Rustie

good

by Will Robinson STAFF
August 21st, 2014 | 92 replies

Release Date: 08/26/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The musical equivalent of a firework - flashy, bright, and full of joy, but insubstantial and ephemeral.

The sense of wonder permeating Rustie’s Green Language can be nothing short of astounding at times, often bounding far beyond even the Day-Glo maximalism of the producer’s previous releases. The album kicks off in a similar manner to Russell Whyte’s previous LP, Glass Swords, by painting a beatless canvas with wide brushstrokes of gaudy, glittering chords, but the differences between “Workship” and “Glass Swords” set the course for the glaring differences between the two works. Whereas “Glass Swords” kept a choke collar on Whyte’s sprawling sonic landscapes by means of tight, brutal distortion, “Workship” destroys the metaphorical collar with vast swathes of crystalline treble. Similarly, the lead track on Green Language doesn’t have the strangely spartan attention span of “Glass Swords” - its glow fades out in only two minutes, immediately clearing the stage for other wild-eyed tracks which punch through the listener’s ears relentlessly.

Part of what made Glass Swords such an engaging listen is that Rustie didn’t let his music wander too far - the unstable, tottering chords in the beginning of “Surph” found a counterbalance in the song’s steady bassline, for example. Counterintuitively, what makes the beginning of Green Language an almost transcendental experience is precisely the opposite: the dizzying euphoria it evokes. The blinding sunlight of the first two tracks sets the stage perfectly for the colossal “Raptor,” its trill-as-fuck synth slides and hi-hat barrages igniting the energy built by the two-song buildup with a bang almost as giant as the song’s massive trash-can toms. The squeaky-clean percussive melody of following track “Paradise Stone” serves as an expertly-placed trough following the huge crest of “Raptor,” rekindling the album’s intrepid, almost breathless direction and gently rolling it on its way towards its conclusion.

Unfortunately, just as D Double E so poignantly points out in “Up Down,” the track which kicks off Green Language’s mid-album slide, “what goes up must come down.” It’s clear Whyte knew the impossibility of sustaining the joy of the first few tracks for long - why else would the whole LP be 37 minutes long? - but it’s shocking how quickly Green Language devolves into a mindless rehash of other (and better) syrupy, sluggish, and unoriginal trap. Barring the unsurprisingly excellent “Attak,” which succeeds because of Danny Brown’s live-wire flow energizing the one track in the middle of the album that actually sounds like Rustie, the album’s center is chock-full of clunky 808 arpeggios, dull features, and boring interpretations of fun-house hip-hop. Nowhere is this more apparent than the sadly terrible “Lost,” one of Rustie’s most torpid productions ever, although the painfully paint-by-numbers “He Hate Me” and “Dream On” are also excellent examples of where, exactly, Rustie’s glamour and sparkle fizzled out.

The inconsistencies within Green Language, unfortunately, undermine the potential beauty of the album’s closing few minutes. The album coasts serenely to an almost immensely satisfying conclusion, the proverbial sun rising after a long night losing it to off-the-wall trap. However, instead of capping off what should have been a perfectly paced dissolution of wonder into the bloodstream, the final two tracks only provide a merciful end to a listen gone somewhat sour. Obviously, it’s a Herculean accomplishment to create a piece of music which can carefully meter out euphoria, walking the fine line between too much too fast and too great an increase near the end. However, given how well-ruled Glass Swords was and how joyful Green Language could have been, it’s disappointing to see Rustie fail after such an impressive beginning.

Nicki Minaj The PinkprintRL Grime Void
Ariana Grande My EverythingThe Bug Angels and Devils
Venetian Snares My Love Is A BulldozerSeven Lions Worlds Apart
2.6
Justin Swope (2.5)
On Green Language, Rustie vacillates between the gaudy and the ethereal with mixed results....

stream: http://www.pandora.com/station/play/2209283727770579945

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

ExplosiveOranges
August 20th 2014

Nice rev, Will. Ima pass on this one.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

Phlegm

mmmm no thanks

Digging: Raresh - Fabric 78

apokolypz
August 21st 2014

aww man, was looking forward to this. Gonna take a listen. Really digged Glass Swords

ILJ
August 21st 2014

it's okay if most of the album is trap bangers so long as they're as good as triadzz/slasherr

Digging: FKA Twigs - LP1

TMobotron
August 21st 2014

I didn't make it all the way through my first listen but damn did I dislike that D Double track. Never been a big fan of his but that chorus is so boring.

jtswope
August 21st 2014

Gotta give this another listen to formulate an actual opinion.

Deviant.

Don't bother, it's ass

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Rev
August 21st 2014

so disappointing, hell, I didn't even really care Attak, despite being a huge Danny Brown fanboy

clercqie
August 21st 2014

To be fair, I wasn't that big on Glass Swords either.

Nice writeup as ever!

PappyMason

Nice review.

I had a feeling that this could go this way. I might give it a listen later.

Digging: Cocteau Twins - Victorialand

Shiranui
August 21st 2014

Pandora doesn't work for me.

So is this basically a hit or miss, or an overall average?

Wolfhorde
August 21st 2014

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this is not on par with his other material and deduce it would be a waste of my time to listen to the full album.

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Den sorgligaste musiken i varlden

oldsoul
August 21st 2014

It basically would be, I was pretty disappointed. I think Attak and Raptor are still worth checking out though.

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

carnivalguy
August 21st 2014

So disappointed by this. This was easily my most anticipated album of the year after Glass Swords, but a lot of these songs feel unfinished and underdeveloped.

HighandDriving
August 21st 2014

Hope this is betta than reviewer says -

3) Disclosure 222 plays

There's a good chance.

dcalderon
August 21st 2014

Attak is great if you approach it as a hip hop song, not as much if you approach it as a uhmm, "trap" song

August 21st 2014

Oh come on Disclosure is pop gold

August 21st 2014

Also iirc I said Attak was the only good part of the middle section so

HighandDriving
August 21st 2014

Haha I'm joking... kinda.

I listen to a lot of disclosure remixes, cause I dig a lot of the remixers. Tho Disclosure in itself is essentially One Direction Deep House.

Here's one I'm listening to now -