Queensryche
Operation: Mindcrime II

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
May 29th, 2006 | 45 replies | 20,551 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

So, sometimes, a band decides "Hey, we've been generally failures ever since this one album, why not make people think we're making a return to the past?" Queensryche, despite finding fame and fortune with arguably one of their worst albums (Empire), have not been the same since the progressive masterpiece that was Operation: Mindcrime. So, they decided they would continue the concept they left off with, and supposedly create a part two. What was the result? Well, it sounds like a bad Metallica album. Uninspired riffs, minimalist drumming with few interesting fills or even cool rhythms, and bass that generally just follows whatever the guitars are doing.

Even so, it's not like Operation: Mindcrime was an outstandingly technical album, although it was undoubtedly better than this. How is the amazing concept this time around? It is frankly indecipherable. I guess Queensryche thought that confusing the listener is the best way to craft a story, as unless you extensively research/give the concept a huge amount of thought, you just wont understand it. And even after all that, it really is completely under whelming, leaving me wondering why bother to make this album?

It isn't to say the album is completely bad, as Queensryche does still have a certain charm about them. The vocals are fairly standard rock affairs, but even with the bland musicianship, there are interesting moments where a chorus comes in, and they still can make interesting songs as wholes, as evidenced by the dynamic "The Hands." However, this is a very disappointing release, and reserved only for fans of Queensryche.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
PsychicChris (3)
At least Ian Anderson had the good sense to release Thick As A Brick II under his own name......

backtothe80s (1)
Revolution Calling > I'm American...

scissorlocked (3.5)
Sequels: A Mindcrime or not?...

May 29th 2006

I'm working on a full review of this, but I figured I'd use this as a placeholder, and so that other people could give their 2 cents on the album while they wait.

kno_kontrol
May 29th 2006

good blurb, gives me more reason to hate Queensryche

masada

"I'm American" is trash.

ubercow
July 15th 2006

how can u not like Queensryche! Geoff Tate has one of the greatest voices in rock history, and Operation: Mindcrime 1 is a GREAT album.

July 15th 2006

I love Operation: Mindcrime, but this is trash. This is one of my blurbs turned reviews...meh, it isnt too bad.

July 16th 2006

I just got this. I only liek 4 tracks on it. It's a bummer.

met65
July 17th 2006

kno_kontrol, if you hate queensryche, why are you reading this review?

deflepp0925
July 17th 2006

empire is fucking great
you suck although mindcrime 2 is trash

Iai
January 10th 2007

I don't know. I kinda like this album. It's not on the level of the original, obviously, but it's still easily the best Queensryche album since Promised Land, maybe Empire. I'll happily admit it's little more than a melodic hard rock record with a dash of cheese and pompousity to keep things interesting, but that's enough for me.

Too long though.

Bfhurricane
February 21st 2007

I must get this to determine for myself if it's any good

Yazz_Flute
June 24th 2007

hmmm...i have operation: mindcrime the orignal, its the only album i own from queensryche. Is this worth getting? or should i get another album by the band. Any suggesstions for which of the bands' albums to get next?

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Bfhurricane
June 24th 2007

check out my review for their greatest hits. You should pick that up, its better than any other individual album. But their debut should be cheap and the 4 or so tracks on it are well worth it.

Yazz_Flute
June 24th 2007

thanks ill check one of them out then

June 24th 2007

Greatest Hits is NOT better the Operation: Mindcrime because that album is a solid listen. Empire would be second.

FR33L0RD
July 19th 2007

I think that i never listen to this band
I will get their masterpiece Operation: Mindcrime

July 19th 2007

and get Empire.

Willie
October 3rd 2007

One of their worst? It may not be their best, but what about every album released after Promised Land? They're all worse then Empire.
So, what ever happened to the rest of this review???

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

October 3rd 2007

Um this is supposed to be a Blurb if you remember those. Apparently this was constituted to be enough for a review...ugh, I really don't want to write a review for this cause it sucks bad.

Willie
October 4th 2007

I remember those, that was back when I was still just using this site for reviews and not actually contributing.

Anyway, you don't have to write one, obviously... I was just calling you out on your old comment... maybe I'll write one for it.This Message Edited On 10.03.07

longtee35
June 8th 2008

This album is a mixed bag. There are a few decent songs and it is the best thing since the first one they have done. However, you can't go home twice. They waited too long for a followup.