Brand New
Deja Entendu

by icaught fire444 USER (1 Reviews)
May 20th, 2006 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

1. Tautou- intro song. Only 1:34 seconds. Nothing great. The drums are well done though. It adds suspense to the song. It wouldnít be my first choice for an opening song but it was pretty well done for an intro. Really boring for me, but its ok for 1:34 seconds. 5/10

2. Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades- Starts off with an interesting base line. Really catchy, and kind of poppy. Then Jesse goes into kind of a suspenseful rap verse and then it eventually builds up to the chorus when the other guitarist comes in singing really suspenseful and eventually it builds up into him screaming. The chorus has duel vocals and distorted guitars. the really fast singing almost ruins it, but it gets saved when they scream the line "die young and save yourself." The lyrics go into a lot of detail about a guy who just had s*x with a girl. Its similar to "lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" my P!ATD. Very nice 1st song. 9 /10

3.I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light- pretty much about winter and going on a road trip and getting lonely. Starts off with acoustics and then the chorus goes into distorted guitars and nice duel lyrics. The bridge is really different. Itís similar to the chorus but different lyrics and it makes the song differ, a fun song to dance to even if its still rock because of the Mexican touch in the verse with the acoustic guitar. 8/10

4. Okay I Believe You, but My Tommy Gun Don't- the best song on the cd. It's sort of humorous because Jesse sounds really conceded by saying lines like "I am all you've ever wanted" and "Iím heaven sent, donít you dare forget." Simple but catchy power chords in the beginning. Then after 2 verses the song goes into the chorus which is my favorite part, it gives me goosebumps every time because itís such an awesome transition. Awesome duel vocals in the chorus. This song has the best breakdown ever in my opinion when Jesse goes from singing and builds up into screaming and then into the chorus. The third verse Jesse is very brave but is 100% true about teenagers in general by using lines like "we admit to the truth" and "oh my tongueís the only muscle on my body that works harder then my heart." 10/10

5. The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows- Another great song. Very dramatic. I remember seeing the video for this song when it came out and I loved it. Starts off with slow guitars and then goes into a heavy distorted intro and then to a punkish kind of verse. The chorus is the same as the intro with words. Great build up into the outro. The outro is very slow and eventually builds up into a very dramatic part of the song where the vocals repeat "I lie for only you" and then back into the chorus. it also has a great ending with the guitar playing a few last notes. 9 1\2 /10

6. The Boy who blocked His Own Shot- My other favorite track on the album. This is also another very lonely song about a breakup. Awesome acoustics. Everything is perfectly arranged and you can hear the bass line perfectly when it comes in during the verse. The drums in the verse make for a catchy verse as well. Then the chorus stops and Jesse says "call me a safe bet. I'm betting I'm not." and then it goes into an awesome bridge with distorted guitars playing the same chords but arranged differently. Then it repeats it all over again. 10/10

7. Jaws Theme swimming- Cool intro with the bass and guitar switching off parts. The duel vocals in the verse are nice. The verse is the same thing as the intro with words. It has well done duel vocals in the verse when needed and they do a good job only having it once in a while in the verse. The chorus isnít anything special but the guitars are well done. 7/10

8. Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis- a very slow song until the end. Jesse gets a little off key at times, but besides that heís fine. The almost whispering lyrics are relaxing, especially the duel lyrics. The guitar in the beginning is very clean and almost sounds like a classical guitar. A nice song to listen to when you're tired. The song gets amazing when the drums and the distorted guitar some in. The clean guitar goes along great with the other parts. the screaming almost ruins it and so does the really high singing. 7/10

9. Guciera- I love the bass line in this song and the drums. The singing in the beginning is similar to the beginning of Sic Transit Gloria with the almost rapping. The chorus is very Brand New with the duel lyrics and the distorted guitars. The breakdown is interesting but gets a little old after awhile. It is very different form the usual brand new and almost sounds like A.F.I. 7/10

10. Itís Good To Know That if I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die- very unusual intro. The guitar is relaxing and is claming. The singing sounds very different something Brand New would do. It sounds like Jesse is speaking gibberish because his words are very mumbled. Another distorted, duel lyrics, Brand New chorus. Then thereís a really weird break down with the guitars and a lot of techno, almost sounds like the twilight zone but the guitars save it from wrecking the song. Another strange thing about this song is its 7 minutes long. So the breakdown is a minute or 2. Then it goes back to the chorus and transitions from the breakdown perfectly. The outro is the same as the breakdown and is played for the last 2 minutes or so. If you have patience to listen to a 7 minute song it is worth your time...most of it is. 7/10

11. Play crack the Sky- I can't stand this song. The acoustics are ok but its very slow. It's not a bad thing but I guess Brand New just couldnít pull it off. Another kind of tone deaf Jesse sounding song. I haven't listened to this one very much but its not great. The worst song on the album I think.
3/10

The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
Guciera

Pros-
Duel Vocals
Guitars differ for diffrent styles of music

Cons-
Jesse can sound tone deaf
Can overdo the breakdowns

this is my first review so compliments and constructive criticism are appreciated!

4.2

thereisnohappyhere16
May 25th 2006

i though play crack the sky was one of the standout tracks.

Concubine

Repetitive

May 25th 2006

Play Crack The Sky is a lovely ballad, one of my favorite songs on the cd, and this is one of my favorite cd's of the past 5 years or so. You just need to listen to it more, or something, its a near perfect song. Even Straylight Run covered it.

May 25th 2006

Also, the spelling at times is a bit off.

Iluvatar
May 25th 2006

Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades is an absolutely fantastic song. A friend of mine who swears by blacl/death metal even thinks it an amazing song.

Pyramidman
May 25th 2006

this whole CD is amazing!

Big Tone
May 25th 2006

I couldnt wait for Brand New to come to my town, but the show is already sold out.

This review is descriptive, but the spelling takes me out of it.

Play Crack The Sky is the best song on here, its the only song i can play fluently on my guitar (i'm a beginner)

May 27th 2006

yea ive only listened to play crack the sky once or twice, i guess i should listen to it again though by what you guys say. it didnt realkly get my attention though. it was pretty much the only song on the album that i thought "wasnt good."

May 27th 2006

i suck at spelling. but i fixed it.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 1st 2006

Eh, I'm not that impressed with this review. YOu did describe the tracks well, but that's all you did. It might be just me, but I prefer a little background, album comparison, humour, etc. Keep tyring, though because it wasn't too bad.

metallicaman8
June 3rd 2006

Where's the intro? You went right into you TBT.

June 4th 2006

i didnt have a bio or anything. i should probably put one on tho

kno_kontrol
June 9th 2006

not a very good review. You lack an introduction and your descriptions are mediocre at best.

Storm In A Teacup
June 11th 2006

Guys, it was his first review.

June 11th 2006

But I wanted to do this in the future sometime, its a life changing album for me musically. I just want to get confortable writing reviews before I attempt it.

guitarplaya91
April 24th 2007

"It's sort of humorous because Jesse sounds really conceded by saying lines like "I am all you've ever wanted" and "IÔŅĹm heaven sent, donÔŅĹt you dare forget."

My friend's aunt went to school with Jesse Lacey and he came to their high school reunion and has become quite conceided (according to him) ever since they became famous.