Lie in Ruins
Towards Divine Death

by Elijah Andrew STAFF
December 24th, 2014 | 22 replies

Release Date: 02/04/2014 | Tracklist

This year didn't deserve an album like Towards Divine Death. No, this year was all about riff idolatry and overt heaviness. Offerings like Promulgation of the Fall and Morbid Dimensions attracted some much appreciated attention to death metal, garnering praise all without any sort of cross over appeal. But what said albums (as well as many others) lacked was the unique presentation and charisma that death metal is capable of. Lie in Ruins, on the other hand, have loving crafted an album that brings the heaviness and charm of Dead Congregation alongside the atmosphere and experimental brilliance of Emptiness. In essence, Towards Divine Death is the perfect snap shot of death metal in 2014. It's a loving homage to the greats while also acting as a guiding light for where things should be headed.

Lie in Ruins have released an album that feels charred down to its core. Ravaged raw by fire, the band's latest is a bleak and dark creation where each member is playing with this in mind. The album is an exhausting affair, with tracks moving along like wars of attrition. Eight minute plus songs move along at a steady clip, with a thick and murky miasma obscuring the destination. Regardless, it feels like no time at all as the songs are incredibly distinct and varied. The constantly shifting tempos create an uneasy feeling, with the disorienting torrent of sound adding layers upon layers, bogging the listener down. Rather than become too entrenched in the technical aspects, the album revels in its mood and atmosphere. The entire record seems alive and pulsating with dread and doom. The vocals feel distant and impending, while the drums seem to beckon some phantasmagorical entity.

Yes it may seem contrived to say all of this nonsense, but Lie In Ruins have truly created something that effects the listener in a real way. Towards Divine Death is a master work of modern death metal. It's a dark and bestial anomaly with a character unique to the genre. Containing the brutal technicality that the genre is known for, while also side stepping the mindlessness that can come along with it, the album stands as a testament to true creativity within metal.

Ascension The Dead of the WorldLaster De Verste Verte Is Hier
Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins

ComeToDaddy
December 24th 2014

Got me really keen to check this out, great review. Sounds like it should've gotten a lot more attention than it did

Xenophanes
December 24th 2014

I found it fairly recently so maybe it's my infatuation telling me that it's my favorite dm this year. But no matter, it's just super high quality.

Digging: Bjork - Vulnicura

thelastsignal

Nice review, Xeno. One little thing I noticed:
"This year didn't deserve and album like Towards Divine Death"

I need to check this out.

Digging: Dead In The Manger - Cessation

Brostep

ELI IS BACK ON STAFF WOOOOOOO

ShadowRemains
December 25th 2014

i heard this wasn't very good tbh

Veldin

6/10

Digging: Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness

tempest--
December 25th 2014

shitty band name but Ive had this on my to-check list for ages

greg84
December 25th 2014

Eli is staff again. It's a Christmas miracle!

Digging: Bjork - Vulnicura

OvDeath
December 25th 2014

This album has an amazing atmosphere about it but it's a good thirty minutes too long

r0bbb
December 25th 2014

the first second i listened, this reminded me of dragged into sunlight

Digging: Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation

emester

Checking now and I gotta say, Im really digging this

Digging: Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity

emester
December 25th 2014

I will admit though, some tracks are go on too long for their own good

Thibs
December 25th 2014

good review. been meaning to check this a while now

Digging: Wishbone Ash - Argus

ProjectFreak

HOLY WOW AN ELI REVIEW ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

ExplosiveOranges

ELI'S BACK YEEEEEEEE

Digging: Apparitionist - White Noise

fromtheinside

19389 Comments

edit: every else seems to have brought up my same point so moving on

Sup Eli

December 26th 2014

Well my Christmas wish came true.

Welcome back Xeno!

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World

yourgodisinferior
January 4th 2015

Charred Walls kicked me in the balls

TheSpaceMan
January 5th 2015

"Lie in Ruins, on the other hand, have loving crafted an album that brings the heaviness and charm of Dead Congregation alongside the atmosphere and experimental brilliance of Emptiness."

not entirely sure but I think you wanted "loving" to be an adverb?

otherwise I really liked this review, you've got a sweet writing style

alachlahol
January 6th 2015

dang xenophanes listenin to metal nowadays?? whats hawks doing