Jeff Rosenstock
Worry.

by no EMERITUS
November 27th, 2016 | 175 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

I love it when rockers get old. I loved it when the dude out of Superchunk started inducing his power pop with the existentialism that creeps in when he’s not writing it; I love that Stephin Merritt’s fiftieth birthday gives him an excuse to write fifty songs about being miserable; I think that every canonical recording artist through the ‘60s and ‘70s should be contractually obliged to make a record with Sunn O))). Jeff Rosenstock is only a thirty-something but I very much look forward to him, Stephen O’Malley and Greg Anderson getting in a room together and letting old age rip over a few loud chords.

The in with Rosenstock’s recent records is a cheap and easy one, which I hope I just set up at least a little bit: dude (a word I don’t often say, but he’s very much a dude) is getting old. At the same time as he’s growing up, his friends are growing into it: marriage, kids, jobs with computers and/or an underling staff. The pleasant living dynamics of eternity. He… is mostly drunk and yelling… about growing up. Rosenstock’s married, now, I think, maybe, do I care, so I don’t want to pile on this theory too hard -- but the cartoon version of him on We Cool?, and many of the stories told on WORRY., is very different. He’s living out piecemeal teenage love stories as a fully-fledged adult.

WORRY. studies love songs as they cross these weird [gruff voice] I’m gettin’ too old for this shit borders of maturity and self-respect. The genres are young as shit: ska and pop-punk, are of course, Rosenstock’s refinements, along with silly climaxes, dumb chord progressions and epic woah oh oh ohs, which Fest goers probably sing back so as to pass the songs they appear in as official legislation. The lyrics mourn for old apartments you know only you, the one true renter, could ever truly have lived in -- a rite of passage I’m now familiar with -- or else they’re about living in inertia and wanting to leave the city. Or clinging onto friends and loved ones as life feels like it’s in a dull fade. Or feeling powerless in the face of an overwhelming amount of information that suggests you shouldn’t be. Shit’s all hopelessness wrapped up in pop-punk candy. It reminds me of Malcolm In The Middle, such is its level of self-destructed euphoria.

In the midst of it, my favourite thing about the record is how it wants to be as young as it feels. “I wanna listen to the Cribs, my dear / while we make out in your car” is a line Rosenstock sings amidst the kinda song I feel you could easily listen to while making out in a car. Maybe he hopes by being meta he can break the fourth wall and skip straight to the making out. It’s pure wish fulfillment -- it’s as if he’s ringing on the jail bars of adulthood and asking why it has to be just this small, shitey room. Meanwhile, the best song of the album and potentially all time, “I Did Something Weird Last Night”, exists on the dramatic borders of high school and college, with its lyrics about skipping class to hang out and have sex, and the inevitable anxieties that occupy your mind in every minute you’re apart -- is there a same page and are we on it. “If I see you soon will you wanna see me?”, he sings on his own, then incites a gang vocal of “Or will you just wanna sneak away?”. It’s very young adult and maybe it’d be nice if everyone could just be confused forever, rather than passing through different levels of grown-up congratulation.

But it’s not like it sounds nostalgic, like Rosenstock wasted his best years. He is not being a windbag: in fact he’s screeching his way through this thing. The second half of this record is so continuously alive, so Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down-y, so careless and inseparable, that I start to feel like a couple of hands are gonna come out of the wax and drag me in. I can see it like that scene in Star Wars where the little chess figurines get turned on and start fighting, the vinyl spinning ‘round with a mini hologram Rosenstock and his band on top. They’re playing a show, fast, one and done, getting riled the fuck up over just about anything, so long as they can have a bloodbath and use the word asshole.

That second half is pure DJ euphoria: it sends up a bunch of pop-punk touchstones and warbly riffs and a drum machine why not, merely reaching for the catchiest hook and saying I love you or let’s dance or fuck that. It feels like a proper flipped b-side, trying to wash away some of the anxieties of its first half by actually responding to them: “I gotta let you know while I’m alive / ‘cuz everybody loves you when you die” is as good an example as any, with Rosenstock doing the song equivalent of running to the airport to tell someone he loves them enough for them not to have to get on the plane. Maybe the glorious thing about WORRY. Is that he’s realised he can live the super-romantic, heart-meltingly high-stakes life he’s always dreamed of. If We Cool? Was about being afraid of settling into the rest of your life, then this one seems to be about letting yourself get carried away with whatever balloons all your now-boring friends haven't yet popped. You can be one of many in a gang vocal forever.

But yeah. The song about the internet is not very good.

Okkervil River AwayOren Ambarchi, Kassel Jaeger, James Rushford Pale Calling
Huerco S For Those of You Who Have Never...The Mountain Goats Get Lonely
The Smith Street Band Throw Me in the RiverSharon Van Etten Are We There
4.2
Depreston Thurler (4.5)
Goodbye We Cool? World...

SnakeDelilah

mental pos

Digging: The Menzingers - After The Party

Excellent, excellent review

Digging: Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now

IronGiant
November 26th 2016

excellent review. album is a great treat for old and new fans alike

lol ffs why robin

Rowan5215
November 27th 2016

"so long as they can use they can have a bloodbath" is the only mistake I noticed. god-tier review as per

November 27th 2016

Staring Out the Window at Your Old Apartment has been stuck in my head all night

November 27th 2016

We were kinda drunk but it seemed alright

NorwichScene

2096 Comments

Wow high ratings. I've added it to my list to check out

Digging: The Menzingers - After the Party

yes come on

November 27th 2016

Robin I've literally never heard a single second of any song by this guy. Would I love this?

F'ing pos'd from the heart btw

Digging: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Zombies on Broadway

You would like this Sowing

November 27th 2016

I feel like you'd like it more with the context of some of his other work. Try Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers for Disappoint and Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation

November 27th 2016

Oh shit this is the guy from BTMI? Only ever heard Vacation but I loved it. I'll get on this.

November 27th 2016

This takes influences from every point in his career, from the clean guitars ballads turning into fast ska-punk songs

Pangea

Amazing review

Digging: Sampha - Process

: )

deathschool
November 28th 2016

This review is on fucking point.

"maybe it’d be nice if everyone could just be confused forever, rather than passing through different levels of grown-up congratulation."

Fuck yeah.

danielito19
December 1st 2016

fantastic review. jeff was on npr the other day and the dude pronounced his name as rahzenstoke. i guess that's because everyone on npr is named ira and they don't know how to pronounce any other names

welp

December 1st 2016

"Oh shit this is the guy from BTMI?"

classic Sowing