Locrian
Infinite Dissolution

by Xenophanes STAFF
July 25th, 2015 | 37 replies

Release Date: 07/24/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: There may not be a market for post-metal in 2015, but if there is, Locrian is the prize pig.

Like the glistening, calculated geometry that graces the cover of Infinite Disolution, Locrian have morphed into the most sleek and manufactured version of themselves. For better or worse, the band has seemingly lost their “edge.”

But maybe that’s okay. In 2015, post-metal has become something passe; a sound that feels better as a supporting act in the background rather than a star. This “edge” has been the same for years: trudging guitar with a dark and grimy atmosphere. What Locrian are doing here, however, is just different enough to make their craft seem relevant again. If only slightly.Infinite Disolution works on many levels when it really shouldn’t. It’s a hodge podge of sludge, doom, and black metal, neatly packaged as a surprisingly brisk post-metal record. There are a lot of modern metal buzzwords in there, giving one the impression that Locrian have been skimming the blog scene to see what’s “in the now.” But really, everything here is what they have been doing for years, just on a different scale. The songs are more succinct, making better use of their clever skills, while scaling back the drone. The latter sound is not completely gone, but compared to Bless Them That Curse You, it may as well be. The band is “heavier” than was seen on their last record, Return to Annhiliation, but by no means do they play with the same airy, psychedelic influence that made that record such a joy to listen to. Here, Locrian drop the apocalyptic panache in favor of something a little more human and life affirming. There is warmth in these clean lines and geometric formations. It’s accessible and believable; an album that was made to be without pretense to be enjoyed by everyone and anyone. In that sense, these 47 minutes fly by, almost shockingly so.

Infinite Disolution is the record that no one could have seen coming from Locrian. The esoteric and hollowed sounds that band has displayed up to this point have given birth to a record of true immediacy. Edginess and quirkiness aside, the band's latest is an immaculately constructed beast that never straggles behind or overstays its welcome. There may not be a market for post-metal in 2015, but if there is, Locrian is the prize pig.

Full of Hell Trumpeting EcstasyPhrenelith Desolate Endscape
Krallice PrelapsarianMono Requiem For Hell
Gorguts Pleiades' DustDeftones Gore

Return To Annihilation

July 25th 2015

"There may not be a market for post-metal in 2015"

I've been comparing this to the last Altar of Plagues, and people loved that, so I expect this one to go over well, too.

Valkyrion
July 25th 2015

Lol I just heard this today and it was some of the most tedious music I've heard in 2015

Nimb49
July 25th 2015

What valk said.... I don't know how a band with so much ambition can create something so bland.

LordePots

There may not be a market for post-metal in 2015,

says who?

Digging: Lambsbreath - MANFEELINGS

Isis is now Isis (the band) therefore post-metal is dead rip 2015

Gameofmetal
July 25th 2015

kewl review, gonna check based on that and the altar of plagues comparison zaru is making

July 25th 2015

to clarify, it's only got a little bm in it but the electronical post-whatever junk reminded me of Teeth and Injury on a cursory listen.

Nimb49
July 25th 2015

This is waaaay less interesting though.

well yeah.

dimsim3478

Isis is now Isis (the band) therefore post-metal is dead rip 2015

didn't they have to do that name change cuz people were harassing them on facebook thinking they were the islamic state terrorist group?

Digging: Dotsuitarunen - COLOR LIFE

JAV
July 27th 2015

Yes, the modern day American is quite stupid.

deathschool
July 27th 2015

Ummm... There have been a couple of pretty sweet post metal releases this year, and I'm really no expert on the genre.

Digging: indigoNowhere - World I

July 27th 2015

Sort of the same thing that happened in Archer, except killing off that Isis actually made sense narratively.

July 27th 2015

It's OK, guys, it's just another Eli review, nothing too serious, move along now

LordePots
July 27th 2015

^^this guy is still mad about the envy review

July 27th 2015

Bro, I ain't even a fan of Envy, who the fuck is Envy lol. Do u think I waste my time scanning every single one of Eli's reviews just to post shit in the comments, no, I choose my battles ;)

ScuroFantasma
July 27th 2015

Is this band named after the mode or what? Great review too, will check.

Digging: Emperor - IX Equilibrium

Xenophanes
July 27th 2015

So happy I've got detractors. I'm sputnik famous.

#youshouldbeproud #smugeliissmug

July 27th 2015

who is this guy tho. I wasn't there for all the fireworks on that Envy thread, I don't think.