I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism...
8 Song Demo

good

by facetheslayer666 USER (18 Reviews)
February 11th, 2015 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

The very first time I saw a picture of I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook was the band playing in a library. A LIBRARY. One should not expect any music to be played in a place of study, let alone a screamo band. This got me wondering, thinking deeply... Is this some kind of STATEMENT? Could this be some kind of attempted music catalyst? Is this a symbolic gesture? No, it is merely a description of the insane aesthetic of IWHACIYY, displayed best on their first collection of demos, '8 Song Demo.'

Quickly paced with symbiotic guitar licks, melodic and calm at times but invigorating at others, blast-beats, emotion-wrought lyrics ("I will commit suicide at the very peak of our desperate love") and vocals, this band manages to produce one of the craziest punk records I have ever had the luck of coming across. Few bands have had such an impact on my own musicality. The opening track, "Untitled 1" (all tracks are named "Untitled", followed by their respective number) is first a sad guitar tune which builds up to a cathartically suicidal purge. "Untitled 3" portrays such intensity more perfectly. This album constantly destroys my eardrums, pounding hard drums and heavy bass, the absolutely horrible production notwithstanding.

'8 Song Demo' is definitely not for everybody; to some, it may seem very derivative and generic. This is because most of the tracks on this record appear to be rather homogenous. I cannot tell any one track apart from the next without going back and listening to them. The vocals aren't necessarily top-notch either -- at times it seems as though the vocalist is just yelling rather than saying actual words. IWHACCIY is obviously not very serious about this whole "music" thing either:- sloppily played songs lead to lesser enjoyment among auditors.

Every picture I see IWHACIYY in, they are smiling, having a great time, playing their hearts out, screaming until their larynx's are no longer functional, singing about what they want, when they want... where they want. This band is not serious or aggressive -- they are here for themselves, not for their few fans. The picture I saw with the group playing in a library was a perfect description of this sort of music; expecting a band of such playful nature to be something less loose and raw. But no, here is I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, playing in a library. I bring to you their first recordings. 3/5

Down To Nothing Life On The JamesChristian Death Only Theatre of Pain
The Antlers UprootedThe White Birch Star Is Just a Sun
The Damned PhantasmagoriaSepultura Bestial Devastation

Supercoolguy64

nice short review, pos'd
(that's an epic band name btw)

Digging: Mannequin - Warps Yr Head

TalonsOfFire
February 10th 2015

Digging: Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

StallionMang
February 10th 2015

These guys are nuts, even for a screamo band

Digging: Women - Public Strain

ScuroFantasma
February 11th 2015

Sweet review mate, pos'd. Surprisingly I arrived before Yak but I know he's on his way (:

"Untitled 3" portrays such intensity more perfectly"

Might want to change that, I don't think something can be 'more perfect'.

Digging: Separatist - Closure

Artuma
February 11th 2015

"I love your username and this band has a funny name pos'd even though I didn't read"

at least check the band

Digging: Saintly Rows - Heaven in the Hollow

Slut

Yeah agreed

YakNips

album is ok

Digging: Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

February 11th 2015

hey yak! here as expected xD

Digging: Down To Nothing - Life On The James

heh "album is ok" with 5 rating xDDD

riffariffic7
February 12th 2015

Great review, man. I especially love the last paragraph. Haven't heard of these guys before, but the band name and your review combined make me want to change that immediately. Excellent work, facetheslayer666, and keep up the good work. Thumbs up from me.

Digging: Otis Redding - Pain in My Heart