Suicide Silence

poor

by Jacquibim STAFF
July 12th, 2014 | 262 replies

Release Date: 07/14/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Suicide Silence remain in stylistic limbo"

Rarely in metal has the death of a frontman been as polarising as that of Mitch Lucker, with opinions being divided on his ability as a vocalist, his very worth as a person and the circumstances under which his life was tragically cut short. No matter what side of the fence you’re on, whether you consider him an inspiration, or a drunken lunatic with a contemptible disregard for his family, it’s inarguable that without him, Suicide Silence wouldn’t have shot to the kind of prominence that they did. Irrespective of peoples’ thoughts on the band itself, the reaction to Mitch’s maniacal performances was roundly laudatory, and his charismatic demeanour helped ensure Suicide Silence’s position as the poster boys of an otherwise largely ridiculed style of music.

Replacing a figure like Mitch was always going to be difficult, from both an artistic point of view and with regards to the band’s image. Do they start anew and leave the past behind them, discarding what Mitch would have brought to fruition should he have been here today? Do they honour their fallen brother and continue where he left off as some sort of retrospective gratification? Well, after leaving one of deathcore’s rare critically defendable acts, Eddie Hermida signalled his intention to mould Suicide Silence into something of his own, proudly exclaiming for us to “expect heavy, expect different” and yet, You Can’t Stop Me feels like a wasted opportunity. Signs of creative delegation on Eddie’s part are definitely here and the band is livelier than ever from an instrumental perspective, but it’s still a Suicide Silence album. Anyone who expected high octane riff barrages a la All Shall Perish is going to be hugely disappointed, because barring a handful of tracks like the closer “Ouroboros”, it almost seems like the band are afraid to try anything even remotely new.

“Ending is The Beginning” hearkens to the overtly percussive stylings of The Cleansing, while the title track feels like a throwback to the anthemic clichés of No Time to Bleed. “Sacred Words” is the most distinguishable song thanks to some poppy sensibilities, making good use of clean, reverberant guitar lines and infectious vocal work during the chorus, but these moments of minor triumph are consistently subdued by track after track of samey, directionless nonsense. Even the brief guest performances from Corpsegrinder and Greg Puciato feel like little more than a vocal dick measuring contest for Eddie, who – it must be said – is still absolutely meteoric in the vocal department, duly saving the album from complete deplorableness. There’s a curious sense of Deja Vu then, with another talented frontman voluntarily teaming with a mediocre instrumental section, only this time at the cost of one of the genre’s most valuable assets.

So while You Can’t Stop Me is an improvement for Suicide Silence, it’s important to remember that success is relative. The Black Crown was, without exaggeration, one of the worst albums I’ve ever had the displeasure of hearing, and so the only possible way for the band to go was upwards. Perhaps You Can’t Stop Me will prove to be transitional in years to come, as Mitch’s posthumous influence wanes and Eddie has the freedom to dictate the band’s musical endeavours, we just don’t know right now. For the time being however, Suicide Silence remain in a stylistic limbo, hinting at progress here and there but ultimately falling short of the mark, yet again.

Dark Tranquillity AtomaUlcerate Shrines of Paralysis
Predatory Light Predatory LightMare Cognitum Luminiferous Aether
Blood Incantation StarspawnInfant Annihilator The Elysian Grandeval Galèriarch
Chris Maitland (3)
Thanks to new vocalist Eddie Hermida, Suicide Silence's comeback record is a mild success....

Pug Gracie (3)
Suicide Silence is able to overshadow the never ending cyber-vigil to Mitch Lucker and let us apprec...

Mall (2)
I once thought that I had found the path, for so long I believed in all your bullshit...

Philmore Allen Taylor (2)
Sometimes a band needs to stop saying "You can't stop me" and start saying "It's timme to part ways"...

adr
July 12th 2014

why you even reviewing this, anyway gonna read brb

July 12th 2014

Album Rating: This Album is a Puddle of Diabetic Shit.

yah agreed

Digging: Boosie Badazz - Happy Thanksgiving & Merry Christmas

July 12th 2014

this is miles better than anything they've ever done but still sucks

adr
July 12th 2014

yeah album sucks, good review also, agreed with everything.

chris aylward is mad af

EDIT:Just leaked. Death metal at its finest. Even the elitists will be bowing down to this
album. Perfect from rbeginning to end, innovative riffs, magnificent drum performance and a
legendary vocal performance and reven a highly respectable bass performence. Suicide silence
have truly become a great and original band that rwill gain the respect of the entire metal
community.

EDIT: "Best Suicide Silence Album ever 1/5"

Gives it a 2.0 damn this guy doesn't even know how he feels

EDIT: looks like you need another edit

ExplosiveOranges
July 12th 2014

Band is mostly shite. Sorry you had to go through the displeasure of listening to this thing, Jac.

Kusangii

A 2 is honestly way too generous dude

Inveigh
July 12th 2014

album cover looks strikingly similar to the new Tombs album art. not that it's relevant in any way. Good review man.

There is no way in hell I am listening to this.

Digging: Diamond Head - Diamond Head

July 12th 2014

good review as always Jac.. it kinda makes me upset that puciato is on this/:

SnakeDelilah
July 12th 2014

I bet this is lower than a 2.

July 12th 2014

why am i actually listening to this?

mindleviticus

awful album

BMDrummer
July 12th 2014

Might actually check this just out of curiosity

bro its bad.

Grizzlypyro
July 12th 2014

Band have always been terrible.

TheSpaceMan
July 12th 2014

great review man if I actually listened to the album I'm sure I'd agree with what you said

Spec

All Shall Perish pls.

Spec
July 12th 2014

Love his vocals though so I'm tempted to check this out.

Terrible idea I know.

BassDemon333
July 12th 2014

His vocals rule but instrumentally its standard SS

TheSpaceMan
July 12th 2014

deathcore album art was never that good but its been silly as fuck for the past few years, whats up with that neon cube?