Toots & The Maytals
Funky Kingston

by manosg CONTRIBUTOR (55 Reviews)
August 16th, 2014 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Equally suitable for beginners or experienced listeners, Funky Kingston is a brilliant reggae album that everyone should listen at least once.

It might seem stereotypical but I really don’t mind; when I listen to reggae I think of palm trees, high temperatures, the ocean, slow rhythms and myself in a state of complete relaxation and euphoria. That doesn’t mean that reggae is all about relaxation; it can be deep and introspective or carry strong revolutionary messages and disperse them with outmost efficiency to folks like myself. Granted, when it comes to reggae I’m nearly scratching the surface of the genre. As with most people, I began by listening to Bob Marley and the Wailers and my knowledge is limited to a mere 25-30 artists. Nonetheless, when an album is as qualitative as the one under review, it really doesn’t matter how familiar is one with reggae.

Funky Kingston is one of the most uplifting albums you’ll ever hear so do yourself a favor and put aside for a moment your doom, folk, prog, or whatever music you use for introspection and give this one a chance before the end of summer. However, don’t be mistaken because Funky Kingston is not all sun and lying on a hammock. This is a well rounded reggae album having numerous soulful moments and even includes two covers of rhythm and blues songs. In addition, there’s a reggae version of the well known “Louie Louie”. In all honesty, there’s nothing not to like about this album even if one is a superficial reggae fan (like myself). Funky Kingston can be a very suitable album for those who wish to get into the genre. One of the strengths of the album is the solid rhythm section that builds a solid platform on which Toots tells his stories.

A lot of the charm of this album though has to do with Frederick "Toots" Hibbert’s deep and soulful voice. Although he might not be characterized as a great singer “technically”, he is certainly gifted and sounds sincere; he has no trouble getting the message through and that’s all that matters. He’s not talking about spirituality in a Rastafarian manner but more about everyday life situations and struggles. The songwriting on here is on a very high level and the instrumentation is impeccable. In addition, the production is excellent and Funky Kingston certainly sounds much better than early reggae albums that sounded as if they were recorded with the use of a single mic in the bottom of a well.

Funky Kingston was released twice in 1972 (Jamaica) and 1975 as it went on to become a big success in the US market. The quality of the album was such that lead it to international success and positioned it on Rolling Stone’s list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. So do yourself a favor and forget your everyday problems by giving this album a listen.

Jaded Star Memories From The FutureLeaf Hound Growers of Mushroom
Desert Near the End Hunt for the SunThe Gentle Storm The Diary
Ranger Where Evil DwellsEvil Invaders Pulses of Pleasure

August 16th 2014

Summertime is reggae time so give this one a listen.

Full album here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Funky+Kingston/447909

Your comments are appreciated.

Digging: Dorthia Cottrell - Dorthia Cottrell

JohnnyOnTheSpot
August 16th 2014

Good review, though I personally dislike when people use chart positions as justification but oh well.
Never gave this guy a fair shot so maybe I will

Digging: Holly Herndon - Platform

August 16th 2014

Just a mere fact of the album's success rather than justification but thanks.

ExplosiveOranges
August 16th 2014

Nice to see you back up and reviewing, man. Pos'd.

Digging: Death Grips - The Powers That B - Part II: Jenny Death

August 16th 2014

Reggae, alright! I think that I only listened to one song from Toots & Maytals in my whole life, it was Pressure Drop. I found that song through Izzy Stradlin's first solo album, where he covered that track. It got me curious, and I loved that chilled out vibe of that song. Good review as always, pos'd from me.

@EO

Thanks bud.

@daniel

Thanks dude. One more reason why Izzy is the man ;)

Yeah, Izzy rocks. Check this song out:

A bit long, but it has a cool relaxed vibe, see if you dig it.

August 16th 2014

Yeah it's a nice song. Izzy's a laid back dude and I think that was the reason he left GnR. He didn't want to be a part of the rock and roll circus that the band was at the time.

August 16th 2014

Yeah, I think that too. He's always been a very reserved guy, and he knew when to step away from Guns N' Roses, he was putting his life at risk. He's got some pretty cool stuff solo, it's a bit rockabilly, a bit reggae, a bit country, a little bit of everything. It's nothing all that special, but it's laidback and fun.

deslad
August 16th 2014

As I am one of those people who tend to connect the sound of reggae with summertime, I will listen to it as soon as possble. Excellent review again man, pos.

"...my knowledge is limited to a mere 25-30 artists": haha, I am not sure if I know more that 5-10 reggae artists, so your number is not so "mere" I'd say.

Digging: Camel - Mirage

@daniel

Agreed. I respect the guy because even though his presence was very important for GnR he kept his ego low.

@deslad

haha, thanks a lot, you're too kind. Hope you enjoy the album.

DrJohn
August 19th 2014

Good choice for a review, have a l8 pos.

August 20th 2014

Thanks man. I hope more peeps check this album as it has a serious summer vibe.

deslad
August 20th 2014

I just listened to this and it is such a great album. It definitely needs more love.

20446 Comments

forget your everyday problems by giving this album a listen

i just may have to do this ;) cool review man

Digging: Downfall of Nur - Umbras de Barbagia

August 21st 2014

@deslad

Glad you enjoyed the album!

@Atari

Thanks dude. This album has a really laid back vibe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

ExcentrifugalForz