Three Days Grace
Three Days Grace

by exiledjedi USER (3 Reviews)
June 12th, 2006 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Angry. The one word that describes this band. I think they always were and always will be this way. This album shows that. Songs such as "overrated" and "Just like you" show this the best.

The CD starts out with what I feel to be the second worst song on the album, "burn". I think it starts out too slow and just dosnt feel like three days grace to me. Right after burn comes the cd's three singles. "Just like you", "(I hate) Everything about you", and "Home". Out of these songs I think Just like you is the best. They are all good though... All still having that angry feeling you get while listening to three days grace. Many think that these songs, espically just like you, are way too repettive. I think that's what makes them great. Its not the exact same thing, but they dont try too hard and they beats are nice and for the most part simple.

Next up comes "Scared". I think this is deffinatley the worst song on the CD. Adam seems to be straining his voice, even in the softer parts. The guitars are a little too punk to match his voice or this song, too.

Let you down... I didnt have high expectations when I heard the title, hah. I figured it'd let me down as well, but suprisingly it was good. The toms (drums) in the beginning give a good feel for what this song is like. I think this is one of the more calmer songs on the CD, but still excellent. Adam's voice goes back to normal in this one, and I always like overpowering drums, which is what you get in this aswell. After let you down comes "now or never". This song is excellent also. This song shows some problems with his girlfriend as do most songs. lines such as " wheres the truth, for us to use, cuz all we seem to do is lose... who we are and how we've tried.. are we all the same inside? Its now or never to decide" show that hes confused about all of this. And ofcourse as we all have felt before, confusion can bring anger. One of the easiest songs to relate to on the CD

"Born like this" may be too simple. Yes, I've said I liked the simple beats before but this is just.. too simple. Theres nothing to it except for adam's voice and like 3 chords of guitar and a simple drum beat that repeats itself. All in all there are worse songs on the CD but this is not good, either.. After born like this comes drown. Simple again, but alot more effective. This sounds like a good song... if you break it down it shouldnt be. Simple drums, 3 chord guitar patterns and simple lyrics. But its just the way its all played it goes together so nicely.

Finally come the last three songs. "wake up", "take me under", and "overrated". This is the best part of the CD, hands down. Wake up is the only song that shows off what an acoustic guitar can do, even in this type of music. Wake up is one of the best on the CD. It may have the same point as "home" about how his girlfriend is never there and the house life isnt exactally perfect, but wake up just sounds so much better. Then comes "take me under". This is the most relaxed song on the CD. Nothing is too overpowering, adam's vocals are nice and mellow and the whole song is just relaxing. The CD ends with a bang with "overrated". This song is about the bands that get too much air time and personally I agree. The guitars are nice and mellow, so are the drums. Some times it speeds up, slows down, but the vocals and the lyrics itself are what make this song golden.

In conclusion, this CD is pretty good. There may be one or two filler tracks, but most of it is gold. One-X is comming out tommrow (June 13th 2006) and I did this review in honor of that. If you have only heard there singles and liked them then get this CD, it is worth the money.

Pros : Adam's singing and just the way the music is played

Cons : Some songs sound too much alike or they are about the same thing

3.1
good
  • jduckky007 (3.5)
    I am older now, i listen to this cd again almost 10 years after hearing it for the first t...

Pedro B. (3)
    Three Days Grace's debut is like a hollow chocolate bunny - very satisfying, but ultimatel...

thesystemisdown (3)
    A poppy, unoriginal, repetitive, simplistic, yet strangely enjoyable piece of work. These...

Ian (3)

• robnathanson (4)

June 12th 2006

Well after taking an extremley long lay-off im back with another review........ tell me what ya think =)

Jom
June 12th 2006

Good review, but I do feel that this is one of the most atrocious pieces of music I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing. Like you wrote in your review and explained well, the band is merely angry, but how many ways can you write an 'angry' song using the melodies and lyrics that TDG do? Maybe two or three... but twelve tracks?! The album grows stale on you, and FAST.
I'm still a sucker for "Just Like You" and "Now Or Never," though. And good work with the review to boot.

June 12th 2006

Thankyou very much, mate =)

Storm In A Teacup
June 12th 2006

I'm redoing my review. This review was well written.

The Jungler
June 12th 2006

Hmm, the singles weren't too bad and neither was the review, quite the opposite actually. A few grammar mistakes and this where all I could find.

Angry. The one word that describes this band

If it was, you wouldn't need a review would you?

Iluvatar
June 12th 2006

Decent review, but Jut Like You is the only song I've listened to off this album in about 2 years I'd say. It's pretty amazingly bad.

June 12th 2006

I just described how they are angry and how that comes out in their songs

Ouch... I think thats a bit harsh =

metallicaman8
June 12th 2006

Liked the review. Dislike the band. All of their songs just sound too simliar. I can listen to one of their better track every now and then just by itself. But I listened through the album once and it made me feel sick.

italic zero
June 12th 2006

Like Linkin Park they don't vary their sound enough, but are good performers.

metallicaman8
June 12th 2006

I heard them play live once on much music, they were okay at best.

tom79
June 12th 2006

a good album. not much more...

Digging: Nai Harvest - Whatever

El_Goodo
June 12th 2006

I've enjoyed all their singles, they were catchy and the singer has a fairly good voice.

pattern_recognition
June 12th 2006

The singles were alright, but the album as a whole made me laugh. Sooooooo generic.

Scoot
June 13th 2006

It's actually quite boring since most of the songs are written about the same thing. That riff in Wake Up is quite nice, though.

Animal I Have Become destroys anything on this album and it's not even THAT great.

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache