Theatre Of Tragedy
Aegis

by manosg USER (37 Reviews)
August 26th, 2014 | 25 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Radically different from the previous two albums, Aegis is still an excellent gothic metal offering that surprised critics and fans alike at the time of its release.

As in real life, evolution is a natural process that usually affects bands and their music. For every Manowar that haven’t changed even remotely there’s an Anathema and for every Motorhead there’s an Amorphis. Even though I love all four of the aforementioned bands, evolution may not always be for the better. Aegis is one of those interesting cases of albums that are considered polarizing because when it came out in 1998, fans of the band simply didn’t know how to feel. It was so different that at the time it alienated a number of diehard fans who loved Theatre of Tragedy for their work on their self titled release and the colossal Velvet Darkness They Fear.

Aegis is not only an evolution of Theatre of Tragedy’s sound but a significant change in style. Gone is the combination of death and doom metal with the harsh guitars but more importantly gone is the band’s trademark “Beauty and the Beast” vocals. There are almost no death growls on Aegis and Liv Kristine’s role is significantly reduced (a direct result of her leaving Norway to live in Germany?). Moreover, the haunting sound of piano that contributed so much to the atmosphere of the first two albums is replaced by keyboards. The music on Aegis is very influenced by the likes of Sisters of Mercy, The Fields of the Nephilim and The Mission. Therefore, the music on this album is more gothic oriented, sadder and colder rather than aggressive and cinematic. Nevertheless, Aegis is still a heavy metal album and a very atmospheric one while with a quick glimpse to the song titles one can see that they consist from female names as on Cocteau Twins’ Treasure. What is important about this album is that the change doesn’t sound forced. Theatre of Tragedy may be entering a different path but the transition sounds very natural and the outcome is more than positive. So even though Aegis is very different than the band’s previous albums, it’s still an excellent offering.

In a nutshell, Aegis is a very significant album on Theatre of Tragedy’s discography as it signifies the end of the band’s most successful period artistically. At the same time, it serves as a fine example of change done right. Even though diehard fans may have trouble getting into this album, it’s certainly recommended to fans of gothic metal and bands such as Tiamat and Moonspell.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band Paul Butterfield Blues BandNina Simone Pastel Blues
Nightfall Athenian EchoesAccept Breaker
Toots & The Maytals Funky KingstonThree Seasons Grow
4.2

August 26th 2014

Great album for fans of gothic metal.

Full album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCLno-mz268

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

Voivod
August 26th 2014

Excellent review for an amazing album, pos.

Digging: Alkoholizer - Free Beer... Surf's Up!!!

August 26th 2014

Thanks man. What a great band and an awesome era.

TzarChasm
August 26th 2014

Easily one of their best. I could have done with a couple more albums in this vein, but I guess the lack thereof anchors its "specialness."

menawati
August 26th 2014

you are really banging out these reviews at a hell of a rate man, good job on keeping up the quality

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

71957 Comments

aint rly my cup of tea i guess

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

SharkTooth

awesome review man, pos'd

on a side note:do you think you'll be able to review Velvet Darkness They Fear?
Current review for it is horrid

Digging: Fuzz - Fuzz

DrJohn
August 26th 2014

Wow, this one didn’t have a review yet… I can remember this album stirring quite a reaction when it first came out. Nice manosg!

August 26th 2014

Bro you did a great job on that second paragraph. You pretty much described everything that I was looking for in your review. And:

I like how you stayed on task here and tied everything together. Solid reviewing skills. I also appreciated how you were able to write a short effective review too. Sometimes users will try this and fail at the lack of information but because you ignored useless sentences and took advantage of using every moment to capture 'necessary' information, you succeeded. Pos

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

August 26th 2014

Thanks for the kind words guys!

@TzarChasm
Well put. They tried to evolve even more with their next albums but they shifted towards a non metal path and that's where they lost me.

@menawati
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

@KILL
You like their earlier stuff?

@SharkTooth
Sure man, why not? I'll add it to my list but I don't think I'll get to it soon.

@DrJohn
First time I listened to this album I didn't know what him me, haha. Can't say I liked it at first but learned to love it with time.

@Captain
Thanks a lot man, I'm really glad you liked the review! I try to keep my reviews short and informative in order not to bore the reader so I'm happy you enjoyed it.

danielcardoso
August 26th 2014

Great review, bro. Pos'd from me.

Thanks bud!

19916 Comments

what mena said, you've been pumping out these reviews like a mad man lately! This is really well-written, probably one of your best reviews so far :]

Digging: Dornenreich - Freiheit

August 26th 2014

whoa sweet I was gonna review this soon but guess I don't have to anymore

anyway great view agreed with pretty much everything

Digging: Peter Christopherson - Time Machines II

@Atari
Thanks dude! I'm in the zone lately, haha. I have so many albums to review on my list so I'll keep posting.

@laughingman22
Nice to see another ToT fan around. Is this your favorite album by them?

SharkTooth
August 26th 2014

he listened to it after I submitted it for Judio's game, so I think atm its a 'yes'

Judio!
August 26th 2014

Very nice review my friend! Even though you never signed up for the Review a Random Album Game, I'm gonna add your name to the list anyway cuz i don't think anyone really was assigned this album.

Digging: Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

August 26th 2014

I listened to a albums before and after this one a bit

but yeah this is my favorite style of ToT by far

@Judio
Cool man. I might participate the next time, it's a great game.

@laughingman22
Nice. I actually think this is easier to get into than their first two.

August 26th 2014

I much prefer the gloomy vocals on this over the death growls on the previous albums

In fact the vocals are the highlight for me on this