I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism...
8 Song Demo

good

by facetheslayer666 USER (32 Reviews)
February 11th, 2015 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

The very first time I saw a picture of I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook was the band playing in a library. A LIBRARY. One should not expect any music to be played in a place of study, let alone a screamo band. This got me wondering, thinking deeply... Is this some kind of STATEMENT? Could this be some kind of attempted music catalyst? Is this a symbolic gesture? No, it is merely a description of the insane aesthetic of IWHACIYY, displayed best on their first collection of demos, '8 Song Demo.'

Quickly paced with symbiotic guitar licks, melodic and calm at times but invigorating at others, blast-beats, emotion-wrought lyrics ("I will commit suicide at the very peak of our desperate love") and vocals, this band manages to produce one of the craziest punk records I have ever had the luck of coming across. Few bands have had such an impact on my own musicality. The opening track, "Untitled 1" (all tracks are named "Untitled", followed by their respective number) is first a sad guitar tune which builds up to a cathartically suicidal purge. "Untitled 3" portrays such intensity more perfectly. This album constantly destroys my eardrums, pounding hard drums and heavy bass, the absolutely horrible production notwithstanding.

'8 Song Demo' is definitely not for everybody; to some, it may seem very derivative and generic. This is because most of the tracks on this record appear to be rather homogenous. I cannot tell any one track apart from the next without going back and listening to them. The vocals aren't necessarily top-notch either -- at times it seems as though the vocalist is just yelling rather than saying actual words. IWHACCIY is obviously not very serious about this whole "music" thing either:- sloppily played songs lead to lesser enjoyment among auditors.

Every picture I see IWHACIYY in, they are smiling, having a great time, playing their hearts out, screaming until their larynx's are no longer functional, singing about what they want, when they want... where they want. This band is not serious or aggressive -- they are here for themselves, not for their few fans. The picture I saw with the group playing in a library was a perfect description of this sort of music; expecting a band of such playful nature to be something less loose and raw. But no, here is I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, playing in a library. I bring to you their first recordings. 3/5

Years and Years CommunionNate Ruess Grand Romantic
Death Grips No Love Deep WebZedd True Colors
Adventure Time Dreams of Water ThemesSleep Party People Floating

Supercoolguy64

nice short review, pos'd

(that's an epic band name btw)

Digging: My Dad Is Dead - ...And He's Not Gonna Take It Anymore

TalonsOfFire

StallionMang
February 10th 2015

These guys are nuts, even for a screamo band

ScuroFantasma
February 11th 2015

Sweet review mate, pos'd. Surprisingly I arrived before Yak but I know he's on his way (:

"Untitled 3" portrays such intensity more perfectly"

Might want to change that, I don't think something can be 'more perfect'.

Digging: Burzum - Belus

Artuma
February 11th 2015

"I love your username and this band has a funny name pos'd even though I didn't read"

at least check the band

Slut

Yeah agreed

YakNips

album is ok

Digging: narcia - narcia

February 11th 2015

hey yak! here as expected xD

heh "album is ok" with 5 rating xDDD

riffariffic7
February 12th 2015

Great review, man. I especially love the last paragraph. Haven't heard of these guys before, but the band name and your review combined make me want to change that immediately. Excellent work, facetheslayer666, and keep up the good work. Thumbs up from me.

February 12th 2015

thanks riffariffic7 lol nice name

combatwounds
July 1st 2016

"The vocals aren't necessarily top-notch either -- at times it seems as though the vocalist is just yelling rather than saying actual words. IWHACCIY is obviously not very serious about this whole "music" thing either:- sloppily played songs lead to lesser enjoyment among auditors."

this isn't about having the best vocals or the songs being played perfectly. this is all about feeling.