Ty Segall
Manipulator

by Irving Tan STAFF
August 29th, 2014 | 35 replies

Release Date: 08/26/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ask your bossman for a raise.

No review of a Ty Segall record ever feels complete without some mention of the American singer-songwriter’s legendary profligacy, but Manipulator, which was written and composed over a period of fourteen months (an eternity by Ty Segall standards), begs to be unpacked in a different manner altogether. "I feel like I’ve done the other kind of record plenty of times,” explained the California native in a recent interview with Stereogum. “But this time…I still threw a bunch of shit at the wall, but then I’d take notice of what seemed to be working, and then I’d throw some more shit at a different wall. I guess you could say I worked with several different walls this time, as opposed to doing that once and then just kind of calling it done,” he added.

The extended gestation period granted to Manipulator has resulted in an album that is noticeably less serrated than any of Segall’s previous solo efforts. There is the odd exception, of course – “Feel”, for instance, attempts to invoke the zeitgeist of Fuzz’s “HazeMaze” and Soundgarden’s “Spoonman” at every possible opportunity – but generally speaking there's nothing particularly aggressive about the entirety of Manipulator’s narrative arch. "The Faker” is a jangly and upbeat number that lands somewhere between the realms of garage rock and psychedelic folk, while “Mister Main” in turn sees Segall fusing an insistent groove with a vocal performance that would not have seemed entirely out of place on last year’s Atoms for Peace record. Elsewhere, shorter pieces like “Green Belly”, “The Crawler”, or “Connection Men” initially present themselves as mere sketches but eventually end up proving to be carefully-weighted bursts of sonic creativity. Several well-loved Ty Segall touchstones also make landfall on Manipulator, like that scuzzy guitar tone – which has become a bit of a calling card for the American singer-songwriter at this point – and his uncanny ability to produce a decidedly John Lennon-esque quaver, which is showcased to great effect on the red-eyed psych track “The Singer”.

All else made equal, if Manipulator is Ty Segall’s attempt at seeing what happens when he makes records with the handbrake on, the results are emphatically emboldening. Not only does Segall's seventh solo effort compare very favorably to his regular no-holds-barred output, but it also manages to feel like the other side of the same coin – which is saying something.

U2 Songs of InnocenceThe Pineapple Thief Magnolia
Linkin Park The Hunting PartyColdplay Ghost Stories
Caleb McAlpine All Things NewAngel Olsen Burn Your Fire For No Witness

August 29th 2014

Really dug this. Hope you do too.

Stream: http://www.npr.org/2014/08/17/339576574/first-listen-ty-segall-manipulator

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

VheissuCrisis
August 29th 2014

I'll check this as I am a Ty fan, though I find most his stuff sits between a 3-3.5.

Nice one Irv.

ExplosiveOranges
August 29th 2014

Nice one Irv [2]. This looks like it could definitely be good.

Digging: Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral

klap
August 29th 2014

glad someone reviewed this thank you mr. tan

3.9s all around

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

this is bloody brilliant

Brabiz
August 29th 2014

Holy shit, there's a new Ty Segall album!?

August 29th 2014

Nice review I'll be listening to this shortly!

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

Jruined
August 29th 2014

Great review, I am curious as to why you would use "profligacy" as opposed to "extravagence" in that first sentence? It's an interesting word but I feel like it breaks the flow of the first paragragh by being too esoteric when you could just use nomenclature that is instantly recognizable to a contemporary reader of the english language.

Haha. Fucking run on sentence.

August 29th 2014

dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please

August 29th 2014

^ Of which I am neither. Lol.

klap

"extravagence"

August 29th 2014

I chuckled at his comment, I admit

JamieTwort

Need to hear this.

This guy is a bit hit and miss with me but I loved both Fuzz releases last year.

August 30th 2014

Those Fuzz numbers were so great. I think I cried in happiness when I heard their cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" hahaha.

JamieTwort
August 30th 2014

Oh yeah I'd actually forgotten about the singles, that Sunderberry Dream/21st Century Schizoid Man one was great.

clercqie
August 30th 2014

composed over a period of fourteen months (an eternity by Ty Segall standards)

Literally every review I've read for this album starts of like this, lol.

Good stuff though.

why is this only at a 3.7, wake up sheeple

August 30th 2014

composed over a period of fourteen months (an eternity by Ty Segall standards)

Literally every review I've read for this album starts of like this, lol.

Good stuff though.

BUT I TOTALLY PRE-EMPTED THIS.

SO I GET EXTRA POINTS AMIRITE?!!??

theacademy
August 30th 2014

damn clicked this thinkin ty dolla $ign

still interesting i suppose

clercqie

Yeah, have a cookie:

In either case, it wasn't a critique; I just thought it was funny.