The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Paul Butterfield Blues Band

by manosg CONTRIBUTOR (62 Reviews)
September 20th, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1965 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the best albums of the mid '60s blues revival movement and a great combination of lively harmonica with fluid guitar playing.

So, if you made a list about the 10 greatest white blues guitarists who would you include? There are some relatively easy options such as Peter Green, Eric Clapton (a legend, don’t you even start with the overrated claims), Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore or Johnny Winter. How many of you mentioned Mike Bloomfield? Don’t worry because Bob Dylan, BB King and Buddy Guy were some of his fans early on his career. Mike Bloomfield besides working with Paul Butterfield, releasing solo albums and with his band The Electric Flag, also participated in a variety of albums as a session musician; the most notable of those being Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited.

The lineup on Paul Butterfield Blues Band is impressive as it includes Bloomfield and Butterfield of course, along with Howlin’ Wolf’s rhythm section among others. The music is pretty much electric Chicago blues accompanied by Paul Butterfield’s harmonica and lead by Bloomfield’s fluid guitar playing. In addition, Jerome Arnold and Sam Lay do an excellent job in forming a very tight rhythm section while the music on this album is mostly uptempo and energetic with a swagger. Compared to the band’s sophomore release East-West, this album is more bluesy, lively and upbeat while it includes less jazz elements. Moreover, as with many blues albums the majority of the material on this one consists of cover versions of older blues staples such as "Shake Your Money-Maker" and "Got My Mojo Working".

Overall, even though Paul Butterfield Blues Band doesn’t offer much new material in terms of original compositions as it includes only three new tracks, its energy along with the band’s high level of performance are two solid reasons that every blues enthusiast should check this album. Paul Butterfield’s performance is highly energetic and passionate while Bloomfield’s guitar playing adds a refreshing touch to the older material included on this album. Lastly, Paul Butterfield Blues Band isn’t only part of the mid ‘60s blues revival but one of the reasons that sparked the movement so feel free to check one of the albums that influenced bands such as Fleetwood Mac, The Bluesbreakers and Cream.

Virgin Steele Nocturnes of Hellfire & DamnationDeaf Dealer Journey Into Fear
Paradise Lost The Plague WithinWhitesnake The Purple Album
Sorcerer In the Shadow of the Inverted CrossKatavasia Sacrilegious Testament

September 20th 2014

Because Mike Bloomfield deserves more love.

Full album: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/The+Paul+Butterfield+Blues+Band/2376020

Your comments are appreciated.

Digging: Suicidal Tendencies - Lights...Camera...Revolution

September 20th 2014

Great review man. Pos'd from me.

DrJohn
September 20th 2014

Cool guitar player, album and review.

JamieTwort
September 20th 2014

Nice, props for reviewing this. Good album.

I'd actually rank Bloomfield above a couple of those (Clapton and Winter).

EvoHavok
September 20th 2014

Checked the opening track and it's really enjoyable. Great review!

September 20th 2014

"Thanks man. Whenever you have the time you may want to give this one a listen because of Bloomfield's guitar playing. Aren't you a guitarist yourself?"

Yeah I'm a guitarist, I guess I should check it out then since I've always enjoyed Bloomfield's playing. Have you ever heard Super Session, by Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills?

JamieTwort
September 20th 2014

Super Session definitely has some of Bloomfield's best guitar playing.

September 20th 2014

Yeah, his performances in Albert's Shuffle and Really are very good, for instance.

@DrJohn

Thanks man. Really appreciate you checking my reviews.

@JT

Glad to see you're a Bloomfield fan. I think he's in my top 5 of white bluesmen but you already know my love for Winter.

@daniel

Super Session is brilliant. It's a shame it hasn't been reviewed yet.

@Evo

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it man.

September 20th 2014

Nice review, pos from me. I've listened to the band's third album; I will listen to this as well soon.

September 20th 2014

Thanks! The Resurrection Of Pigboy Crabshaw is pretty cool but if you enjoyed that album you'll surely enjoy this one as well.

ExplosiveOranges

Great writeup, man. Pos.

September 20th 2014

I've kinda been meaning to review Super Session for a while, but I haven't had time yet.

BMDrummer
September 20th 2014

heard robbie krieger loved these guys

Digging: Elemantra - You Feel Bad About You

September 21st 2014

@EO

Thanks man.

@BMD

That's cool to know. Krieger himself was a great guitarist, he had a nice thing going on with the flamenco influences and all.

January 11th 2015

Such a remarkable album; I am surprised this has so few ratings.

January 12th 2015

Glad you enjoyed the album. Regarding the ratings, it's the blues and it's sputnik so no surprise here ;)

January 12th 2015

Agreed, blues do not get the love they deserve imho.