Wayne Szalinski
Black Mirror

by Dean R CONTRIBUTOR (52 Reviews)
July 14th, 2015 | 42 replies

Release Date: 10/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Black Mirror” is a solid debut from this fledgling indie-emo outfit

I find it surprising that Wayne Szalinski’s debut LP “Black Mirror” hasn’t got that much exposure, considering that their style of emo tinted math-rock is quite popular at the moment, and has been for a few years now. Though perhaps it’s because Black Mirror stands apart from its contemporaries in that it’s not really an emo record in any conventional sense of the word. While the lyrics of Black Mirror may contain oblique references to sexual uncertainty and masculinity, it lacks that awfully self-deprecating introspective feeling many bands dwell in that so often drag a debut down. Even more impressive is Wayne Szalinski’s heavy math rock slant manages to stay away from the self-indulgent noodling that so often comes with the “math” tag.

“Black Mirror” is a strange mix of emo, math rock and indie rock that strays between each almost equally. It’s catchy in a very subdued way, chilled indie riffs and math rock choruses interspersed with melodic downtime, while vocalist Andy Milad’s quivering vocals take most of the focus and are at the forefront of proceedings. For some this is a blessing and others not, it really depends on how one takes Milad’s sugary crooning as it is somewhat over the top on the appropriately titled opener “Sweetness” and strays into exaggerated angst on “Atrophy for Lethargy”. Milad’s vocals are best when he’s at his most understated, letting the catchy upbeat melodies carry along his soft singing with not too much of the limelight, such as in the softly sweet “Kiss Me In The City”.

“Black Mirror” surpasses its math rock peers in its fluidity as well, as each song meanders along gracefully, flawlessly morphing from intricate guitar driven choruses to mellifluous trumpeting on “Bandages”. Although for all the changes in tone “Black Mirror” still feels somewhat one sided. While the bouncy riffs and upbeat choruses are fun and pleasing to the ear, there isn’t enough to dig your teeth into over periods of extended time. It’s a superficially pleasing experience, sugary sweet riffs mixed with introspective musings that feel meaningful but lack any memorable tone or climax.

But if you can look past the sometimes sickly vocals and pop-emo aesthetic “Black Mirror” is a solid debut from a band that could have easily gone the wrong way. From a song-writing perspective Wayne Szalinski show a lot of potential, as “Black Mirror” feels extremely natural and confident the whole way through. But for all the fluidity and motion these tracks possess, they still tend to end up not really going anywhere. If this energy and momentum could be refined and directed in a way that allows the songs to actually build and go somewhere then Wayne Szalinski's second LP could be something truly special.

SeeYouSpaceCowboy... Fashion Statements of the Socially AwareUnsane Sterilize
Geotic NeptuneGeotic Duchenne Smile
Dizzee Rascal RaskitYowie Synchromysticism

feedback appreciated as always

Digging: Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked For Death

LotusFlower

12002 Comments

Oh, I remember these guys from a blog post I made a while back for Fondly Truly. Didn't know they had a an LP out though.

July 14th 2015

Great review Mort, I don't know if I agree as I've not heard this yet but will check it out.

Only minor thing I noticed you might want to edit is you hyphenate math-rock early on and then stop using the hyphen later

Digging: Beck - Colors

Tunaboy45
July 14th 2015

Awesome review Mort, might have to give this a go.

deathschool
July 14th 2015

Great review, pos. may check

July 14th 2015

This dude's voice sounds like the Antony Hegarty of emo, it's distinct I'll give him that

zakalwe

i.e warbly drivel.

July 14th 2015

Warbly drivel would be a useful genre tag

Judio!
July 14th 2015

Always makes me happy to see when people enjoy their assigned album this much ;)

Very well-written review have a pos

Thanks all

wacknizzle
July 15th 2015

Good review Mort, gonna check this in a bit

July 15th 2015

thanks wack

November 20th 2015

19046 Comments

under appreciated artist...Atrophy for Lethargy is amazing

April 9th 2016

havent listened to this in ages, forgot how damned pleasant it is

April 10th 2016

19046 Comments

ikr. love this album i come back to it every few weeks or so

TVC15
January 23rd 2017

Holy shit I've been looking for this album for such a long time! Been looking since my second rating wipe a few years ago and I found this while searching for the Black Mirror soundtrack

I'll put in the Black Mirror soundtracks into the database when I'm done givin this a thorough jamming

Digging: Carcass - Heartwork

19046 Comments

killer album here nice bump

TVC15
January 23rd 2017

Dude you have no idea how happy I am that I'm reunited with this

19046 Comments

it wouldve been a sad album to say goodbye to honestly

January 24th 2017

this is such a sweet album

very chill