Between the Buried and Me

by Nick Greer EMERITUS
June 13th, 2006 | 162 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Between the Buried and Me - The Anatomy Of

To be successful at covering a song, a band has to tap into a song that is either inherently great (for example: Shai Hulud's cover of NOFX's "Linoleum"), or can be molded to be great by reinterpreting it using the idiosyncratic qualities of the particular band covering that moldable song (for example: any song covered by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes). Some songs and bands just can't mix like Throwdown and "Baby Got Back." Sure, results can be humorous, but they definitely aren't good. Enter Between the Buried and Me. They, as a band, are already sort of goofy and definitely are very self-aware of their genre splicing and over the top aesthetic. So, when BTBAM, who already dabble in death metal, prog, pop, etc., decide to make an album dedicated to covers, the possibilities seem limitless, right? Not quite.

BTBAM is a band who rely on their variety and technicality and this album clearly serves up both. However, do I necessarily want that same old variety and technicality? A cover album featuring songs by bands ranging the gamut of influences that pretty much sum up the BTBAM sound really just reiterates a lot of qualities that BTBAM have already explored in their previous efforts. Hearing a Metallica or Pantera cover, with their wailing riffs and solos is really like hearing an anachronistic version of the metal part of a typical BTBAM song. Hearing a proggy, jazzy interlude with lots of weird angular guitar is just like hearing an anachronistic version of the proggy, jazzy part of a typical song. Hearing a poppy cover...you get the idea. So, BTBAM are generally choosing songs that don't give fans anything new to chew on. They picked songs that already have the idiosyncratic qualities they have, meaning the songs aren't as much reinterpreted as they are replayed.

So, that means that the album is completely dependent on how good the songs that BTBAM picked are. I happen to dislike Metallica and Pantera, excepting maybe the guitar leads (which is exactly the element of their music that BTBAM distills and uses in their original compositions), so I don't enjoy those more metal moments on that album. I didn't like the King Crimson I had heard in the past but was intrigued by the song I heard here. I loved the Counting Crows cover, mostly just because the Counting Crows are a nostalgic 3rd grade guilty pleasure of mine. BTBAM are all very talented, and picked some fun ones out on this album, but overall it's just not very impressive. I'd rather hear them completely reinterpret these songs, or pick songs that are nothing like what they currently do (which is difficult because they are all over the map). Without that extra step covers just feel like re-issues, which this album pretty much is.

Recommended Tracks: Whichever ones you know you already like. My favorites are: "Colorblind," "Three of a Perfect Pair," "Us and Them," and absurd "Bicycle Race."

Deftones Diamond EyesThrice Beggars
dredg The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusionmaudlin of the Well Part the Second
Mastodon Crack the SkyeTrophy Scars Bad Luck
3.1
good
Jaime Silva (3)
Between the Buried and Me provide a mixed bag of covers....

Sean Rizzo (3.5)

Two-Headed Boy
June 13th 2006

Ha ha, these guys are horrible.

Skyler
June 13th 2006

I was sort of looking foward to this album. Now that I see the tracks they covered, I'm not too sure I want to bother downloading it anymore.

June 13th 2006

AV8RS, don't get me wrong, I love the band. I just think they didn't make good decisions on this album.

jaredrl

Could of been better BTBAM>AV8RS

Two-Headed Boy

^Excuse me?
Well, I've only heard one song and I really hated it. Maybe I need to listen to more?

tom79
June 13th 2006

there are some great songs here and I am scared to hear the covers. i]Colorblind[/i] would just sound weird I think. But I just might have to hear these.

And nice review.This Message Edited On 09.06.07

Digging: Business Models - Room

Tyler
June 13th 2006

This album was pretty mediocre. It's a shame, because BTBAM are pretty awesome. I agree totally with the review.

Full Collapse299
June 13th 2006

At least it's only a cover album and not original material because then it would be seriously disapointing.

[quote=tom79]Colorblind would just sound weird I think[/quote]

No man. It's not "Colorblind" thrown through a technical metal grinder, but a pretty straight cover of the song. Sort of like "(Shevanel Take 2)." ya I know. It's a little disappointing.

Cravinov13

this looks like it's at least worth a listen.This Message Edited On 06.13.06

DanD
June 13th 2006

I actually enjoyed this album more than I thought I would.

TheNumberTwelve
June 13th 2006

Wow. I'm like almost the only person who actually loves this band.

Doesn't anyone have any of their REAL albums? I mean, you have to listen to that to see how amazing they really can be.

go pick up their Self title, The Silent Circus, or Alaska if you don't have any of them. you'll fall in love quick.

Honeymoon_Croon
June 13th 2006

They covered King Crimson? They will PAY!!!

June 14th 2006

[quote=person]Wow. I'm like almost the only person who actually loves this band.

[/quote]

I personally have all of their albums. I'm sure a lot of people also have all three REAL albums. Also, "actually" loving a band isn't just blindly liking everything they put out, which was sort of what you're implying.

Iluvatar
June 14th 2006

I sort of like everything else they've, I'll probably check this out as it seems like it's fairly interesting. Have to hear the King Crimson and Faith No More covers.

FretKid
June 14th 2006

btbam is just one of those bands where if you like growling for vocals you'll like this, and if you dont, then you dont.

I for one like them and thought this album was pretty decent.. I especially liked blackened, the day i tried to live, and colorblind.

I would have much rather liked an album with original material though.

June 14th 2006

Ya, it's nice to hear something and then digest it and move it. Sort of like As Cities Burn. I'm done with that album and am better for it but I don't need it taking up hard drive space.

P.S. Nice Ichi teh Killzors avatar. Do you did those movies like Audition and stuff?

TurnTheOtherWay
June 14th 2006

I've heard good things about BTBAM, but I'm guessing this isn't the album to go with. Nice review.

Zmev
June 14th 2006

Their cover of Blackened is not great.

I can safely assume this full album isnt either.

Iluvatar
June 14th 2006

Yeah, Audition is one of my favs. Mostly everything Miike has touched I adore, although sometimes it is mindless gore. Still fun though.
And I hear ya about that listen then delete thing. I do that with all the silly posst-rock I download.
And yeah nice review yeah.