Disturbed

by Irving Tan STAFF
August 16th, 2015 | 239 replies

Release Date: 08/21/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ooh-wah-ah-ah-ah?

With Immortalized, Disturbed return from their self-imposed hiatus with a looser and more organic sound that probably constitutes their largest stylistic shift since 2002’s Believe. This in itself is fairly remarkable, for over the years the American outfit has earned the rather unsavory reputation of often favoring reliability over ambition. Immortalized was recorded in Las Vegas under the purview of Kevin Churko (Ozzy Osbourne, Five Finger Death Punch), and his hand in Disturbed’s reorientation is particularly evident early on in the form of straightforward rockers like "The Vengeful One" and "Open Your Eyes", which power along at a satisfying, bone-crunching pace. While the album also has its fair share of bona fide, looks-like-we-just-broke-the-bottom-of-the-barrel moments ("Fire It Up" instantly comes to mind here), Disturbed manage to do just enough to keep metal purists from dispensing with them completely. Dan Donegan, for instance, remains a powerhouse on the guitar, and while meaty solos a la “Inside the Fire” and “The Night” are nowhere to be found, his uncanny ability to lock the rest of his band into a hard-hitting groove often proves to be the difference between success and failure. Elsewhere, David Draiman also puts in a solid shift, with his remarkably listenable cover of Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” proving to be one of the album’s highlights. The band’s decision to try out some of Churko’s new production elements also pays unexpected dividends, with songs like the surprisingly danceable “You’re Mine” and the atmospheric “The Light" balancing out some of Immortalized’s more ill-advised attempts at experimentation (“Save Our Last Goodbye”, for one, is a horrible, overproduced mess). Each of Disturbed’s previous albums managed to move over a million units each, and based on the quality of some of the material on offer, chances are there are many who will choose to get down with the sickness again this summer.

Run the Jewels Run the Jewels 3Yuna Chapters
The Observatory August is the CruellestThe Humble Act Accordingly
Deep Sea Diver SecretsNarc Twain Narc Twain
2.6

Irving
August 16th 2015

The full album can be streamed here:

But for a shortcut to the laughs, go to:

August 16th 2015

I'm sure I'll hate this. Nice review.

< 3

Digging: The National - Sleep Well Beast

Aerisavion
August 16th 2015

Shame Dan Donegan doesn't solo much here. Inside the Fire, Stricken and The Night are fantastic.
Good review though

Digging: PVRIS - All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell

Tunaboy45
August 16th 2015

Fire it up, smoke week everyday, keep it real and watch out for the government.

Digging: The National - Sleep Well Beast

Irving
August 16th 2015

Perfect review to describe an album like this, but nobody has answered my question; does it have wah-ah-ahs?!!?

Sadly there are none to be found. Guess I should have rated this album a 1/5 based on that alone.

August 16th 2015

i need an Insurrection soundoff to know if this is awful

Insurrection
August 16th 2015

you have all the information you need now

Mort.
August 16th 2015

insurrection could you copy and paste half of this review into one of your reviews so that way i can understand it thanks

Digging: Gigan - The Order of the False Eye

that's very helpful thanks

August 16th 2015

Insurrection, I have a question regarding your soundoff. You state that the space-time singularity dichotomy is actually a social construct. How can you back up such a ludicrous statement without simultaneously jeopardising your allegiance to the universally accepted string theory? In short what I'm asking is, is this album beatdown?

Insurrection

the answer is yes

Thank you.

August 16th 2015

i learned two new english words today thanks nimb

I do what I can. :]

Asiatic667

Oh God, Fire it up is horrid

Tunaboy45
August 16th 2015

Massive disappointment, I was hoping for a Snoop Dogg feature.

Arcade
August 16th 2015

word for word my exact thoughts on this album

Digging: Zola Jesus - Okovi

Toondude10
August 16th 2015

I knew you were going to review this Irving. Now I feel like my review was all in vain.

Great read anyways, love the summary.

Digging: Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns

miketunneyiscool123

Disturbed is the worst "Victim Of Changes' if you know what I mean! XD

Sabrutin
August 16th 2015

I kind of like The Light but this album is empty.

Asylum >