Venetian Snares

good

by Will Robinson STAFF
July 22nd, 2014 | 67 replies | 3,617 views

Release Date: 06/16/2014 | Tracklist

When listening to My Love is a Bulldozer, it’s hard not to wonder if music is actually supposed to sound like Aaron Funk’s catastrophic creations. It’s difficult to stomach an album which seems like the aural equivalent of the cover of Swans’ Filth if the grimace belonged to Richard D. James. It’s got to be a joke, right? I mean, Funk sings and screams so loudly at times that the recording clips painfully (most noticeably during “Your Smiling Face” but also on tracks like “1000 Years”). The music slips ungracefully between weepy, lethargic strings and insane drill’n’bass as Funk’s creepily endearing voice turns harsh and abrasive. The album’s title track - by most accounts its centerpiece - features Funk crooning about how the song’s target is the only one who can “make [his] dick feel like this” behind an assault of chiptune gone bad and Venetian Snares’ trademark brand of haywire jungle beats. Worst of all, My Love is a Bulldozer is consummately unmemorable. I mean, how the hell are you supposed to internalize any of Funk’s supremely discordant melodies and drum contusions?

Now would be the time where a better reviewer than I could probably get at exactly what Venetian Snares is going for with a release like this, but I’m just as stumped as I assume everybody else is. I can guess, of course. It’s possible that Funk utilizes his utterly unforgiving breakcore in order to highlight the more palatable moments featured here, like the rays of light shining through the trash can snares of “She Runs.” Maybe, much like Aphex Twin before him, Funk is more interested in the creation of the pieces than the pieces themselves - the absurd amount of work required to twist and tweak the drums to exactly the point he wants is a sort of masochistic reward in and of itself. Or maybe Venetian Snares simply doesn’t give a shit anymore, that his greatest pleasure is watching listeners try to suffer through his noise bombs and that My Love is a Bulldozer showcases some of the most intentionally unlistenable music possible for the sake of existing. Whatever Funk’s motivation in pumping out yet another breakcore grenade in his long line of breakcore grenades, My Love is a Bulldozer is at the very least an engaging listen - make of that what you will.

Ariana Grande My EverythingRustie Green Language
The Bug Angels and DevilsSeven Lions Worlds Apart
Big Freedia Just Be FreeSam Smith In the Lonely Hour
3.3

July 21st 2014

review is for Judio!'s review a random album game! yay! review most certainly kind of sucks as it's way way way outside my comfort zone but at least it's probably better than the Resident Advisor review by virtue of not using the phrase "My Love Is A Bulldozer is a deeply ostentatious album, though knowingly so"

July 21st 2014

Shame, I quite liked this but not as much as Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett. The lyrics on the t/t track really put my off but stuff like She Runs and Shaky Sometimes are incredible.

This must not have been easy for you, haha.

deserves at least a 4.5 for the album art alone

good review considering it's not your kind of music, this isn't peak funk

Digging: Brian Eno and Karl Hyde - High Life

July 21st 2014

t/t has some incredible glitch/drum work, but was the "My dick feels so hard it could break apart" necessary?

Judio!
July 21st 2014

Hell yeah sweet review man! Imaginary pos.

"the aural equivalent of the cover of Swans’ Filth if the grimace belonged to Richard D. James."

Can't get that image out of my head now lol.

Digging: Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty

July 21st 2014

i expect that kind of stuff from VS at this point

at least it's way better than the shitheap that was my so called life

July 21st 2014

Oh definitely, but I kind of just see this as RCAS part 2 and not something he'll necessarily build upon. I sadly think he'll fade into mediocrity for the next two years or so by this stage

July 21st 2014

i hope not but you're probably right

at least we'll always have RCAS and My Downfall

July 21st 2014

thanks for the positive feedback y'all! yeah opening track and She Runs are probably the two best tracks here but that's also cause they're the least abrasive haha

July 21st 2014

The abrasive tracks aren't bad, but they just come off as tacky, like Amazon. Also, the charm that RCAS is virtually non existent on this

Omaha

nice work dude

i will recommend you use the dude's full name in that first line, thought you were talking about the funk genre for a second haha. heard some of this and i had absolutely no idea what to make of it

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

July 21st 2014

haha will edit. I added that bit after I finished the review so I referred to him as Aaron later but
not early enough

TMobotron
July 21st 2014

Nice! Really glad this got a review. I actually REALLY enjoy this album. It's obviously not as good as Rossz but it's just fun as hell and I probably like it more than any of his releases since Rossz.

This reads lower than 3.1 to me, but big props for stepping out of your comfort zone on this Will.

Deviant.

This album deserves better

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Typhoner
July 22nd 2014

but at least it's probably better than the Resident Advisor review

comparing yourself to other reviewers is quite a big deal for you huh? I think I said the same in your Jessy Lanza review but w/e.

Anyway, this isn't really much of a review at all, I'd say. Like, you can actually write good reviews, but you're not even trying here.

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Deviant.

You missed the part where he went on a rampage against FACT's Joe (bro) Muggs

Judio!
July 22nd 2014

"Like, you can actually write good reviews, but you're not even trying here."

wut

itchybutthole
July 22nd 2014

ooo yeah must check this

Digging: Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco

zakalwe
July 22nd 2014

Forlorn horse boy will perform tricks for sugar lumps.

Mental artwork.

tommygun
July 22nd 2014

have a tough time gettin into this dude's tunes but fuck me that art is really something

Digging: Broods - Evergreen