Foxing
Dealer

by Connor CONTRIBUTOR (32 Reviews)
October 27th, 2015 | 544 replies

Release Date: 10/30/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm alright, it's time I've moved on

The concept of getting up and moving on has always been a prominent lyrical centerpiece within any genre. Whether it’s moving on from the past or picking yourself up after heartbreak, artists seem to cling to this idea of starting again new. Foxing’s Dealer does just this in many aspects beyond lyrical content, setting themselves apart from their own past.

For Foxing, moving on doesn’t mean abandonment. In fact, musically, Dealer is an expansion of their sound, the next logical step for the band. They stay true to what set them apart from other emo bands with their continued incorporation of the trumpet, unique drumming, and atmospheric qualities. Yet this album is self-aware. It truly aims at becoming a cohesive album instead of a collection of songs, something The Albatross attempted to achieve yet didn’t develop fully. Each song bleeds into the next, and as the songs get started, their individuality shines through, setting themselves apart from one another. Transitions, like the ones from 'The Magdalene' to 'Night Channels' and 'Eiffel' to 'Coda', showcase Foxing’s ability to connect their ideas and themes musically.

Progressing from their previous work, Foxing’s sound strays away from emotionally charged vocal deliveries and explosive choruses. This isn’t to say that the climaxes are unsuccessful, because they truly are accomplished in many cases. Whether it’s the subtle crescendos in the instrumental track 'Winding Cloth', or the powerful lyrical climaxes framed by uplifting instrumentals found in 'Eiffel', Foxing excels at producing dynamic apexes. There is an obvious post-rock influence within their music, as many songs seem to take their time to develop, yet Foxing sets themselves apart from the genre as almost all songs stay under the 5-minute mark. The lush atmosphere that the instruments induce composes a dream-like quality to the entire album. The twinkly guitar stays in the background for most of the album, but cuts through when needed to generate peaks within individual tracks. The drums push the songs forward and add the needed movement within each track dynamically. Each instrument clearly has its role, yet all of them are united throughout the album.

Advancing their sound while enhancing the beauty of their music is exactly what Dealer sets out to do. In many cases, like on the tracks 'Indica' and 'Three on a Match', it succeeds, as the true beauty of the music glistens. Other songs fall just short like on 'Laundered' and 'Redwoods', as they are unable to build to something meaningful. Overall, Foxing has gotten past the dangerous game of recreating the past, and has instead constructed something that brilliantly moves on.

Ride Weather DiariesPalm (PA) Shadow Expert
Free Throw Bear Your MindAtalanta Tainted
Alter Pendulumamerican poetry club glad to be here, etcetera
Tom Day (4.5)
The musical embodiment of a moonlit forest....

Kyle N. (5)
Howling winds have turned to gentle rains....

The Albatross
recommended by reviewer
Foxing The Albatross

October 27th 2015

Still kind of new to this whole reviewing thing...any criticism is welcome!

Recommended tracks:

Eiffel

Glass Coughs

Weave

The Magdalene

Digging: Palm (PA) - Shadow Expert

JHCreviews
October 27th 2015

Great review! I actually planned on doing one for this album too. As much as I love this album, I miss some of the raw emotive vocals and more intense moments from The Albatross. Dealer is way more mature and calculated, but I love the intensity of songs like Inuit, and Bit By a Dead Bee pt 2.

October 27th 2015

Thanks man! and yeah I completely agree I miss the raw vocal delivery but man this album is really good even without the yells.

dbizzles
October 27th 2015

I agree with your review. I need to listen to this a few more times. I've heard the whole album once and have revisited several of the songs, so I'm still unsure about a ranking. I do like it, I'm just not sure how much.

Digging: Jozef Van Wissem and SQURL - Only Lovers Left Alive

October 27th 2015

Yeah it took me a couple listens to finalize my rating...I feel like it's an improvement from The Albatross but it's also missing some elements from The Albatross that I really liked. I'm still not sure what album I enjoy more

dangerousdarrin
October 27th 2015

Great review! It's a beautiful album even though I'm not in the mood for it right now. It will be perfect as a winter album I'm thinking.

October 27th 2015

thanks so much! and yeah i can definitely see it more as a late fall/winter album

BrushedRed
October 27th 2015

I absolutely adored The Albatross but if anything, from the first two singles out, this sounds even better. I can't wait. I'm not going to spoil it before Friday though.

October 27th 2015

yeah i getcha man. hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did!

MisguidedYouth
October 28th 2015

this album is fantastic. less emo and more on the indie side, similar to the antlers. just wish there was a little more variety, almost feels like they had one idea and made 11 tracks outta that idea. in addition to that, I'm thinking they tried to steer away from their emo sound. which ended up making a few of their songs sort of anticlimactic. even with that in mind, the album is still a great listen. definitely growing more on me with each spin.

October 28th 2015

good analysis of the album yeah I agree. I'd still consider this an "emo" album but its less so than The Albatross

elbaliem
October 28th 2015

This album is a grower. Kinda dissapointed when I heard this album for the first time because I really like the explosive vocals on the albatross.

oldsoul
October 28th 2015

Yeah I do miss some of the vocal elements from The Albatross, but I've been really liking this too

rufinthefury

rating is too low

October 28th 2015

rating was pretty hard to decide to be honest...I think it'll stay at a 4 honestly but I can definitely understand people giving it a 4.5 or 5

nychicano

Night Channels is so good

October 28th 2015

yeah the first three tracks are killer

BrushedRed
October 29th 2015

I'm expecting no less than a 4.5. I 4.5'd The Albatross. This'll probably be like a 4.7 in my book but since I'm not staff with their cool perks, I'll probably Insta-5, based on what I've heard. The rest may not be as good as the first two singles, but I'm expecting it to be.

Last time I expected a 4.5+ album though I was let down. Looking at you, The Dear Hunter Act IV

October 29th 2015

im curious as to how you will like this album

Lucid
October 29th 2015

surprised this didn't leak yet (only streaming)