Return To Annihilation

by btati USER (7 Reviews)
December 1st, 2015 | 6 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Locrian are a 2-piece drone band from Chicago. They have an impressively long list of albums in their discography for only being around since 2005. Their older material was made up of long, ambient, drone pieces that were dark and intense but on their 2013 LP "Return to Annihilation" they have brought out a much more focused sounding record while still holding onto their drone roots.

The album is a unique mix of black metal, drone, and post rock while utilizing many electronic aspects throughout it all. The first track "Eternal Return" beings with dark sounding synth and immediately goes into post rock sounding section with screamed vocals. Already this record feels different than the previous Locrian releases because they waste no time in getting to the point. The second track "A visitation from the Wrath of Heaven" shows Locrian using their drone style but with more drum work with an almost dark synth pop feel. The majority of the track is very repetitive and once the listener feels like the track isn't going anywhere special, it does in almost the last minute, bringing it to a very epic finish.

These first two tracks give the listener a very good taste of what is to come. Return to Annihilation is full of dark drone moments that require patience but they ultimately pay off. The last track is well worth the wait as it encompasses every sound Locrian has mastered in their short lifespan and ends in a very satisfying way.

This was the first Locrian record I ever listened to and after hearing it I immediately went back through their catalog. I was very surprised at how their sound has evolved and how they have become more focused with each subsequent release. If you are a fan of more experimental sounding black metal with a great mood that is both dark and trance-like, then this is for you. Similar sounding albums would be Altar of Plague's "Teethed Glory and Injury" and Spectral Lore's "III" but with a much more electronic approach to it.

The Atlas Moth An Ache for the DistanceBig Brave Au De La
Darkside DarksideOld Man Gloom Seminar II: The Holy Rites of Primitivism Regressi
Wolves in the Throne Room BBC Session 2011 Anno DominiHorseback The Gorgon Tongue

Infinite Dissolution
recommended by reviewer
Altar of Plagues Teethed Glory and Injury

December 1st 2015

Can't believe there wasn't a review on sputnik for this until now. Bravo.

This album isn't really my thing but I can understand why some might enjoy it. Also the album cover is VERY cool.

December 1st 2015

I heard where they were going with this but I think they did a much better job with this sound on Infinite Dissolution. Locrian is still an awesome band. Listen to the split they did with Horseback (it's floating around on Bandcamp). Their split with Mamiffer was also interesting.

Good write-up as well.

December 4th 2015

this is pretty cool

Digging: Ryo Fukui - Mellow Dream

December 17th 2015

These guys are very close to blazing a new trail. Here was a first major step in the right direction.

August 15th 2016

wait is this heavy swans?

Digging: Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason