The Red Paintings
Destroy The Robots

by dUSK USER (19 Reviews)
May 7th, 2006 | 7 replies | 6,028 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

After constructing one of the best releases of 2005, the Walls EP, The Red Paintings have returned within a year with another superb release. In conjunction with Walls, Destroy The Robots really showcases the level of songwriting depth within the band as a whole, but particularly lead songwriter, Jamie Barrett.

There's a total of 6 tracks to be heard, none of which had been seen on previous releases, such as Your Tears Are Warning Signs. From the opening classical sounding violin segment of Destroy The Robots, to the monotonous spoken outro of Destroy The Humans, the EP will have should captivate your attention. Of the 5 'real' songs here, all of them would be suitable for radio airplay, as they are relatively straightforward, and brilliantly catchy. And for the record, Pickles seems to have been selected as the first song to hit the airwaves, although I would rate it as the lowest of the five (I cannot stress enough that this is not saying it's a bad song).

New drummer, Andy Davis, has slotted in very well with the band. His work is more prominent than that heard on prior releases, not only because the drums play a bigger part in the new material, but because they are also slightly louder in the mix, and he comes across as more energetic in general. In fact, the EP as a whole is slightly more energetic, with less slower tempo's all around. The Red Paintings also have a new bassist, Amanda Holmes, on Destroy The Robots, but there is next to no difference in playing style.

The strings, ie; Violin and Cello, yet again, work very well with each other, adding another dimension to The Red Paintings sound. Other than that there's not really much I can say about them though. Trash's guitar is pretty straightforward as well, being played mostly on an electric, but an acoustic appears at the beginning of Pickles. Destroy The Robots (song) is pretty nifty though, and is probably the best representation of the stringed instruments that you will hear here, adding in that slightly more experimental sound that TRP have.

The vocal melodies on the EP are great, as per usual. Not great because they display some kind of technical ability, or show some kind of experimentalism, but purely because of how well they managed to work their way into the back of your mind. It's this element of the music that allows me to say that the majority of Destroy The Robots is worthy of radio airplay, with Futureless, I'll Sell You Suicide and It Is As It Was being great examples of this.

Pros
- Amazing, catchy songwriting abilities

Cons
- The final track, Destroy The Humans. It's 3 and a half minutes silence, before some single robotic sounding words spoken over a slow, ambient synth.

Overall, Destroy The Robots is a superb release. It's a little more upbeat, and possibly straightforward, than Walls, but remains very similar in style. Musically I feel as though it sounds a little more optimistic, but the lyrical content has not changed at all. The fact that this was released less than a year after their last EP shows that they really do have some great ideas when it comes creating music. The Red Paintings are due for a little more recognition (and well deserving), and I feel as though Destroy The Robots will be the one to deliver it. I highly recommend this to any fan of The Red Paintings, Alternative music, or the Violin/Cello in general.

Minor Details

Album Info
Label: ModernMusic
Playing Time: 23:51
Release Date: May 6th, 2006

Line Up
Guitar, Vocals, Synth & Bass on Destroy The Robots: Jamie Barrett (Trash McSweeney)
Violin, Backing Vocals: Ellen Stancombe

Hilltop Hoods The Hard RoadVintersorg Visions From The Spiral Generator
Agalloch Of Stone, Wind, And PillorThe Amenta Occasus

Phil
May 7th 2006

It only came out yesterday, although the review was good. I'll get it in the next few days hopefully.

dUSK
May 7th 2006

You can listen to Pickles from this page, underneath the rating part, and they have It Is As It Was available for streaming on their myspace.

Zebra
May 7th 2006

I listened to Pickles and thought it was a pretty good song. I loved the catchy violin part but sometimes the sound got crowded with the quick drumming.
Good job on the review. It was short yet descriptive and that's the best way to go.

eug008
October 10th 2006

Great album, I love "It Is As It Was".

Jom
September 7th 2007

This one's grown on me a lot... the first four tracks are killer. I always loved "I'll Sell You Suicide" and "It Is As It Was," but the first two tracks also started to gain steam in my playlist.
Great review, as always, dude.

surturawaken
March 18th 2009

outstanding EP

KritikalMotion
February 5th 2010

this is amazing.

they should of really just released a makeshift album with songs from this and walls. would of been fine.

it's a pity that destroy the humans is quite useless