Finntroll
Jaktens Tid

by NorseLaQuet USER (3 Reviews)
May 22nd, 2006 | 21 replies | 39,710 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

The new metal genre is sweeping the frozen wastelands of the north. What is this new sound? TROLL METAL! The bringers of this new creative fire are Finnish metal/polka players Finntroll, with their unique mixture of storytelling, mythology, and plain barbarism that is best served cold with a side of flesh.

The album is best enjoyed by someone who either knows Swedish, or has a translation handy. There are a few English translations of Finntroll lyrics on the internet; however, many of those are rather awkward and inaccurate. Mostly the lyrics follow the story of a Troll-King and his minions raping, pillaging,and killing christians.

But even if you don’t have the lyrics, the album is still a great ‘background’ listen. The melodies are pervasively provocative throughout the album, and several tracks are very well orchestrated.

The musicianship on this album is of very high quality. There are guitars, keyboards, double bass along with electric bass, accordions, and a tight drum section. All of the instruments are very well played, however the guitars are sometimes overly simplistic. Also one can find the frequent huppa (Finnish polka) rhythms somewhat boring in the long haul. The vocals are good, with some growling in Finnish, but the best parts of the vocals are the clean vocals on a few of the songs.

Overall a very unique album with an interesting outlook on metal music as a whole, however it is not easily accessible, and some may be turned off by the vocals being in another language. But if you are a metal fan who appreciates a more ‘classical’ approach to music, then you will find this album enjoyable.

Good Tracks:
Födosagan
Jaktens Tid
Krigsmjöd
VargTimmen
Aldhissla

Mister Mop
May 22nd 2006

i got nattford coz this metal head in a CD store recommended it....i think i might get this too if its as good as nattford

Mister Mop

btw...good review

CaptainWaits
May 22nd 2006

This albums excellent folk metal. It was my first Finntroll, and still my favorite to this day.

Shadows
May 22nd 2006

I can't stand this band at all.

Zak_262
May 22nd 2006

iv really been getting into folkmetal bands lately and finntroll is one of the best iv heard. If you like finntroll check out the band moonsorrow they're really good to

NorseLaQuet
May 22nd 2006

"I can't stand this band at all."

perhaps you would like to elaborate a bit?

Shadows
May 22nd 2006

The melodic/black metal/folk parts are great, but the polka sections make me sick to my stomache. I can't stand listening to something that ridiculous.

Silenius

m/

Polka+Trolls = slaughters the feeble Christians.

A classic for sure.

WeezerTool523
May 23rd 2006

I like this album, very different than most metal I listen to.

Anglachel
November 16th 2006

"m/

Polka+Trolls = slaughters the feeble Christians.

A classic for sure."

:lol:

Ok review.This Message Edited On 11.16.06

Baldrick
December 1st 2006

Troll metal pwns.

HeadCharge123
June 1st 2008

This band are such a fun listen

Zyhaal
February 28th 2010

Probably should check this out. Their newest efforts is awful compared to Nattfödd.

buddhaabdi
May 26th 2010

This album is PERFECT. PERFECT I said.

Dryden
May 26th 2010

u sure

DeathByAstonishment
August 1st 2012

The fuck is this? I don't even...

DeathByAstonishment
August 1st 2012

This album angers me, and not in a productive way.

October 12th 2012

19674 Comments

This band makes me happy : )

foxblood
March 8th 2013

man i really need to start jammin this band again

foxblood
April 2nd 2013

oh man it's been a while since i've jammed this, forgot how next level this shit is. way better than their new stuff, and that's still pretty good