilsOwn
June 16th 2006

the vocals kinda annoy me, but the music is good.

STLMiguel
June 18th 2006

Eliminator, you could practically use that to describe any metal band. You are a whore rip-off.

This band is pretty good.

jrowa001
June 24th 2006

they definitely have a black sabbath sound but they are their own band and i love them. good review

MrWhite
August 11th 2006

I agree that they do have a Black Sabbath feel, but the band is well worth it. Oh and this is a pretty good review.

FlawedPerfection
August 11th 2006

This is a better soundoff than a review.

The Jungler
August 11th 2006

The single off this was kind of awesome in a kind of stupid rip off way.

Cravinov13

This band annoys me.

Activista anti-MTV
August 11th 2006

These guys are alright. I haven't listened to enough of them to form a opinion.

Baldrick
August 14th 2006

Yeah, this was my first album review, so it's pretty cheesy. The album is still awesome, though.

Activista anti-MTV
August 23rd 2006

These guys do a much better job then their aussie counterparts. I really should buy this. RAWK

ratsinthewall
October 4th 2006

they are better than trivium. They are not groundbreaking, but it is a good debut album, i think that when this band comes out with a second album, it will be terrific, they seem to have the potential and suposedly they put on a good live show which if a band plays a good live show then tey have energy and are tight and that adds to the potential to make substantailly good songs and increase the qaulity of the songs and bla bla bla i'm repeating myself, arent i? whatever, still better than trivum though, that's for sure.

Huber
October 31st 2006

I saw these guys live yesterday opening for Trivium and they were so badass. I got the album, and my only complaint is that after seeing them live, the production on this album doesn't do the riffs justice. The riffs jujst sound so damn huge and monstrous live!

Thor
February 27th 2007

This album is good, but the riffs are too similar.

stoopkid
February 29th 2008

They're so boring live.

rosslives727
April 15th 2008

They sound like dookie live. Not the Green Day album, the feces.

Underachiever
February 24th 2009

Actually, I thought that was a good albeit short review that summed up the album quite well. Unfortunately I am not really a fan of the band.

heylelshalem
February 25th 2009

i like these guys..fairly decent retro rock. its a little bit repetitive yes, but so was black sabbath lol

kuz
April 1st 2010

can't get enough of barael's blade. long live sabbath!

gumballthechewy
September 22nd 2011

I didn't really love this album until I listened to it a few times and now I can't get enough of it. The moral of this story is: this band takes some getting use to.