Archspire
Relentless Mutation

by Jacquibim STAFF
September 25th, 2017 | 123 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tech-shred to be enjoyed, not just appreciated.

Archspire's all-flash style has drawn both ire and esteem, but they've remained headstrong, turning the wick up with every iteration to the chagrin of their critics, and I admire that. With that in mind, Relentless Mutation, their tertiary album, conveys a kind of self-assurance that was missing from their first two – like they no longer feel the need to look back at the audience as if to say, “see what we just did?” Their skills were never in doubt and, with that having sunk in, they've begun to artistically push themselves in ways that were hinted at in the past.

The sterility which plagued their work has been mitigated, and everything sounds much more balanced. Dean Lamb's 7th and 8th strings actually boast some bottom-end now. His use of them is often fleeting, too, so bouts of witting heaviness actually have some impact. The drumming of Spencer Prewett is less digital in tone, albeit still clean as a surgeon's scalpel – before the operation at least. However, this is no wrongdoing, because missing out on any of Spencer's fills or ghost notes would have me feeling ripped off. Binding this cocktail of virtuosity together is a modern, not-too-loud master that allows for proper dynamic shifts. “Involuntary Doppelganger”, “A Dark Horizontal” and the title-track all have clean sections that give the ears some much needed respite. Better still, is the fact they maintain the flow of each song by using pre-established motifs, doubling as thematic bridges as well as reprieves.

The crystal clarity still has the effect of the performances feeling intensely mechanised, but also alive – not like a dial-up modem so much as a T-101 doing what it does best. Oli Peters' false chord speed rapping is as metronomic as the instrumentation that backs it, only this time, more exuberant and expressive. Low-end bellows may be absent, but Oli does vary his pace and delivery with zest, from somewhat fast, to fast, to really fucking fast. Hell, he deserves extra credits for pulling off tongue rolls during “Human Murmuration” on top of everything else.

The leading role often switches between Oli and the axemen either side of him, who've not only defied naysayers in upping the technicality further still, but also spliced in some acute phrasing that is all too easy to overlook should your attention dip for but a moment. They've even managed to pen some ear-worms, such as the main motif in “Remote Tumour Seeker”. The whole ordeal is still masturbatory as ever, sure; you're never too far away from some kind of faster-than-you-can-blink shreddery, but now their performances feel genuinely musical as opposed to note-density competitions of two.

No doubt, the unfettered song-writing is the silver bullet here. No longer do the songs feel like static platforms upon which the members boast their skills; just about every cut here will throw some kind of curve-ball at you, some doing so repeatedly in one sitting. This kind of spontaneity makes the intentionally over-the-top musicianship actually feel purposeful, all the while, songs progress in logical patterns despite their ostensible waywardness. Trying to keep up as riffs and leads duck, weave, twist and churn is intoxicating at the best of times and exhausting at others, but don't let that fool you into thinking this can be a grind – Relentless Mutation is virtuosity at the speed of light, but more importantly, it's really, really fun.

Vacivus Temple Of The AbyssInanimate Existence Underneath A Melting Sky
Incantation Profane NexusImpetuous Ritual Blight Upon Martyred Sentience
Suffocation …Of the Dark LightEnsemble Organum Chants de l'Eglise de Rome [Pérès]
Evok The Ancient (4)
relentlessly mutating...

birb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9hsCVkpn0

stream below the review, have fun

clavier
September 24th 2017

One day I will meet these guys and tell them that a pone wrote a very good review on them

2060 Comments

Just don't tell them about my last one and I'm sure they'll be flattered

BlushfulHippocrene

1915 Comments

Great review as always, Jac.

Digging: Movements - Feel Something

1994 Comments

ahh yes the big words return

kingdedethefifth

Good big words
Good review, will check

cryptologous
September 24th 2017

the longest word was masturbatory

funnily enough

2060 Comments

had to bring out the big guns for this primo wank ya feel

1994 Comments

tbh i didn't even read any of this
my comment was just super presumptuous

1994 Comments

as a side note, the song-titles here are fucking hilarious

verdant
September 25th 2017

speaking of things cleaner than a surgeon's scalpel before an operation: your writing :sunglasses:

srs though i admire how concise your style is jac!!! it's descriptive but somehow not in lieu of actual analysis and i love it : )

i will actually check this i think

hal1ax

nice review man
i'm normally not too keen on tech death but maybe i'll give this a shot

Cheers blush, dede, jack and hal < 3

I'm not sure if this is your style hal but of all the hyper-clean noodle tech out this year, this is easily the best

hal1ax
September 25th 2017

ahh ok. ya i'll give it a go. i like necrophagist so maybe there's a touch of noodle in my purview

brainmelter
September 25th 2017

whoa this is actually decent?

Digging: No Clear Mind - Mets

Astral Abortis
September 25th 2017

Yeah, big step up for them. But after my first listen, I don't know how much replayability it'll have. It didn't "feel" like the kind of tech death album I usually come back to over and over.

Evokaphile
September 25th 2017

Someday Ill review an album that Jac has no interest in.

Digging: Jarv - Jarvage Vol. 1

September 25th 2017

"But after my first listen, I don't know how much replayability it'll have. It didn't "feel" like the kind of tech death album I usually come back to over and over."

Yep I agree with this. Good album though.

Digging: Venenum - Trance of Death

MarsKid
September 25th 2017

Great as per usual. Looks like we agree on something this time around Jacman!

Digging: Planes Mistaken for Stars - Up In Them Guts

WretchedCacophony
September 25th 2017

The songs I heard off this album are pretty sweet. More enjoyable than the stunning yet confused tracks off the previous album.
They're pretty responsive on facebook so you can hit them up or forward this over to them if you so desire.