Morrissey

by Joseph Viney STAFF
July 23rd, 2014 | 31 replies

Release Date: 07/15/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bigmouth strikes again...and again

The news of an upcoming Morrissey album tends to be greeted with the same reaction and foreboding as a tsunami warning, or the early release of a particularly notorious prisoner. That is, the press go into some weird overdrive, while the populace run about the streets, wailing and gnashing their teeth.

As we are all more than well aware, Morrissey is not exactly the shy and retiring type. Every interview usually runs with the headline “MORRISSEY SAYS ALL MEAT EATERS SHOULD BE BUMMED TO DEATH” or something equally asinine yet money spinning for the publication in question.

So while he lets his untamed opinions run free, can his music do the talking for him this time?

World Peace Is None Of Your Business doesn’t particularly mess with the Morrissey Formula; if he’s got something to say then good Lord he’s going to say it. The classic Miserable Mozza we all know and love (???) is here in the song titles alone: “I’m Not A Man”, “Earth Is The Loneliest Planet” and “Kick The Bride Down The Aisle”…and that’s just for starters.

But what propels this album along is the contradictory versatility. Take, for example, the guitar crunch of “Neal Cassady Drops Dead” nestled alongside its pseudo-intellectual lyrics (“Neal Cassady drops dead/Allan Ginsberg’s lips tighten and thin”). There’s also the vaguely tumultuous seven-minute would-be epic “I’m Not A Man.” Finally, there’s the biting social commentary of “Staircase At The University”; detailing the suicide of an academic ‘failure’ (“If you don’ get 3 A’s, you’re no child of mine and as far as I’m concerned, you’re dead”) with an uplifting tune behind it.

Of course, that’s Morrissey to a tee; grey skies with a glimmer of faded sunshine. Ultimately it’s the well-worn formula that ends up dragging the album down. Tracks like “Kiss Me A Lot” and “Smiler With A Knife” are notable for their anonymity and tired old retreads. “Mountjoy” passes with little to no fanfare. Given the great work apparent on the album’s first half, it’s a pity to see the album slide to a close so disappointingly.

Archie Bronson Outfit Wild CrushManic Street Preachers Futurology
Sweet Apple The Golden Age of GlitterParquet Courts Sunbathing Animal
SKATERS ManhattanTweens Tweens
3.1
good
jordan. CONTRIBUTOR (3)
...and neither is consistency....

firebird1 (4)
Morrissey warned you: his world's pace is none of your business....

PuddlesPuddles

Everyone has babies
Babies full of rabies

klap

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

JViney
July 23rd 2014

Mrs Bartlett I Appreciate The Gift But You Know I'm A Vegan, What Am I Going To Do With All This Lamb?

Soaringmuse
July 23rd 2014

Dat moz dough ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

July 23rd 2014

Nice I was curious about this, but this review confirms my expectations of meh

Digging: Zella Day - Zella Day

DirEnRefused
July 23rd 2014

You literally describe the music for two words in this review: "guitar crunch". The rest is just publication fluff and a few generic phrases. It's like you had to turn this in for a deadline unprepared so you hurriedly read the back of the album and the lyrics sheet.

lz41
July 24th 2014

I know people say Morrissey has the greatest song titles and just meh songs but they should start sticking 'terrible choice of album covers' in there as well

sonictheplumber
July 24th 2014

direnrefused its sputnik dude who cares

Arcade

bad review

Digging: Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love

Arcade
July 24th 2014

I wouldn't be surprised if MORRISSEY SAYS ALL MEAT EATERS SHOULD BE BUMMED TO DEATH makes it onto the next cover of NME.

and this review is fucking brilliant

Odal
July 24th 2014

Yeah, there's, like, three or four sentences that actually describe the music. Should've been a soundoff or something.

But that's none of my business.

Futures

lol

Digging: Mock Orange - Nines & Sixes

Feather
July 24th 2014

"pseudo-intellectual" is the worst phrase ever constructed and I dislike you for using it in your review.

Digging: Zella Day - Zella Day

klap

feather is strictly intellectual

bach
July 24th 2014

moz rules still have to check

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

Thunderkat
July 24th 2014

This review doesn't really describe the music at all, just rumblings about moz's opinions.

But that's none of my business [2]

deathschool
July 24th 2014

"Can You Please Turn That Down Because I'm Trying To Sleep Until I'm Dead #MorrisseyAlbumTitles"

Fucking LOL

Digging: Look What I Did - Zanzibar III: Analog Prison

fromtheinside
July 25th 2014

klap - marry me

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

deathschool
July 25th 2014

His heart belongs to the pug.