Miranda Lambert
The Weight of These Wings

by SowingSeason STAFF
December 23rd, 2016 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Happiness ain't prison, but there's freedom in a broken heart

The Weight of These Wings is a beautiful and personal record. While I’m not certain that the double album is entirely necessary – as with most releases of this type, I can narrow it down to 13-14 tracks that surpass it – I still admire a lot of things about what Miranda Lambert does here. As one of the most popular country artists in the world, she makes almost no bid whatsoever to turn this into a commercial or radio success. The instrumentation and production are stripped down, doing a one hundred eighty degree turn on her recent career trajectory. I respect that after a high-profile divorce with fellow country star Blake Shelton, she looks inward instead of lashing out or trying to set the record straight. During one of the most contentious moments of her life, she takes a chance to tell her side of the story and instead writes a moving string of personal reflections. Here, Lambert escapes the quaint, narrow-minded borders by which country musicians have more or less always been defined (whiskey, trucks, and divorce) in order to craft something with more emotional significance than mainstream appeal. In a way it reminds me of Jewel’s debut album, because a lot of these songs sound like they were written out of Lambert’s car while traveling through the heart of America with a guitar strapped to her shoulder. That probably isn’t the most apt comparison, but the fact that it crossed my mind speaks volumes about what this album is. The Weight of These Wings is an immensely personal, adamantly focused collection of tracks that were written less for us and more for Lambert’s own closure. It’s more raw and organic than what we typically hear from young country musicians nowadays, placing production squarely on the backburner in order to focus on the things that matter most: Miranda’s gorgeous vocals and heartfelt, storytelling lyrics which shed light upon her recent struggles and regrets, as well as her upbringing and where she’s from. It’s really just as much folk as it is country, which is a blend that suits Lambert quite well. Even if a handful of the twenty four songs present here don’t live up to her massive reputation as a country superstar, it’s forgivable when you look at the big picture of what Wings is: one of the best country albums of 2016.

Sometimes these wings
Get a little heavy
And I can't stay between the lines but I'm rocking steady
When I can't fly, I start to fall
But I've got wheels
I'm rolling on

Dryjacket For PosterityJustin Hurwitz La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
The Antlers In the Attic of the UniverseThe Killers Don't Waste Your Wishes
mewithoutYou Ten Storiesdne These Semi Feelings, They Are Everywhere

Nice soundoff.

December 23rd 2016

Nice review, I considered listening to this but passed. Lambert is definitely one of the best current mainstream country acts though.

"undoubtedly the best country album of 2016."

I doubt this :-P In fact it's probably not even the best country double album of 2016 (Lucinda Williams' The Ghosts of Highway 20 takes that).

Digging: Lambchop - Is a woman

December 23rd 2016

I listen to mostly pop country so yeah I should probably not have made a sweeping statement like that

Oh well too late

Oh and Sturgill Simpson shit

Better edit that last statement

theacademy

haha love you man

Asdfp277
December 23rd 2016

love the name, it reminds me of miranda cosgrove and adam lambert

December 23rd 2016

Anyways, you think I'd dig this Sowing? I can dig pop country on occasion (esp when it's female-fronted) but I generally prefer more stripped down, Americana stylings when it comes to modern country.

19969 Comments

''one of the best country albums of 2016.''

smfhgdysoab

sowing season worst reviewer final quarter 2016

December 23rd 2016

But this is one of the best?

out of how many

out of however many I've heard I dunno

December 23rd 2016

Which is what? This, Drive-By Truckers...

December 23rd 2016

I'm not the one on trial here! (but since I am, about 10 or so ~ my wife listens to country in the house and some of it goes in my ears)

Mods get married?

Yes but Jom has proclaimed Prima Nocta

Realm
December 24th 2016

This is my favorite anberlin album

December 24th 2016

miranda fucking lambert

what is this site

bigsoulja

sputnikmusic.com son
do they teach you NOTHING at that school of yours?

Spec
January 3rd 2017

dude the bus stop by my house advertises this i should listen