Expire
Pretty Low

2.0
poor

by Mall USER (21 Reviews)
September 20th, 2014 | 7 replies

Release Date: 06/17/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: how much further can shit go south?

American hardcore band Expire have been a pretty popular band since their debut EP Grim Rhythm was released in 2010. Their subsequent releases were all raw slabs of meaty, riffy hardcore, narrated intensely with the rapidly barked yelps and growls of Josh Kelting. When their album Pendulum Swings dropped, the band’s song structures became simpler, their production cleaner, and their bass less prominent. More chuggy than the band’s other work, the record was very short-lived to all but Tumblr girls who endlessly reblog band GIF’s, and the short song lengths made the overall product even more unsatisfying, especially to those all too aware of the band’s ability to craft memorable songs. The prospect of a new album wasn’t very appealing, and when the record landed my worst suspicions were confirmed: the band had refused to improve at all.

With cheesy lyrics, grating vocals brimming with directionless rage and a production job reducing every instrument to its most basic value (paper thin guitars, saturated bass and a snare drum simply too loud for its own good), Expire reach a level summed up well by the title of their second full length. The guest vocals spice things up a bit, but the song structures are so predictable and generic that even making the songs a little lengthier can’t save the vast majority of them from a fate worse than mediocrity. And that’s all there is to say about the new Expire record, yet another disappointing addition to the American hardcore scene that shows that even bands previously displaying promise eventually fall victim to a common ailment: the dreaded sophomore slump. Then again, if your debut isn’t much good then I guess judging your second record by such standards is a pretty pointless exercise.

Defeater Letters HomeLa Dispute Rooms of the House

Pendulum Swings
recommended by reviewer
backtrack lost in life

September 20th 2014

I'd appreciate comments on this one, my last one got none and I want to know if I'm still up to scratch

accompliceofmydeath
September 20th 2014

It's not bad, but I disagree. They've been writing 2 minute songs since Grim Rhythm. If the songs were much longer it'd be pretty stale. I don't think the production is too bad, but I havenet listened to it in a while. Overall, your review is short and gets the point across.

Digging: Cruel Hand - The Negatives

September 20th 2014

I don't have as much of a problem with the track lengths as I make out, but the quality of the music has slipped so much since
Grim Rhythm it's almost astonishing. Thanks for the feedback man

accompliceofmydeath
September 20th 2014

Oh yeah Grim Rhythm>this x1000. I'm not really sure what got them so much popularity with the tumblr crowd.

Shitty lyrics that's what

DecayingMajesty

Lyrics are good, period.

Digging: Pixie Lott - Turn It Up

September 20th 2014

Fair enough I guess, just came across as really cheesy to me