Miss May I
Rise of the Lion

2.0
poor

by Mark A. USER (58 Reviews)
August 13th, 2014 | 32 replies

Release Date: 04/29/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rise of the Lion reeks of wasted potential and lazy songwriting.

Miss May I have released their most formulaic and weakest album to date. Rise of the Lion is the sound of a band regressing further away from the potential that once shone bright on their debut LP. Apologies Are For The Weak used punishing breakdowns, some creative riffs, and Levi Benton's varied vocal delivery to provide an album that stood above its peers. It has unfortunately been a downward spiral with each album, so it shouldn't surprise the listener that this album is the band's most derivative output yet.

While the vocals have always been a plus on past releases, Benton's screams have devolved to a very strained yell that only hints at its former glory. The lack of variation only further accentuate the bland instrumentation present here; what's worse, the whole affair isn't egregiously bad, simply just painfully boring and inoffensive. The aggressive tempo in past albums has been replaced with a mid-tempo pacing that seems lackadaisical. "Gone" demonstrates this recurring problem perfectly; the clean vocals in the chorus are made for radio rock, and the riff at the end of the song couldn't have been more watered-down and uninspired. The final nail in the coffin is the sameness in songwriting throughout Rise of the Lion; the beginning guitars in both "You Want Me" and "Tangled Tongues" are so similar that they are almost indistinguishable. It's at this particular point that the tracks start bleeding into one another, and the listener doesn't have any respite from the feeling of sameness that pervades the whole record.

That's not to say that there isn't anything to enjoy on the album. Fans of the older material will find remnants of their more abrasive sound within the tameness that dominates throughout this release. "Refuse to Believe" and "Lunatik" actually start the record fairly well, employing strong choruses and passionately screamed vocals. Surprisingly, the best track to be found here is the most melodic track. "Echoes" is Miss May I's attempt to craft a radio-friendly track, and while it is the antithesis of what Miss May I have released in the past, it suits them quite well at this point. The fans that are still waiting on the promise that the band had on their first album will be disappointed, but the casual listener of post hardcore and modern metalcore could potentially find some merit in the songs presented. Unfortunately, Rise of the Lion reeks of wasted potential and lazy songwriting. Here's to hoping Miss May I can bounce back from the lack of edge present here and refine their overall approach; the disappointment here for older fans is palpable.

The Banner GreyingJoyce Manor Never Hungover Again
Mr. Muddle General's QuartersAb-Soul These Days...
As Blood Runs Black Ground ZeroRun the Jewels Run the Jewels 2
1.9
poor
GrimReaper (1.5)
I've been disappointed a lot by 2014 music releases. None have made me as angry as this one....

krthll1 (1.5)
Metalcore deserves a better portrait than Miss May I give to fans with this record. Music in general...

Pug Gracie (2)
Pastiche that has become pitiful....

August 13th 2014

Originally posted here: http://thesonicsensory.com/2014/05/08/miss-may-i-rise-of-the-lion/

I used to listen to these guys back when Apologies for the Weak came out and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Digging: The Banner - Greying

August 13th 2014

Great review, man. Dat summary though.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

August 13th 2014

Nice review album sucks shit

VaxXi

"This cant be that bad"

*One song later*

Alright, this is terrible.

August 13th 2014

Surprisingly Oranges, that was the nicest I could be about it.

Thanks Betray, agreed. When the most melodic song is the best one, and you're a metalcore band, you've done something wrong.

VaxXi, it's pretty terrible.

nononsense
August 13th 2014

Split up the last paragraph.

August 13th 2014

"When the most melodic song is the best one, and you're a metalcore band, you've done something wrong. "

wow so true for so many albums

Tunaboy45

smells like a pos

Digging: Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

August 13th 2014

Nonsense, where would you split that last para up?

@Betray, so many examples of it happening the past few years especially.

Thanks Tuna!

August 13th 2014

I'm not even gonna bother with this one.

laughingman22

1941 Comments

Lastsignal you have been releasing so many reviews lately, and they're always quality

pos

August 13th 2014

Yeah, just don't worry about this one, Oranges. Kings used to have food tasters to ensure it wasn't poisoned. This is fairly comparable in an auditory manner lol.

August 13th 2014

thanks laughingman, I appreciate it! I've been reviewing a lot more this year, so I think it has paid off for the most part.

It has, bro.

August 13th 2014

Thanks man, I'm hoping to get to 50 by the end of the month. I have quite a few new releases that I'd like to write about.

August 13th 2014

By February, there should be no reason for you not to be promoted.

August 13th 2014

Thanks for the vote of confidence, man!

TooManyFriends

love this album

Ecnalzen
August 13th 2014

I'm just here to comment on a Signal review.

Hi.

August 13th 2014

@toomany, your rating doesn't reflect that sentiment though ;]

Oh hey Ec, how goes it? Having a good day?