Sleater-Kinney

4.2

by Adam Thomas EMERITUS
January 23rd, 2015 | 148 replies

Release Date: 01/20/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The most beautiful noise.

Comeback albums are a motherfucker. Think about it. There are years and years of hopes and unrealistic expectations, fans and press wondering if a band's still got it, and a completely bullshit idea that if it not only doesn't encapsulate their entire career but fails to reinvent the game for every current act that name drops them on even the longest list of influences that somehow the album is a massive failure. It gives us music writers a lot to talk about, even if it is mostly hot air on our part. So, that leaves us with one question; is Sleater-Kinney's first album since 2005's The Woods everything that we wanted and more from whom Time Magazine once bestowed the title of “Best Rock and Roll Act” to? The answer is a most resounding, “Duh!”

No Cities To Love is furious, political, and a god damn delight. Sleater-Kinney pull from every corner of their catalog -- the dissonant riot gurrrl punk of Call the Doctor, the rock revivalism of The Hot Rock, the guitar hero status shred of The Woods – it's all here, and at most times all at once. This virulent coalescing of styles makes No Cities To Love the band's most brash and technical. There are no ballads. There is no diminutive pop posturing. These are declarative social anthems for post-recession America. Carrie Brownstein's guitar attack pulls from the last two decades of forward thinking musicians; St. Vincent, Hot Snakes, Fugazi. Her leads are dense, angular, and downright abrasive. Even when she throws her audience hooks, they are barbed and deadly. Corin Tucker's authoritative howl is the perfect compliment to Brownstein's playing. In a time when hushed and passive voices have become the expected norm for women in indie rock, Tucker is a full on assault in the best of ways. Their years apart have shown that they can shine on their own, but No Cities To Love proves that together they still are one of rock music's greatest one-twos.

No Cities To Love is a triumph. Not only does it meet every one of our over-the-top demands as fans, it serves as a great entry point for those new comers who have yet to be introduced to one of the most important bands of the last quarter century. What more could you possibly want?

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Lee Whear (4.5)
just in case you needed any further proof who the greatest rock band in the world are...

Bradley Harris (4)
The perfect reunion of a perfect band...

Athom
January 22nd 2015

Even I was surprised by how good it is.

Arcade
January 22nd 2015

gotta check this. i hope it's better than Portlandia.

Digging: Tyler, the Creator - Scum Fuck Flower Boy

chinesewhispers

C'mon, Portlandia is awesome

But yeah, definitely

Arcade
January 22nd 2015

it's not especially funny and thus i've never been interested in listening to Sleater/Kinney

but this review has sufficiently persuaded me.

January 22nd 2015

didn't even know this was coming out

AmericanFlagAsh
January 22nd 2015

Check it out, it's pretty damn good

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

Athom
January 23rd 2015

Arcade, if you like what you hear, check out their albums The Woods and Dig Me Out.

and one beat *

this is really good so far. hearing this and bjork in the same day what a pleasant surprise

AliW1993
January 23rd 2015

Awesome review/album. One nitpick...

"does Sleater-Kinney's first album since 2005's The Woods everything that we wanted"

"Does" should be "is," or there should be a "do" in there, unless I'm missing something.

January 23rd 2015

I didn't think this was anything special.

I could give it another go because of this review...

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface

RadicalEd

Awesome album/review.

Do it Sowing.

wag

Digging: Uchu Conbini - Feel the Dying Note

greg84
January 23rd 2015

I agree. This is definitely one of the best rock albums of the year. It's so maddeningly consistent.

Digging: Sasquatch - Maneuvers

Deviant.

Dude, we're 23 days into the year

greg84
January 23rd 2015

I'm calling that now 'cause it's so good.

Parallels
January 23rd 2015

Brah... This is definitely one of the best rock albums of the decade.

ProjectFreak
January 23rd 2015

"No Cities To Love To Love"

other than that, whoa, I need to hear this

Emyay
January 23rd 2015

first time i've heard the band. on the second track and i'm digging this. guitar work is great

AmericanFlagAsh

Check The Woods [2]

RVAHC13
January 23rd 2015

So excited to hear this!