DMA's
Hill's End

by Elliott S. Edwards STAFF
March 6th, 2016 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Who could ask for anymore?

In the furor of revisionist history, we tend to forget that Oasis's supposed crossover into the mainstream was all but ignored by critics upon initial release. It's easy to read the NME today and see the legend of What's the Story (Morning Glory)? flogged for all its worth on page after page of vapid fawning; it's even easier to forget the same rag originally graced said album with a modest 7/10 score. The reason for all those tepid responses wasn't unjust, though; ...(Morning Glory)? was and still is nothing more than an album of good pop songs. The difference is it crossed over and appealed to people without needing to do anything impressive. It was just a really good album. Much like Oasis before them, DMA's are more than willing to invite comparisons to their influences, and are able to articulate themselves better than most victims of the hype machine can. Hill's End isn't impressive by any measure of ambition or wildness; it's just a really good album.

If all those comparisons to the Gallagher brothers seems ungainly, then give some consideration to lead singles "Too Soon" and "Lay Down"; it's hard not to embrace the sound of Cool Britannia when it's so readily referenced. They're from Sydney, New South Wales, but they specialize in a sort of music triumphed by Northern English nerd'wellers. Their live performances appear to be homage, a presence that finds itself somewhere between The Stone Roses' lackadaisical glory and Blur's campy tomfoolery. But beneath all that posturing is a wealth of hooks that all but excuse such easy similes. That's evident enough on opener "Timeless", which takes to pedaling an infectious chorus over anything that might be considered challenging. It sets a precedent for Hill's End, which flexes its melodic muscles in fashion without ever getting anxious about how 'been there, done that' it all is. These songs aren't particularly original or inventive. They shamelessly dance around in the sound of others, eager to please if not challenge or provoke. Then again, the originals they so shamelessly rip-off and reappropriate were never much more than imitations of The Beatles and The Smiths; they just understood that good songs needed good hooks. Hill's End is an album of good songs with good hooks; who could ask for anymore?

Foo Fighters Concrete and GoldFuture Islands Singles

thanks to ComeToDaddy for editing. feedback appreciated. 3.7/5

Digging: Zola Jesus - Okovi

DoofusWainwright
March 6th 2016

Nice review but at the same time it tells me I'm probably not going to dig this bunch too much

Digging: East River Pipe - Shining Hours In A Can

WhiteNoise
March 6th 2016

They have some cool tunes but my god they dress like twats.

March 6th 2016

they're almost entirely britpop revival but the fact their songs are this good more than makes up for it

ComeToDaddy
March 6th 2016

Lay Down was fantastic, looks like I'll definitely pick this one up. Getting me in all the right places

March 6th 2016

they're touring through June, saw them at Laneway and can attest they're well worth the dosh

ScuroFantasma

Good write-up Arcade, will check

Digging: Saltvind - Saltvind

RadicalEd
March 7th 2016

Could use some decent britpop in my 2016. Will check.

Digging: Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble

schoonda
March 7th 2016

seen these guys at laneway too. Review sums up the album well, In the Moment is great.

Digging: IDLES - Brutalism

WhiteNoise

Ozpop

ComeToDaddy
March 9th 2016

It is exactly what I expected it to be after reading the review, and I'm actually pretty stoked about that.

September 2nd 2016

This is great

September 12th 2016

If there was a bit less 'Manc scally' copycat shenanigans going on this would be the best thing ever.

DoofusWainwright

Will check

September 12th 2016

First listen you'll think Jake Bugg bullshit but I'm telling ya doof dude this has some out right classics on it.

Laaaaayyyyy Dooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnn.

Futures
December 19th 2016

listen to this thanks

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

sixdegrees
December 20th 2016

Too Soon is a jam, reminds me of Catherine Wheel a bit.

Digging: Alcian Blue - Translucent

^ best song here imo

schoonda

In the Moment and So We Know are best jams here

Futures
December 20th 2016

think i will be the only one who votes this in my top 10 which is a shame. idk they're all good but delete is my biggest jam rn that swirling ending with those backing vox man