Ne Obliviscaris
Citadel

by Drew Tyler USER (72 Reviews)
October 28th, 2014 | 1238 replies

Release Date: 11/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ne Obliviscaris are proving once more to be a hard band to label. 2014's Citadel finds the band perfecting the unique sound established on their debut album Portal of I, while seemingly attaining more accessibility.

In spite of drawing several comparisons to contemporary metal act Opeth, Ne Obliviscaris dig much deeper. They truly relish in the opportunity to blast the listener with heavy guitars, death growls and blast beats, but unlike many other modern death metal bands, Ne Obliviscaris throws classical violin and clean vocals into the mix. Before you cry foul, know that the violin and clean vocals don't dominate the album, they add to it. Seamless transitions of brutally heavy material and jazz-like classical instrumentation captivate and demand attention. And while these additional styles set them apart from other bands, Ne Obliviscaris never loses sight of what's important; the metal.

Many of the issues found on Portal of I have been righted. While that album lacked direction and proved too much for some new listeners to swallow, Citadel follows a distinct path from start to finish, and seems much more refined and polished. The clean vocals have been toned down a bit, no longer dominating entire songs or contrasting awkwardly with the harsher vocals. Portal of I was a very atmospheric album that could easily put one into a trance, and this remains the case with Citadel. Dreamlike violin play accompanied by acoustic guitar provide truly memorable and moving moments that are nearly impossible to find in other metal albums. Citadel is also a much shorter offering than Portal of I and as a result, the album flows along at a good pace without filler. While there are several purely instrumental parts on Citadel, the band is careful to avoid repetition and will hold your attention from start to finish. The album sounds fresh with each subsequent listen and can be revisited many times without growing tiresome.

Ne Obliviscaris is a modern metal band that embraces new ideas. They provide a best of both worlds approach with regards to songwriting by offering up brutally heavy and deeply moving material simultaneously. They stand out from the rest of the pack thanks to their brilliant fusion of musical styles and are on the cutting edge of prog metal. This is a band that would seem to have a long and successful career ahead of them and deserve all the attention they get. Give this album a listen before making your 2014 best of list, because this is a game changer.

Devastation IdolatryMeg Myers Sorry
Enslaved In TimesSavatage Fight for the Rock
Witherscape The InheritanceBlindead Absence
Telekinetic (5)
a large change that does not compromise integrity...

October 28th 2014

Stream can be found here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/streaming-ne-obliviscaris-citadel-brendan-brown-ne-obliviscaris-intervieweded/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DecibelMagazine+%28Decibel+Magazine%29

so this is released...

ConcubinaryCode
October 28th 2014

But did it have any lasting power?

October 28th 2014

No just streaming fully in the link above.

ti0n
October 28th 2014

"But did it have any lasting power?"

I guess nobody can answer this yet since the stream was made available only a couple of days ago.

i dig it much tho. its a bit early to say but i agree hard on the fact that this album is a bit more consistent throughout than Portal of I is. also some uber songs like "Forget Not" are contrasting that album too much where Citadel is just one hell of a brilliant ride without much filler. Its just far more easy to listen to it in one spin than portal of I.

Digging: Kirin J. Callinan - Bravado

nice going to jam

pos btw

October 28th 2014

Well... I liked the opening track, i guess..

ForestGagnon
October 28th 2014

I realize there hasn't been a lot of time to digest the album, but I think a masterpiece like this deserves a more in-depth review. Also not really sure what you mean by the vocals no longer weirdly contrasting... I think they contrast even more on Citadel, but in a good way!

October 28th 2014

Nice concise writeup. Damn, I was going to review this but they never sent me the promo >.> Hope

it's as good as the early average says.

October 28th 2014

avg will probably go down though

Totengott
October 28th 2014

Have a pos. This album bores me at certain parts, but also blows my mind on certain parts.

Digging: Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

October 28th 2014

"avg will probably go down though"

yeah it all regresses to the mean. will probably be a 3.8-3.9 based on typical sputpatterns.

October 28th 2014

I tend to shy away from singling out tracks, or doing a track by track format. An overall summary kind of style has always suited me.

Vader

Pretty stoked for this one. Hope I like it as much as Portal

October 28th 2014

"will probably be a 3.8-3.9 based on typical sputpatterns."

Portal averaged out to a 4.0, and i think this might be a bit higher than that. Only time will tell though.

ForestGagnon
October 28th 2014

Anyone here who rates this below a 4.0 should get their hearing checked, imo. This may be the greatest album I've ever heard.

October 28th 2014

Pos'd the review.. So far, i'm pretty bored with this.

contronversyyyyyy

October 28th 2014

It's not a bad album per se, but i've certainly heard better in the genre. The instrumental portion of the album is strong, but pretty low in the mix for some reason. Also, they get pretty blast-beat happy in a few songs.

Archelirion
October 28th 2014

Need to get round to listening to this. If Portal of I is anything to go by, my dick will not be ready for this.