Full of Hell
Trumpeting Ecstasy

by Xenophanes STAFF
May 5th, 2017 | 312 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "All matter is just the devil crawling back to God."

It's easy to see why Full of Hell have been able to flip their gruff image so startlingly over the past few years. From a scrappy grinders to full blown violent art-house heroes, the band has made some brilliant creative choices which has afforded them an unlikely following from differing corners of the music Internetosphere. Paring with outsider artists has enabled the band to flourish in unlikely places. Much of this adoration comes from their extraordinary flexibility--uncommon for a band, which, on paper would seem so boilerplate.

In spite of their many permutations there is really nothing like Full of Hell laid bare which is exactly what they offer with Trumpeting Ecstasy. Strip away the noise of Merzbow or the murky aesthetics of The Body and you're left with a unrelenting force that encompasses just about every form of heavy music that exists. Mixing metal and its numerous breeds (sludge, death, black...and so on and so forth), all at once, with grind and hardcore sounds like it should be a mess (spoiler: it is.) But that's always been the beauty of Full of Hell, and admittedly the oft utilized aesthetic they prescribe to. Trumpeting Ecstasy a bit of an anomaly, comparatively, as it feels almost...accessible? It still shares the emblematic adornments one would expect from the band: short songs, uncompromising energy, inventive use of noise, and so on and so forth. The death metal influences that have always seemed like the other side of the band's coin is brought even more into the spotlight, with tracks like "Crawling Back to God" acting as straight early to mid aughts death. When it seems like the band sticks to this path, blistering reminders in the form of "The Cosmic Vein" and "Fractured Quartz" emphasize that Full of Hell are still punks at heart.

Yet there is a method to all the madness, a sort of natural structure underlining the record. "Digital Prison" and "Crawling Back to God" are strikingly different songs, but flow into one another and compliment each other so well that it would be hard to imagine them being a part. Bouts of fury and pummeling hysteria are met with odd calm, like in the album's title track, which may seem jarring at first but are elucidating in context. All of this comes together in the confines of a short but explosive collection; a tighter and more dense creation than Full of Hell have ever done. Trumpeting Ecstasy may not surpass the brilliance of the collaborative works with Merzbow, or even The Body, but Full of Hell's prolificity has not dulled the brilliance that has always been there.

Phrenelith Desolate EndscapeKrallice Prelapsarian
Mono Requiem For HellGorguts Pleiades' Dust
Deftones GoreCobalt Slow Forever
Chamberbelain (4)
Full of Hell raise the bar for Grind metal...

coma2rium
May 5th 2017

This album is fucking nasty.

AOTY so far for me.

Xenophanes

It's good, ya

Digging: Boris - Dear

coma2rium

Xenophanes
May 5th 2017

No, they've come to town a couple of times but I always forget to go

zaruyache

EyesWideShut

yea this is a good one.

Evokaphile
May 5th 2017

This album is most defs a gooder. Nice write-up.

Digging: Phace - Shape The Random

Spluger
May 5th 2017

Great review dude. This is quickly becoming my favorite Full of Hell full length, it's a bit too early to judge though.

I love that sample at the beginning of Crawling Back to God so much.

"The bones of man. The brittle remnants of cosmic torment that once made him wonder if matter was Lucifer upward groping back to his God. And yet now, he knew better."-EUAGHH

Digging: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

Evokaphile
May 5th 2017

this thread is gonna be lit, I can feel it in my loins

accompliceofmydeath
May 5th 2017

Band continues to deliver.

Digging: The Acacia Strain - Gravebloom

elliootsmeuth
May 5th 2017

"Have you ever had the opportunity to see these dudes live? its an absolute shitshow in the best possible way."

Still the best live show I've ever been to.

owen
May 5th 2017

why does Werner hate the jungle so much?

Digging: Brandon Seabrook - Die Trommel Fatale

Hawks
May 5th 2017

This rips so fucking hard man.

Brewtality91
May 5th 2017

They opened for Immolation and Cavelera bros. Didn't see them though. Something (a lot) tells me I'd be bored

Digging: Temple of Void - Of Terror And The Supernatural

MarsKid

4 ones, at least 2 from sach alts

Never change

Hawks
May 5th 2017

Not boring in any way so idk why you would be bored.

kingdedethefifth
May 5th 2017

Full of Hell is fury on steroids so a man with his username as Brewtality should almost definitely enjoy this.

Digging: Faith No More - Angel Dust

MillionDead
May 5th 2017

Saw these guys live in Memphis. Everything before them was pretty average, but when they started playing my heart started beating so fast and I couldn't stop smiling.

Digging: Arto Lindsay - Mundo Civilizado