We the Wild
From The Cities We Fled

by Ben Kuettel STAFF
October 29th, 2016 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Modest beginnings of We The Wild make way for a debut album of fury, dazzling instrumental technicality, and just the right amount of melody throughout.

We The Wild is a young group from Portland, Oregon, but their musicianship reveals seasoned players with a ferocious attitude. From The Cities We Fled is their passionate expression of everything from personal confessions to assertions about the state of modern music. Genre-bending techniques impressively never sound gimmicky or forced, with compositions that defy explanation; the title track for example resembles the most insane moments of Mastodon filtered through a post-hardcore aesthetic. Blistering guitar riffs are a near constant and border on being relentless, lending to the strengths of “Exodus and Decay” and “2001.”

The jazzy drumming and mind-bending guitar playing from We The Wild rarely gets overwhelming, with a healthy dose of melody in each song. Emotive expressions add further dimensions to their sound, with softer, melodic moments within “Still Asunder” and “Terrible, Terrible” showing an impressive understanding of dynamics. The ending trio of tracks forming a musical suite begins with “King of Wounds,” a heartfelt and confessional ballad of sorts. Despite the frenzied sound throughout, a sense of careful yet straightforward method of control is placed over how it functions. Tracks like “King of Wounds,” “Still Asunder,” and “Roxy the Cops are Here!” are each as catchy as they are frenzied.

Despite being infantile as a group, We The Wild show command over their influences while being wholly original, and impossible to ignore. The passion is ever-present, and From The Cities We Fled is a bold statement from a band with a bright future ahead.

Toby Driver MadonnawhoreUlver The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Mastodon Emperor of SandBlackfield Blackfield V
Riverside Eye of the SoundscapeMeshuggah The Violent Sleep of Reason

SheWatchedTheSky
October 29th 2016

We The Wild is dope af!

TalonsOfFire
October 30th 2016

This band is crazy talented. People who are more into post-hardcore than I am should check this out, deserves more attention.

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

24gadjet
October 31st 2016

This sounds better than a 3.5, gonna check it immediately though because the search for good post hardcore is never ending

November 1st 2016

this is good stuff... 3 songs in and i'm really digging

Digging: Hasan - Hasan Goes Crazy

November 1st 2016

I can see this growing, and I don't even have a liking much to this genre. Definitely a solid album

swordsforhands
November 2nd 2016

Wow this finally got a review.

Digging: Deadverse - Caution To The Wind

grandfather
November 3rd 2016

This is good as hell. Glad as fuck I randomly checked the review.

November 3rd 2016

Same, and I bought it via Bandcamp!

grandfather
November 3rd 2016

Going to do the same, and probably the CD sooner or later too. Really hope they get some decent attention

FullOfSounds
November 3rd 2016

Giving this a listen tomorrow.

"The jazzy drumming and mind-bending guitar playing"

oh man this is gonna rule

Digging: Satellite Jockey - Modern Life

November 4th 2016

I wouldn't say it's as intense as that, but still really great drumming and guitar work

Calc

this vocalist is in 30 bands I swear but I can tell I'm going to like this

Digging: PARTOUT PARTOUT - c o u c o u

TalonsOfFire
November 4th 2016

Yeah you'd prob dig this Calc

FullOfSounds

This is decent

Ecnalzen
November 14th 2016

This is super fun.

April 5th 2017

this still needs more love