Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate)
You Will Eventually Be Forgotten

by Eli EMERITUS
August 14th, 2014 | 143 replies

Release Date: 08/19/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: As the years pass it's becoming more and more confusing as to why this band is spearheading the whole emo revival movement.

Listening to empire! empire! (I was a lonely estate) is a lot like living in a loveless marriage-it’s sad and isolating, but somehow comfortable and familiar. Keith Latinen has always crafted music that recalls the emo greats, such as Penfold and Mineral, while carving out his own niche. Sure that niche is filled with painfully obvious emotional hooks and eye roll worthy confessional lyrics, but it’s a goofy and sweet delivery nonetheless. But as time passes it’s harder to forgive the band for their niceties, as they continue to craft the most banal emo around. With their sophomore record, empire! empire! are the same as ever, but now the schtick is tired.

With You Will Eventually Be Forgotten it’s easier now than ever to write off the band completely. Practically carbon copies of every piece of music that empire! empire! has ever created, their sophomore record is filled with tracks that berate the listener with sickly sweet words hooks. All this, of course, to illicit a very specific emotional response which feels partly nostalgic but nowhere near as genuine as, say, American Football. And there’s the rub. It’s hard to take Latinen seriously when he’s singing of lost loves and ineffable sadness. In the promotional photo we see him sitting happily next to his wife holding a puppy for Christ’s sake.

But this is by no means a deal breaker. You Will Eventually Be Forgotten feels phony, but that isn’t anything new for the band. What is new, however, is the slicker production, something direly needed. No longer does Latinen sound like he’s singing into a tin can. The album is warmer and fuller, with the vocals sounding less shrill and the guitars feeling less metallic. This certainly helps the near 40-minute album slide by effortlessly, with its only hindrance being the haphazard songwriting.

You see, You Will Eventually Be Forgotten offers nothing new nor does it pay respectable homage to its influences. It’s an awkward mish mash of emo revival and things older, better bands have done in the past. The songs lack refinement and maturity, existing in a weird space where teenage boys playing in their garages somehow manage to be emotionally enlightening. Nothing here is powerful enough to feel cathartic, while conversely none of it is subtle enough to feel genuine.

empire! empire! (I was a lonely estate) have made another album where they sound like empire! empire! (I was a lonely estate) and a bunch of other bands. It's like the entire record is a parody of emo as whole, which is embarrassing considering how seriously it takes itself. If being hit over the head with emotional builds and confessional lyrics is appealing to you, then perhaps You Will Eventually Be Forgotten will be of some value.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
3.2
good
Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
An album that will make you very sad (but not in the good way)...

August 14th 2014

I did not proof read this my apologies

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

StallionMang
August 14th 2014

there will be hell to pay

Digging: LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

eli! agreed wholeheartedly

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

Eli : (

I'm not gonna read this review before I listen to this because I respect you but my opinion has already been tainted

Digging: Dirty Beaches - Stateless

20559 Comments

okay I read it anyway and I have one question: what's your thoughts on the EPs? I like Home After 3 more than the LP I think

melonade
August 14th 2014

you reviewed before trebor holy shit

August 14th 2014

This review pretty much covers my thoughts on the band as a whole. I gave the EPs a shot and feel the same way. I've never liked this band and decided to give them another try with this record. Added to this they are abysmal live.

I will say, Eric, that you will probably really dig this. And I hope that you do.

August 14th 2014

good to see for once a staffer (erm, emeritus) agrees with me.

i listened to this twice last night and didn't make it all the way through the second playthrough

August 14th 2014

lol i don't doubt that they suck ass live - especially those whinier bits

August 14th 2014

After awhile Kieth just gets irritating. It's like the entire record is a parody of an emo album but it's actually totally serious

cool, thanks!
though I haven't really dug any new "midwestern emo indie etc." for a loooooong time now so we'll see

20559 Comments

and that's true -- I forgot that you've never really dug them(?!).

August 14th 2014

I'm saying that because you like the band there shouldn't be any reason that you won't like this ; )

August 14th 2014

tbh i think keith's vocals are way too polished on this album

August 14th 2014

it does sort of seem like a parody of the genre. i still think their debut is pretty solid, despite some gratingly awful vocal performances here and there but this is, and i hate to use the word, derivative

minty901

2073 Comments

too soon brah

oh god don't start

JohnnyOnTheSpot
August 14th 2014

That Trebor guy is gonna be pissed lol watch out

Digging: Astral and Shit - Spiritus Vitae

August 14th 2014

the guitars on if it's bad news are twinkly as fuck tho