Antemasque

good

by Elijah Andrew STAFF
November 13th, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 07/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With their self-titled debut, ANTEMASQUE have produced a perfectly acceptable rock record sans any character from their illustrious front men.

I hate thinking about ANTEMASQUE. I hate that it was borne of the disillusion of The Mars Volta. I hate that it isn’t exactly everything I wanted and more. And I especially hate that I can’t stop listening to it.

Antemasque was always going to be a divisive train wreck. Cedric’s very public antics after TMV broke up saw to that. Yet somehow the reunion of Cedric and Omar (as rushed as it was) sounds surprisingly unsurprising. Nothing within these 10 songs is out of place or feels expressly forced. Drawing inspiration from the last decade and a half of their musical relationship, Antemasque is a clean amalgam of The Mars Volta and At the Drive-In with a dash of De Facto.

The band’s self titled record is a blisteringly paced work of rock and roll. Sure there is some funk to be found, with “The Lurch” featuring some groovy break downs, but most of the record is a straight shot from beginning to end. What this really amounts to is Cedric taking the center staged. As was the case with The Mars Volta’s final album,Noctourniquet, Omar has taken more of a subdued role. No indulgent wankery to be found. No psyche freak outs or jazz explosions either. It’s nice to hear the duo at their most basic, really. Hell, even the lyrics seem less cryptic and encoded. By the time the radio friendly “50,000 Kilowats” kicks in most people will bemoan the lacking character, but really it’s pretty damn fun.

Antemasque sounds like Omar and Cedric letting loose, taking it easy, and having a good time. The record is enjoyable, bland and silly, but still a good time. You won’t hear the duo lean too heavily towards either side of their established sounds. Instead you’ll be treated to a very straight laced rocking collaboration between friends and frankly that’s just fine.

Sigh GravewardMarriages Salome
Marsen Jules The Empire of SilenceLeviathan Scar Sighted
Imperial Triumphant Abyssal GodsMastery (USA-CA) Valis
potsos (3.5)
If this is just the beginning for Antemasque, it's an auspicious start with a little room to grow....

Alex Carlson (4)
Antemasque's debut album is the perfect way to go against the grain of something already so far agai...

JohnnyOnTheSpot
November 13th 2014

nice review, couple grammar things here and there but w/e you'll probably catch those

Digging: Holly Herndon - Platform

Judio!
November 13th 2014

Emerituses: So badass they're exempt from the one review per day rule.

Digging: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress'

November 13th 2014

I've posted two in a row #thuglife

Digging: Hop Along - Painted Shut

November 13th 2014

What's the deal with the emeritus thing? I heard somewhere that it was reviewers that don't review anymore or something yet this one has reviewed so that must not be quite true.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

it's ex-staff

November 13th 2014

How does that work out exactly?

November 13th 2014

you were staff but you don't write as often so you ask to get emeritus'd or simply get the tag by not reviewing in a year or two. but you can get staff'd again if u ask

edit: "staff'd"

Digging: Ases Falsos - Conduccion

Xenophanes

I got fired for trying to stage a coup against the mods tbh

Digging: Mew - -

November 13th 2014

Ok that's pretty cool I guess. The title is nice.

November 13th 2014

"I got fired for trying to stage a coup against the mods tbh"

who hasn't tbh

lololololol do it again

StKiyo
November 13th 2014

C'MOOOOOON, I'm finishing my Antemasque review right now. So, I guess I'll post it in a couple of days m

StKiyo

Mister Twister

1925 Comments

this doesn't answer the real questions I have

how long is the album? how has it performed commercially?

November 13th 2014

does the second song begin where the first ends?

SgtPepper
November 13th 2014

just here to say: hi Eli, hope all is well!

also, yeah album was fun.

ScuroFantasma

great short review man

Digging: Vader - Tibi et Igni

DrGonzo1937

Nice review.

This was a disappointment for me.

I got fired for trying to stage a coup against the mods tbh