The Band Of Gypsys album was recorded live on New Years Eve 69-70. Live at the allmighty Fillmore East venue. this is probaly different than any other hendrix live album becasue there was not a single hit song on this album. this was becasue he was heading in a different direction with this new band.
he got together with his old army buddy billy cox and drummer buddy miles.
1) Who Knows- Wow! what a way to kick it off. the intro is jimi playing a simple but amazing riff that gets louder and louder by the second. then the rest of the band kicks in and they all seem to be really coming together on this track and playing great.and billy cox just seems to never miss a note throughout the whole song. but what thing that i dont really like on here is that "doo doo dah" singing by buddy miles. thats the best way i know to describe his singing in the middle of the song. definitely one of my favorites.
2) Machine Gun- this was obviously a huge anti war statement. if you notice at the beginining he dedicates it to all the soldiers in vietnam. this is a hendrix classic IMO this is jimi's best playing ive ever heard. and probaly the best version of the song ive heard and believe me ive heard quite a few. the rhythym section is just groovin along never missing a beat. GREAT song
3) Changes- now this is not an original jimi tune original buddy miles tune. but of course they put their own spin on it. great wah-wah guitar on this. and some fantastic drumming. thise a pretty good track. and a little bit of a change of voice this time buddy is singing.
4) Power To Love- this track is great and perfectly demonstrates the chemistry between the power trio. everything is just "on" on this track. what a great track
5) Message Of Love- i find this track ok. its a pretty good track its just that i like a lot of the songs on the album more than others. its just a personal preference kind of thing. i do like the guitar work though.
6) We Gotta Live Together- this a really funky and groovin track. they really seem to get the audience goin so that they are really gettin into it. and theres this strange but great chemistry between buddy's voice and jimi's guitar playing. whatever buddy would be singing jimi's guitar would match almost like some sort of game but not really. great way to close this album
overall rating 5/5
i can honestly say i cant find anything wrong with this album. it just rocks as simple as that. if you're into rock music or any kind of music in general i would highly recommend this album for you. :thumb: