Mors Principium Est
Embers of a Dying World

by Zachary J. Dixon USER (73 Reviews)
February 14th, 2017 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blooming from a phoenix's ashes.

Mors Principium Est's "Embers of a Dying World" is compelling and brimming with an unbridled sense of serenity. It's not groundbreaking. No envelopes are being pushed, and it's safe to say Mors Principium Est is thinking rather inside the box on this album. What makes this record just so damn enjoyable, however, is just how well they execute all you expect from a melodic death metal album. You expect some fun catchy riffs and occasional shreds, you expect mid range snarls and inflections of sweet melodic cleans, and this album has no shortage of these qualities. This band is unrestrained in its ability to give you the absolute best of each of these common sounds of melodeath.

Really, sometimes there isn't anything wrong with working with what you know, using the foundations that bands like Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, and (old) In Flames helped to form (not to take away from Mors Principium Est's role, that is). If this means an amalgamation of glorious, stellar riffs and arpeggios that rear their head from time to time, such as those found off of "Death is the Beginning" and "In Torment", what is there to be dissapointed with? The riffs are the perfect balance between being simple and catchy and being blazing and technical, showing immense levels of innovation while sticking firmly to their roots. If they are sounding like the star of this album, it's because they really are. They manage to remain at the forefront of the album, and yet they don't ever create that sort of "musical shroud" where other instruments are essentially buried. This shows how knowing how to remain creative while not necessarily hogging the show can really pay off.

Working in conjunction with the incredible guitar work are some nasty, beastly snarls. They don't hit some really spectacular ranges, so you will not see a lot of variation, but the mid-to-high gutturals off this album are convincing and vibrant. Something similar can be said about the drumming off this record-there aren't any truly wild fills, nor are there many ridiculously intricate drum patterns, but they are supplemental to the foundation of the album. Not such in a manner that they hug the guitars and remain tasteless and boring, but more so that they know when that extra bash is needed to give a song some extra power. They're heavy hitting, occasionally pummeling, but are generally just well paced, even if this means a certain level of restraint.

As atypical as this album is, the biggest level of brilliance on this album is the melody. They have female leads on the album on a few occasions, and this woman (Maiju Tommila) has the voice of a seraph. She croons some of the sweetest pieces of this album, and as relatively rarely as she appears, when she does it truly elevates you into euphoria. Accompanied by solos that crescendo in gratuitous magnitudes of grace and some light and aloof synths playing in the background, there are pieces of this record that take you into a land unlike the world were in today. One where evil and sin haven't tainted the minds of anyone, where everything is peaceful and people live harmoniously. While we may never have a world like that, we have "Embers of a Dying World" and that sure as hell is close.

Days N Daze Rogue TaxidermyCity of Caterpillar Driving Spain Up A Wall
Execration (NOR) Return to the VoidImpure Wilhelmina Radiation
Whoredom Rife DommedagskvadNokturnal Mortum Verity

Xenorazr
February 14th 2017

Nice review man, you definitely stepped up for this one. Pos'd.

I was thinking about reviewing this, but kind of hoped someone else would. I agree with the review and rating, really solid stuff.

February 14th 2017

Yeah thanks dude, i'll give props to Gameofmetal on this one. He gave me some of the simplest yet best advice on reviewing-just write how the album makes you feel. Also whoever did that Origins review (eluveitie) really inspired me as well, reminding me that you are a music lover before a reviewer. Also I was really hoping to get my first featured review so I really put some effort into this one.

zaruyache
February 14th 2017

Prob should name their female vocalist instead of just calling her "this woman."

February 14th 2017

Yeah, will do. I couldn't find her name initially.

February 14th 2017

Great review man, loved the album myself. Just a quick question:

"but the mid-to-high gutturals off this album are convicting" You meant "convincing"?

Keep it up!

Digging: Heinali - Anthem

February 14th 2017

I meant convicting thinking it was a tense of conviction but apparently it's not even a word lol fuck me

February 14th 2017

Should I remove/change it?

February 14th 2017

Well a convict is someone who has commited a crime so it doesn't make much sense to me that the gutturals of this good man are guilty of smth? lol I don't know man.

If you say the gutturals are convincing, it kind of makes sense to me.

Evokaphile

Doesnt sound like something id rate above a 2 tbh

Digging: Incantation - Profane Nexus

February 14th 2017

Conviction can also mean a firmly held belief which I realize that doesn't even work well here, I really fucked up my word usage, lol I usually make sure I have some dictionary site at hand in case I fuck up

February 14th 2017

Exactly, and "Convincing" derives from "Conviction" ;)

February 14th 2017

Yeah you can tell I didn't pass my grammar lessons lol

ScuroFantasma
February 14th 2017

Nice review, never listened to this band but I keep passing by their CD at the store. Might give them a shot now.

Digging: Vampyric Blood - Howling in Candlelight

parksungjoon
February 14th 2017

scuro check out the unborn it's prob their best and it goes hard

ive only heard their first 3 but theyve always been a solid band to say the least

ScuroFantasma

Sure thing

MalConstant
February 14th 2017

The riff from 'The Ghost' is still in my head. So many catchy riffs in this one and it's really well produced too... The vocals sound fantastic. Really solid MDM album, and I'm happy to see this band isn't really slowing down.

Hawks

Gotta jam this hard.

Digging: Slow - V - Oceans

February 15th 2017

I am not really a fan of the genre and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

botb
February 15th 2017

Haven't listened to this band in years but they used to be a favorite, I'll have to check this

Flugmorph
February 15th 2017

didnt knew there was a new album from those guys. Gonna wanna check ahrd

Digging: Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land