The Austerity Program
Beyond Calculation

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2014 | 32 replies

Release Date: 06/17/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Devoid of trend

Listening to metal for as long as I have has its proven merits. I’ve been through enough up and downs within the genre to make your head spin and while I don’t care to indulge deeply on this matter, it’s brought me to think of how metal has evolved to the point it’s at today. Firstly, there comes a point in time where a band breaks down a barrier and a whole *** load of bands follow suit. Then comes stagnation while a whole slew of bands toil in the underground with their middle-finger raised high against the current trend and.......BAM! out pops a new hybrid of what was cool in the yester-year followed by another slew of bands to follow suit - kind of like progression through reverse progression if you get my drift. In order to move forward, we must take a few steps backwards and place a concrete form on what’s existing today. And then there’s sometimes where a band breaks the mold of this trend and says, “*** you, I’m going to play what I want”. Cue in unique bands that simply don’t care what sub-sub-sub-sub genre of death metal/ black metal are playing at whatever time-signature under whatever production value and touring with whatever band is sheep-herding. The Austerity Program should be coming to mind at this point in time and if haven’t heard of them yet, I suggest you stop trying to keep up with the mess of new talentless *** who think they’re onto something huge or nostalgically invigorating. While not straying far from their previous albums, Beyond Calculation is a sharp focus on past efforts that finds the band at the peak of their art.

The Austerity Program have been around for a while now producing only one L.P. (2007s Black Madonna) and one of my favourite E.P.’s ever (2010s Backsliders and Apostates Will Burn). The duo and their drum machine - comprised of Thad Calabrese on bass and Justin Foley on vocals/ guitar – crisply lay out energetic tunes that don’t exactly revert back to a time of nostalgic glory or build upon a new/ old sound. Rather the duo have found some middle ground with their awesomely incorporated drum machine and have built a sound that’s as catchy as it is hypnotically moving. And no, they’re not some underground movement trying to play some form of elitist yester-year metal either. Instead, Calabrese and Foley dual back and forth using a minimal form of slightly melodic, angular binary guitar notes and hypnotic drum patterns while taking a nibble at post-punk, noise rock, and do I dare say....pop music leanings. Top it off with Foley’s incredible vocal delivery and often well-penned lyrics such as being pushed around by cyberbullies (listen to 'Song 30' and you will know). The intensity that these guys bring to the songs will only make your heart race fast as the up-and-down dynamics will nail to you to the back of your headphones and not let you go until the next song kicks in.

One listen to Beyond Calculation and you will know these guys are their own entity riding in a vast wasteland of copycats and genre-humping metal antics. Calambrese and Foley fall into the category of “*** you, I’m going to play what I want”, not really relying on any popular genre to boost their bio but rather through the sheer interest in making music they love and making it heard loud and clear. You hear this through their simple - and yet complicated take on.....wait, going to take a stab at this....industrialized post-punk pop music?.....that sucks......everything I love about heavy music; catchy, noisy, unique and makes me want to move.

Godflesh PureSun Worship Elder Giants
Lord Mantis Death MaskHorseback Piedmont Apocrypha
Carcass Surgical SteelBody Stuff Body Stuff

19612 Comments

I get so amped when I listen to this and it almost makes forget the absolute shit of Empyium and Opeth I've had to endure this week (two of the worst albums I've heard all year).

If you haven't heard these guys, do it NOW!

Digging: Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

19612 Comments

Why hasn't this album been reviewed/ featured yet? This is something I would assume Sputnik would eat up.

Ryuujin
August 2nd 2014

spot-on review for one of my favorite albums of the year so far. pos'd.

Jacquibim
August 2nd 2014

sounds interesting would i dig?

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - 9 Songs

19612 Comments

If you like good music, then yes!

emester
August 2nd 2014

album sounds interesting. album's nyp on band camp so what the hell? gunna try this out.

Digging: The Black Twilight Circle - Tliltic Tlapoyauak

Boring music that doesn't actually go anywhere and the vocals are lame :]

Digging: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

BMDrummer
August 2nd 2014

reminds me of Big Black a little bit, Song 33 seemed to have an homage to Bad Houses at the end actually. really digging this so far

PappyMason
August 3rd 2014

Nice review man. This sounds promising, I'll check it out.

Digging: Antony and the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

Boring music that doesn't actually go anywhere and the vocals are lame :]

Are you trying to imitate BigPleb or what? hahaha

It's not for everyone, at least you gave it a try.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

Good review, pos'd.

Digging: Some Some Unicorn - Some Some Unicorn and The Golden Periphery

PunchforPunch

this sounds pretty cool

Xar

this sounds pretty interesting :]

19612 Comments

It's worth your time guys. Thank you for the nice words peeps.

TheSpirit
August 3rd 2014

the album covers color scheme distracted me from the fact that you reviewed this album haha i'm so used to only black covers next to your name... really good, concise review. Posd. For someone who is interested in getting into noise rock (but obviously already accustomed to more abrasive) would you recommend this album?

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

19612 Comments

Hahahaha I thought of the exact same thing when I posted this and then looked at my reviews in my profile.

For someone who is interested in getting into noise rock, this would be a great place to start. Noise rock is one of those sub-genres that blurs too many lines to be considered an actual genre in my humble opinion. Check out some Unsane or The Jesus Lizard.

TheSpirit
August 3rd 2014

Okay will do. I was also thinking abour some ken mode because i've read/heard that they do include *some* metal(core) influences which i feel would help bridge that gap for me

djunior
August 3rd 2014

Good to see a review for this. This is definitely one of my favorites of the year.

Digging: Kiasmos - Kiasmos