Trivium
Trivium

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (57 Reviews)
May 9th, 2006 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

This is my first review so I thought I�d pick something that wasn�t too long. Please give constructive criticism and don�t be too harsh.

This is a self financed CD that Trivium released before signing with Lifeforce Records and releasing Ember To Inferno.

At the time Trivium was:
-Matt Heafy: Vocals and guitar
-Travis Smith: Drums
-Paolo Gregoletto: Bass

This CD is mostly composed of songs available on Ember To Inferno. The guitar sound quality may not be as good as on Ember To Inferno, but the guitar sound is still crisp and Heafy�s voice still sounds strong. The song writing is almost as good as Ember To Inferno (considering most of these songs are on it).

To Burn The Eye:"A mind lost within its own self
Existing to feed its hunger
Your body hollowed empty shell
Awaiting feed of the ages
"

This is how the cd opens. Like every other Trivium song this one has a soft chorus and screaming everywhere else. This song has some good guitar and a solo. The solo isn�t Trivium�s best and doesn�t really bring anything to the song. 4/5

Requiem: Probably my favorite song on this cd. Starts out with a nice guitar riff and is followed by Heafy screaming:

"How can you just stand there and stare
The world burns alight the air
Fire of passion ignite
Open yourselves to fight
"

Same song structure as most of Trivium�s songs (soft chorus�). This song also includes a nice guitar solo. This song is more energetic than its predecessor and definitely has better guitar work. 5/5

Fugue: fugue: a musical composition in which themes are introduced and then developed and interwoven through different instrumental parts

Although the song doesn�t live up to its definition, it�s definitely another solid track. The soft and screaming vocals are more incorporated together than they usually are in Trivium songs and it gives this song a slightly different sound than the other ones. No solo on this song but personally I don�t feel a solo is really needed on this song. 4.5/5

My Hatred: Every metal band these days seem to have a song about hatred. Here is Trivium�s. Basically this is about some guy Heafy hates and how Heafy hates him and how Heafy�s going to end him. The lyrics definitely falter on this song because it�s a metal clich�. Instrument wise, this song is as good as any other on the disc. 3.5/5

The Storm: This song starts of with a soft acoustic intro that is immediately followed by an electric guitar riff. This is the first song on the disc that isn�t on Ember To Inferno. Basically this song is about the end of the world. Everything is chaotic, people are screaming and everything is crumbling. It has a nice guitar solo about half way through. It goes well with the song because the solo itself seems to have a chaotic feel to it. This is the longest song on the cd at 6:04 and every minute is worth listening to. This song should have been kept on Ember To Inferno. 4.5/5

Sworn: This song has a good beat but I can�t seem to get what the vocals are about. It looks like its about some black knights (as in black armors, the band isn�t racist) attacking a castle and killing everyone inside it. The chorus goes:

"This is the end of life
So say your prayers
" (x2)

Heafy doesn�t use his soft voice on this song. He doesn�t use his scream either. Its like a growl between the two. This song has a good guitar solo but the chorus definitely has room for improvement. 3.5/5

Demon: This song is basically about dying a horrible, painful death and then entering hell. Once again good guitar solo but the song just seems so uninspired. Heafy�s voice doesn�t seem to have any emotion in it at all. He doesn�t use his soft voice on this song either but seems to have given up on the growl.3/5

Pros:
-Great job instrument wise
-For the most part, good lyrics
-Nice soft vocals

Cons:
-Bassist hard to hear
-For the most part, good lyrics
-A few metal clich�s

Overall this is a good cd but isn�t really worth picking up because you can get every song except for The Storm and Sworn on the Ember To Inferno re-release. You�re better off downloading those two extra songs than buying the whole cd for them.

All Them Witches Lightning At The DoorAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Maneige Les PorchesDark Castle Spirited Migration

ToWhatEnd
May 9th 2006

Decent first review, just try to put a little more into describing the tracks. For example, the metal cliche you talk about is very broad since everyone has a different definition for what a metal cliche is. Also it would help if the lyrics were in italics.

I have not picked anything up by Trivium aside from Ascendancy which I thought was a little above average; 3 or 3.5 range for me so I doubt I'll pick this up. But about the review; pretty good job for a first effort which gets you a vote and a welcome. Keep the reviews coming.

Iai
May 9th 2006

This is a very good first review track-by-track - a lot of them suck but this was just about good enough to not really need any improvement besides more detail.

I will, however, leave some advice I wish every new reviewer would heed - including statements such as 'this song starts with a cool guitar riff' tell the reviewer nothing. That could, for instance, be describing Bob Marley's "Could You Be Loved", just as well as it could be describing Cursive's "The Recluse", and Metallica's "Battery", and Girl Aloud's "Love Machine".....see my point? Try and stay away from saying things like that. A statement like "The entire song is driven by the guitar", or even "The guitars on this track are heavily distorted and played palm-muted", is far more useful.

You may want to stay away from touching on the individual instruments altogether, even, instead trying to describe the feel of the track, or explaining lyrical themes. You do both here well, which is very encouraging.

May 10th 2006

How do you put stuff in italics. I tried a few things but none of them worked

encmetalhead

hey

^^^if that worked then [i*] [/*i] w/o *s

spoon_of_grimbo
May 10th 2006

not bad for a first review, not bad at all, although i agree with the points the other posters just made above. keep 'em coming tho!

i cant understand why they left the storm and sworn off ember to inferno, they should be on there instead of the pointless intro and outro tracks.

The Sludge
May 10th 2006

Pretty decent review, but please refrain from using the word "download" in your review. Its just a pet peeve of mine.

Confessed2005
May 10th 2006

Pretty good review for a first. I have heard all these tracks as I have 'Ember To Inferno' and the other two tracks that only feature here and I can say it is pretty solid material. Can't wait for the new album.

May 10th 2006

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I changed the italics and i'll remember the tips for future reviews.

ChrisAdlerisGod
May 10th 2006

Do Heafy's vocals suck as much on this as they do on Ascendency???

May 11th 2006

ChrisAdlerisGod, just because u dont like Heafys voice doesnt mean he sucks. U like manny other people on this website need to learn that there is such a thing as OPINIONS and not everyone has the same as you.

gigi666
May 11th 2006

well i suppose that is his own opinion!

May 11th 2006

theres a difference between saying your opinion and downright insulting the bandThis Message Edited On 05.11.06

Silenius
May 11th 2006

In other words your opinion can't be that they suck?!This Message Edited On 05.11.06

read th review

NEDM
May 11th 2006

Calm down SCREAM. I just looked at your album ratings section and I see that you gave a Pussycat Dolls cd a 1/5. Now let's say hypothetically that I love PCD. We'd be having the same discussion, about how Trivium is balls, while you defend them.

ChrisAdlerisGod
May 11th 2006

Opinions can be negative and positive. So get that through your head before you go and give me a speech about opinions. Im sure there are people on this site who looooooooove Heafy's vocals. I happen to think they are disgusting. But whatever, if you wanna talk about Trivium dont look for me.

May 12th 2006

Wat i meant is insted of just saying Heafys vocals suck you couldve said: I dont like Heafys vocals or at least I think Heafys vocals suck.

Drunken Viking
May 12th 2006

Heafy's vocals actually do suck. I say this based on the fact he is doing it improperly, and he can't do it live to save his life.

May 12th 2006

im just wondering wat you mean by "doing it improperly"

vuergara
May 13th 2006

Hey fellow new-comer.. I'm glad to see that another Trivium fan has joined sputnikmusic.. :D..
Good idea to inject the lyrics of the songs (doesn't Trivium just leave you dumbstruck with the maturity of their lyrics?? Haha) before describing them.. It would have been a lot better if you described the tracks a little bit more..
Good review nevertheless.. Hey! Check out my review of Ascendancy and comment on it if you have the time.. Thanks..TC :D