Parquet Courts

by Joseph Viney EMERITUS
July 7th, 2014 | 45 replies

Release Date: 06/03/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Court is in session once more

The first question Sunbathing Animal asks of the listener is “Does lightning strike twice?” In this case, the album might not be able to summon a brace of electrical storms, but certainly some heavy rain and high winds.

2013’s Light Up Gold was a vague masterpiece in terms of showing how a really stripped back group can still present some real magic. Given that most of the group are from New York, all of the obvious influences tend be in place; Lou Reed, The Strokes, Ramones, sunglasses indoors, affected detached urban cool.

Essentially, bands like Parquet Courts do well for themselves because, while they might not speak *for* us, they certainly speak *to* us. Most of us have been “Stoned and Starving” after all.

A year of plaudits, fawning and general tomfoolery doesn’t appear to have skewed PQ’s current formula a great deal. Sunbathing Animal, for the most part, continues from where we left off last year.

The same tricks and ticks are deployed: lyrics that veer across street poetry and post-modern perspectives, music that pinches poses from late-70s new wave and its surrounding genres and the overall sense that, no matter what, you’ll end up as *** on somebody’s shoe eventually.

PQ are at their best when they’re short, sweet and erratic. “Dear Ramona” stands as a tale of the woman we all really want to be with, even if they do leave you tearing your hair and heart out. You know the type: pale, arty, probably had some godawful DeviantArt account stashed away as a teenager.

Or maybe that’s just my tastes. Anyway…

“Vienna II” wraps up all of their best parts in a 1:02 sized package. Weird lyrics, jaunty rhythms and over before you know it.

Elsewhere, “Always Back In Town” and “Ducking & Dodging” are fun, angular exercises in both getting the party started and ruining it. With that in mind, the album’s title track would be the one to tear the building down too; its relentless pace and vortex of noise gets the blood up and refuses to let it down.

The instances where PQ go out of their comfort zone appear here as the record’s lowlights. “She’s Rolling” and “Instant Disassembly” are too long, too unexciting and leaves the album’s vitality swinging loosely like a ballsack in front of your horrified eyes.

But, on the spread of it, two albums in two years, both of more-than-above-average quality provide enough evidence to show that their best might yet come.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
SKATERS ManhattanTweens Tweens

Jade

Viney in the house < 3

I think I'd love these guys.

iswimfast
July 7th 2014

i wish this band made me feel things.

but they don't.

zakalwe
July 7th 2014

Loved the last one and this thankfully rules.

Sleaper
July 8th 2014

this is ok. nothing memorable, but not too boring

Arcade
July 8th 2014

i think i'd hate this but hooray for viney rev

Digging: Flume - Skin

Irving

Viney in the house < 3 [2]

cvlts
July 8th 2014

that review summary is too easy lol

tom79

Light Up Gold rules, gotta get this

psandy
July 8th 2014

I love this record and I think you did it justice. Great review.

Kiran
July 8th 2014

i love instant disassembly! i actually thought it was one of their most accomplished songs to date. i do agree that there are moments in this record where they feel a bit lost but i don't think that's one of them.

light up gold had such a perfect mix of attitude, timing and songwriting that i tempered my expectations for this, and it's a fine album but it lacks something in personality that light up gold served in spades.

clercqie
July 9th 2014

This is a really great follow-up to Light Up Gold. Slowing down the tempo a bit and giving more attention to detail.

July 30th 2014

excuse me as I slip on out

December 9th 2014

this lady is a hypnosis poet

good SHIT

Digging: Autechre - elseq 1-5

Nimb49
August 18th 2015

So the emphasis is on shit, eh?

August 18th 2015

yeah but like in the haha yeah this is the shit my bro sort of way u know like yeah this is my shit man u feel

Nimb49

Yeah, I get you.

August 19th 2015

hell yea

August 23rd 2015

this is like pavement if they gave a fuck its SO GOOD

August 24th 2015