Fallujah
The Flesh Prevails

by Adam Gola USER (39 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2014 | 484 replies

Release Date: 07/22/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The logical follow-up to Nomadic, where everything that made the latter good is streamlined and honed.

It is not often that a band starting out as deathcore abandons its initial genre. Only a select few do, yet still tend to fall short - The Contortionist comes to mind with their rather unfocused sophomore effort to follow one of the greatest deathcore albums ever written. Transitioning is simply a very difficult process requiring quality ideas, and most bands are simply incapable of producing those. Fallujah is a hammeringly poignant exception to this rule, with their first deathcore EP being relegated amongst many fans to a limbo of sorts - forgotten and unplayed. And for good reason too, as only as soon as their debut album Fallujah abandoned the tired, cliché approach and came up with one of the most memorable takes on technical death metal in modern history of the genre.

Fallujah's ambient inclinations and the emphasis they like putting on creating immersive, dreamlike soundscapes have been defining traits of theirs since their debut album, yet never before were they as strong as on "The Flesh Prevails". For those who wonder if the album lives up to the very-well-received EP "Nomadic" - yes it does, and then some. Everything that made the latter good is streamlined and honed to the point of approaching perfection, with the emphasis on painting vivid, all-encompassing musical environments reaching an all-time high. The heaviness present on both of Fallujah's earlier offerings has been slightly diminished, but you can still expect frequent extended blast beat passages, creative drum rolls and growled vocals, so the death metal part hasn't gone anywhere. Still, the album has so much going on for it that you don't really care for the heaviness, you don't notice it nor do you care about it all that much. The emphasis is simply being put on something else this time, and it works perfectly. One has to wonder how only four people can create so many layers and self-complementing realms in their music whereas bands of six or even seven people often struggle with even coming close.

In between the band's trademark anthemic tremolo-picked motifs, we are as always treated to jazzy keyboard riffs and astonishingly capable solos, yet the melodies and harmonies themselves are better than ever, losing what little awkwardness and crudeness they may have had on the earlier offerings. This time around we've also got soothing lady vocals thrown in every now and then, a measure perfectly supplementing the lyrical and visual theme of sensuality that the San Francisco quartet chose for this release.

For Fallujah, "The Flesh Prevails" is undoubtedly a consummate offering, it gives the listener every precious sensation that "Nomadic" could, while sacrificing only the feeling of aggression and intensity that accompanied the "The Harvest Wombs" in favor of a much more mellow and relaxed mood. Like on "THW", there are two purely instrumental tracks, and every bit as good if not even better. Like on "Nomadic", there is a purely ambient track in the form of "Alone With You" - this time a full-fledged soft-electro song complete with vocals rather than an indeterminate ambient passage that was "Silent". This gives the album enough variety to create even greater replay value than the band's previous works - every listen of the album can be savored with anticipation. It shifts its drive as soon as you think it should, never outstaying its welcome.

To me it is certain that Fallujah are about to take the world by storm with the release of "The Flesh Prevails", as it perhaps marks the culmination of their upward slope of songwriting quality. You simply can't get much better than that. One can only hope they do not lose their edge on subsequent releases, though.

Album rating: 4.3

Scar Symmetry The Singularity - Phase I: NeohumanityNexilva Eschatologies
Allegaeon Elements of the InfiniteSatariel White Ink: Chapter One
The Arcane Order The Machinery of OblivionSolution .45 For Aeons Past

Asmodeuss1990
July 22nd 2014

Album rules and the review is solid although it comes off as fanboyish.

Digging: Revocation - Deathless

SpiritCrusher2

omg that average hahahaha

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

MO
July 22nd 2014

seriously. after repeated listens it's ok, a little toooo much tweedle-dee going on but it's enjoyable

Jacquibim
July 22nd 2014

As far on content goes this album is insanely good but the production is annoying, fuck Zack Ohren seriously.

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

Futures

hype trainnnnnnnn

Digging: Mock Orange - Nines & Sixes

TheNotrap
July 22nd 2014

"it perhaps marks the culmination of their upward slope of songwriting quality. You simply can't get much better than that."
The band still has room for improvement.

The album has some pretty nice moments, The Night Reveals is a great song.

Have a pos.

Pizzabakker5
July 22nd 2014

I've been listening the preview tracks for a while now. I'm definitely gonna check this one out!

Good review btw.

XfingTheSullen
July 22nd 2014

I tried to not sound all THAT excited... I remember writing much more fanboyish reviews for Scar Symmetry in the past, hee hee. This one was simply really good. I also didn't notice why the production is supposedly bad, I actually paid no attention to it at all.

Digging: Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Phase 1 ? Neohumanity)

Keyblade
July 22nd 2014

Great review. Consider my interest piqued

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

Kusangii
July 22nd 2014

I really want to be a good boy and wait for my copy, but seeing that average rating makes it almost painful

eww the avg.

ewww the dweeds

ewww everyone

go the fuck outside

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

Omaha

hey fromtheinside

you probably won't like my review since i think this album is only 'pretty cool'

July 22nd 2014

oh no how will I ever understand a well thought opinion.

too much credit?

i think im gonna find a way to live either way

i think

Omaha

hahahaha dudeeee

i only say this because it seemed my ETID review broke your heart a little in places

oresttt
July 22nd 2014

great record, sapphire rules hard.

pos'd

Tyrael

20904 Comments

false metal aoty

XfingTheSullen
July 22nd 2014

False metal? I wonder why, because they started out as deathcore or what? :D

July 22nd 2014

and im still laughing at how you called ex boring. : p

a little heart like mine can only take so much

cmaitland421
July 22nd 2014

My preorder for this needs to show up right now.

Gameofmetal
July 22nd 2014

Good review. I want to do one but is there an unspoken rule about two reviews of the same album in a day? I'm worried about waiting too because someone else seems likely to do one tomorrow as well with how popular this is.