Dayseeker
Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is Rising

by Brett Tharp STAFF
August 8th, 2017 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ignore the title, it means exactly as much as you think it does.

I can’t confess to knowing what the hell Dayseeker or any of their ilk are thinking when they choose titles like Dreaming Is Sinking /// Waking Is Rising for their new albums. Between unfortunately cringey comparisons to Hotel Books’ album titles and a general confusion as whether these names actually mean anything, it can be an early nail in a very, very premature coffin. First impressions are key after all. The second impression isn’t so hot either as opening track “Dreaming Is Sinking” is just forty four seconds of ambience and ambiguous voice samples. Thankfully, third impressions are just the trick for Dreaming Is Sinking /// Waking Is Rising (I’ll be damned if I ever type that out again in my entire life).

“Vultures” is the real kicker here, Rory Rodriguez spitting venom in the verses over frenetic fretboard runs and earth-churning low end grooves. As usual, when the chorus kicks in it's Rodriguez’ soaring cleans that take the spotlight, lyrics of sexual assault cutting to the bone all the while. “Vultures” ends up being one of the best tracks on the record, and perhaps of Dayseeker’s career. Thus it’s a little unfortunate that the album is a tad inconsistent next to its predecessor, Origin, which was nearly front to back full of melodic metalcore bangers. Cuts like “Sleep In The Sea - Part II” and “Waking is Rising” are right up there with it, but the rest of the pack doesn’t quite hit those heights. I’d be lying if I said the bottom of the barrel here was bad by any stretch though, in fact it's hard to pick out a song besides the limp intro that’s particularly skippable. In that way maybe Dayseeker are consistent after all...screw it, my head hurts now.

One of the biggest shifts for Dayseeker here is that there are vastly more instrumental highlights than on previous albums. Sure, “Black Earth” had some slick rhythms and Origin was permeated with atmospheric guitar passages, but it always tends to be Rodriguez in the spotlight at the end of the day. “Sleep In The Sea - Part II” is a bit bottom heavy looking at the riffs, but there’s some impeccably shifting, dynamic stuff going on in these rhythms and Garret Russell’s (of Silent Planet fame) feature during the breakdown in the back-half is absolutely eviscerating. The slick, methodical guitar tapping that opens up “Waking Is Rising” is delightful, and the drum work across the whole album is like that old golden retriever your grandpa probably had...reliable and always chugging along. Rodriguez’ harsh vocals continue to close in on the power of his cleans over time. On Dayseeker’s debut in particular he was prone to monotonous phrasing, though Origin likewise improved on this. Here it makes sense that Dayseeker’s aggressive side has slipped out to match his improved screams, as bottom heavy open note chugs match rapid fire riffs to greater effect that previously. The dynamic shift from mosh pit rallying cries to crooning interludes is still pretty disparate, but just as always Dayseeker seems to have a knack for making the transition sound smoother than it actually is.

So, is Dayseeker’s junior release formulaic at times? Certainly. The songs generally fol
low your standard heavy verse, sing along chorus pattern, but to their credit there’s some adjustments to the balancing act at times and their ability to slide in mellow, atmospheric passages livens things up. Do the best tracks overshadow the rest of the pack? Again, yes, but the rest of the pack is pretty damn fine on its own to be fair. So what’s the problem here exactly? Well there isn’t much of one really. Mainly, Dayseeker are still working through some permeating genericisms (comparisons to a more melodic Silent Planet or Architects are sure to arise) and there’s still room for both maturity and cohesiveness to grow, but all in all Dayseeker’s third, and exceedingly poorly titled, album is a pretty firm hit.

The Acacia Strain GravebloomTwilight Fauna The Year the Stars Fell
Ghost Bath StarmournerNightbringer Terra Damnata
Fen WinterMutiny Within Origins

August 7th 2017

pretty late on this one, wasn't sure if I was gonna do it for a while but I figure I've been a little too absent on reviewing lately so fuck it

Drubbi
August 7th 2017

I've had this for like a month now and I still haven't given it a full listen, just hasn't grabbed me as much as Origin did. You might have swayed me to give it a proper play-through though.

SteakByrnes
August 7th 2017

Rory's vocal lines are getting very predictable, but this was overall a fun listen

Digging: Young Lions - Mr. Spaceman

ianblxdsoe
August 8th 2017

tempted to check this out of curiosity even though i've never listened to these dudes before. solid review too man

Toondude10
August 8th 2017

there's some good stuff in here, a bit too familiar for a 4 for me though.

Digging: Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome

August 8th 2017

"“Vultures” is the real kicker here, Rory Rodriguez spitting venom in the verses over frenetic fretboard runs and earth-churning low end grooves."

not really a full sentence

"I’d be lying if I said the bottom of the barrel here was bad by any stretch though, in fact it's hard to pick out a song besides the limp intro that’s particularly skippable"

these clauses dont really lead onto each other. reads super awkwardly.

" bottom heavy open note chugs match rapid fire riffs " this reads weird to me too but hey ho just my opinion.

Digging: The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Danza IIII: The Alpha - The Omega

Evokaphile
August 9th 2017

Lmao literally the lamest album title ever

Digging: Incantation - Profane Nexus

pretty lame album too

TooManyFriends
August 9th 2017

why does this guy sing every chorus the same way

August 9th 2017

ye he rips during every chorus agreed

TooManyFriends
August 9th 2017

dude has a gr8 voice but it really loses its charm when he goes hard in every. single. song. save that for the real good shit bruh

August 9th 2017

idk practically all his choruses have gotten stuck in my head at some point or another and I feel like he has a pretty unique style, splits between the crooning junk and the straining almost yelling stuff pretty well

DaveyBoy
August 10th 2017

Thought their previous LP was very under-rated, so looking forward to giving this one a listen.

August 10th 2017

damn Davey, havent seen you in a while

SteakByrnes
August 10th 2017

Rory is a fantastic vocalist yea, but his never really varies up his melody lines

outliers
August 10th 2017

Pretty disappointed with the album as a whole. Only vultures, SINS p2, and cold dark winter stuck with me.

These guys are also really bland musically. It's almost like they're intentionally bland to let Rory's vocals shine.

cylinder
August 12th 2017

title seems pretty self-explanatory

Digging: Controlled Bleeding - Phlegm Bag Spattered

NewBallistics
August 14th 2017

Still have Hollow Shell on a playlist I listen to here and there.

Might give this a spin tomorrow, pos for the review.

NewBallistics
August 14th 2017

Oh wait.. staff. Right then metaphorical pos then.

ProjectFreak

1907 Comments

this is pretty generic djentcore but it's at least a little entertaining