Gorgoroth
Antichrist

by Andrew W. Gold CONTRIBUTOR (110 Reviews)
November 13th, 2015 | 29 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The devil burns cold.

On the surface, Gorgoroth can seem like a gimmick band. They're a Norwegian black metal band named after the most evil land in The Lord of the Rings with stage names like Infernus and Pest, use overtly satanic lyrics, perform in black and white face paint, and the like. But the truth is, Gorgoroth authenticate the entire scene. The band fully commits to their alter egos to the point that you wonder if they’re alter egos in the first place. The music sounds like it came straight from the bowels of Mordor during a blizzard – ice cold and fervently dark. Gorgoroth embrace their stereotypes and pull them off with enough conviction to embody what the Norwegian black metal scene is all about.

Not much has changed since their debut Pentagram. The production is slightly crisper, the vocals are more dynamic (Hat and Pest split vocal duties this time), and the vaguely thrashy overtones are all but gone. Antichrist is pure unadulterated black metal. It flows seamlessly from beginning to end as a single 25-minute piece of music. Tracks like ‘Gorgoroth’ and ‘Heavens Fall’ highlight melodic progressions over blast beat laden tapestry, while ‘Possessed (by Satan)’ utilizes offbeat drum patterns to accentuate its unnerving atmosphere. Clean vocals rear their head in a couple tracks, namely the closer ‘Sorg’, which sounds like unsettlingly accurate droning ambiance from an occult monastery.

What separates Gorgoroth from the crowd is that they aren’t just putting on a show. They believe in what they do wholeheartedly. They’re playing “evil” in its aural form; it's their passion. And because they believe it, we believe it, and can willfully relish in the darkness alongside them.

Metallica Hardwired... to Self-DestructAvenged Sevenfold The Stage
Periphery Periphery III: Select DifficultyArchitects All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us
Bleeding Skies You Can (Not) DieLudwig van Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92

November 12th 2015

not my best but this desperately needed a review

November 13th 2015

Damn didn't even realize this didn't have a review tbh, nice work bro. Album slays so hard.

Digging: In The Woods... - Pure

November 13th 2015

i can't win with you jac

and ya hawks satan mustve been pissed. 'gorgoroth' is so fucking good

November 13th 2015

I always say this, but this band is underrate. I mean they have some duds in their discog for sure, but when they also have some straight up classics.

November 13th 2015

First 3 are bm classics for me, Ad Majorem is amazing, and Twilight slays too. The others are meh.

manosg
November 13th 2015

This one didn't have a review? Crazy indeed.

Good job Andrew.

Digging: Darkwoods My Betrothed - Witch-Hunts

BandNewbac
November 13th 2015

This is a good album yeah yeah wooooo.

Archelirion
November 13th 2015

I've got half a review for this sat on my computer that I just forgot about. Still, glad it got a review. Album slays.

FrozenVain
November 13th 2015

Shitty discog but their first three rule.

Really nice concise review.

Digging: Hikrahe - Lily (The Wilt)

zaruyache
November 13th 2015

I thought you were going to mention how they helped make all those gimicky aspects of the band part of the 'gimicky black metal' idea itself, rather than simply capitalizing on what was already established. They kinda did, didn't they? ;_____;

Digging: City of the Sun - To the Sun and All the Cities in Between

November 13th 2015

do they even have families? i can't picture infernus at a thanksgiving dinner

appreciate it man

Gameofmetal
November 13th 2015

spado being lovable as always

surprised this didnt have a review

Digging: Cultes Des Ghoules - Coven

November 13th 2015

thanks for reviewing this man :P

Digging: Swain - The Long Dark Blue

NeroCorleone80

stick to darkthrone

Digging: Dog Faced Hermans - Those Deep Buds

November 13th 2015

Darkthrone are the best, but this album still owns

KriegdemKriege
November 14th 2015

Shit shit shit shit shit shit

I have a half finished review of this from 2014 that I was planning on finishing someday.

Sorry to be a critic, but this is a really poor review. It is a good soundoff though. There are only five sentences about the songs here; the rest is just largely irrelevant talk about image. As Spado said, it's tired. I don't care what you think about the Norwegian black metal scene in 2015, I want to read why you think Antichrist deserves a 4. You have not explained that to my satisfaction.

November 14th 2015

i wish you had finished it, i just wanted to get a thread going. you should anyway

Darkthrone are the best, but this album still owns [2]