Diocletian
Gesundrian

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (26 Reviews)
November 6th, 2014 | 39 replies

Release Date: 05/23/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A furiously crushing aural assault

A lot of Diocletian’s listeners would have been captivated by the artwork on their third full-length release, ‘Gesundrian’. Depicted on the cover is a knight on horseback, sword drawn, bounding over what appears to be a sea of human skulls. The extended artwork shows a hanged man just behind the knight, with a burning city in the background. It all seems rather apocalyptic; a fitting cover for the equally morbid nature of the music itself then. Clocking in at a total of thirty-five minutes, Gesundrian serves as a kick in the balls coupled with a hook in the jaw. There is nothing pretentious here, and it appears Diocletian only aim to create chaotic, violent and pissed off blackened death metal.

Tremolo riffs are used to great effect on this release, and add character and substance to otherwise typical death metal-style guitar work. Every time a tremolo riff bursts through, such as in ‘Wretched Sons’, it is easy for the listener to picture the knight on the front cover, charging mercilessly towards the enemy, hellbent on causing absolute mayhem, teeth bared and sword drawn. The brilliantly chaotic progression in ‘Summoning Fear’ perhaps typifies the extremely aggressive nature of this record.

The drums are also a vital part in creating this vibe. Blast beats are often used and work well with the guitars to create the destructive vibe. Having said this, they also serve somewhat of a hindrance on occasion, as at times they feel slightly overbearing. Of course, a natural drawback from prioritising anger and general heaviness over technicality is that the instruments tend to get mixed in with each other, creating an often-undecipherable wall of sound. This can lead to the album feeling monotonous in places, as it feels like the Auckland-based quartet are pummeling the listener like a ton of bricks carelessly rather than methodically. The monotony displayed here could also be due to the fact that the songwriting is fairly consistent, although the penultimate track ‘Beast Atop the Trapezoid’ breaks the cycle of monotony in places with its brooding, doom-laden outro.

Vocalist Logan Muir is also a vital piece of this nihilistic jigsaw, his excellent lyrics accentuated by his raspy, malicious vocals. The aforementioned song ‘Beast Atop the Trapezoid’’ is a perfect demonstration of this, vitriolically screaming ‘I am the selfish god you cannot defeat’ during the doomy outro. This creates one of the album’s most memorable moments, and is the perfect embodiment of the vision in which Diocletian try to create.

Simply put, Gesundrian is possibly the most furious assault on the ears to have been created this year by any band in any genre. If you like death metal that pushes boundaries and has something innovative to offer, perhaps you should give this a miss. However, if you like crushing, nihilistic death metal, and you appreciate a damn good riff when you hear one, then listen to this immediately. Perhaps if this pushed the envelope just a little more with regards to songwriting and originality, this would be up there with the best death metal releases of the year.

Phobocosm DeprivedMaveth / Embrace of Thorns A Plague Through the Heavens
Maveth Coils of the Black EarthCoffinworm IV.I.VIII
Sport Bon VoyageExarsis The Brutal State

November 6th 2014

Good review, pos'd. Seems like this might be worth checking out, if nothing else then for that awesome cover.

2009 Comments

Thanks man, cover is awesome, agreed

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

November 6th 2014

I was expecting something more blistering on the first track but it seems pretty slow and dark actually.

2009 Comments

Yeah I probably should have mentioned that, it definitely serves as more of a mood setter. There are some doom influences here and there

November 6th 2014

pos'd nig, this was pretty enjoyable.

2009 Comments

"Yeah I'm getting the feeling. Sounds like some solid stuff though, might ending up rating it the same as you."

Sweet bro, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Cap, tbh this took a long time to grow on me, I had it as a 3 for a while but damn it riffs hard so had to bump

AaronIsCrunchy
November 6th 2014

Great review to read, pos'd.

Will check this out, sounds like I might enjoy it.

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Den sorgligaste musiken i varlden

2009 Comments

Thanks man! Let me know what you think

EvoHavok
November 6th 2014

Great to see a review of this!

Digging: DIR EN GREY - Arche

2009 Comments

I couldn't believe it didn't have one to be honest

bump

Yeah bro it grew on me with repeated listens as well. Very solid. Haven't jammed in a few weeks but will def
come back to it.

Jacquibim

Top 5 DM of the year, nice review too

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

AaronIsCrunchy
November 6th 2014

This was awesome dude, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Beast Atop the Trapezoid is a monster.

Pun not intended.

@Captain
Yeah, not sure as to why it's a slow burner but yeah

@Jac
Thanks man, you should check out the Maveth/Embrace of Thorns split, that's probably my favourite DM of this year

@Aaron
Haha no worries dude, glad you liked it!

tempest--
November 6th 2014

wait this didn't have a review already?! darn.
album rules. m/

OvDeath

their third release

Their third full length. This is their tenth release.

Also yeah this is the band's best album yet. Brings the vvarr.

OvDeath
November 6th 2014

Disagree here tho, there have been a buncha other war metal bands releasing crazy shit. Jam the new Necroholocaust album, and prepare yourself for the new ZOM as well.

emester