Musk Ox
Woodfall

by Nash J. CONTRIBUTOR (35 Reviews)
July 5th, 2014 | 307 replies | 18,163 views

Release Date: 06/17/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A captivating, emotional, and masterfully-crafted achievement of not only neofolk music, but of music in general.

Never in recent memory has instrumental folk music seemed more epic and grand-scale than on Musk Ox’s Woodfall. Due to the genre’s tendency to be relatively relaxing and atmospheric, I often find myself being drawn to instrumental folk in times of stress or when I simply need to calm down after a long day’s proceedings. Vali’s Skogslandskap, for instance, encapsulates my favorite elements of the neofolk genre; boasting serene arrangements that focus on the subtle elegance of nature. Woodfall, however, is an entirely different venture from most well-known neofolk; so much so that it defies any sort of genre-labeling. A mere two albums into their career, and Musk Ox have already perfected their sound and released one of the most extraordinarily emotional albums of the past few years.

There was no surprise upon learning that Woodfall was six years in the making. With five tracks spanning an hour in length all together, the album is massive both in size and scope. Woodfall is ambitious from start to finish, with each expansive track covering a slew of different emotions while never succumbing to stagnancy. The album’s tone changes frequently, but never feels forced or disjointed, continually serving to entice the listener with each passing second. Although no song remains the same throughout, each track has an entirely different focus and conveys its own unique imagery. Beginning with the soft, ambient sounds of nature, opening track “Part 1 - Earthrise” has an extremely lighthearted feeling to it, with the violin painting a gorgeous picture of a colorful garden alive with all sorts of life. Yet, as the song progresses and the instruments begin to crescendo, an oncoming sense of fear becomes all the more present. “Part 4 - Above the Clouds” on the other hand, despite remaining true to the album’s overall sound, has an entirely different agenda. The harmonies between the violins and cello creates a wonderful dichotomy that seems to tell the epic tale of an adventure that pits forces of good against evil. Perhaps most notable of all is “Part 5 - Serenade the Constellations.” Opening with ethereal guitar picking played over an ambient-like backdrop, the song wraps up Woodfall perfectly by encompassing each of the album’s different emotional themes. In fact, throughout its seventeen-minutes, “Part 5 - Serenade the Constellations” creates an atmosphere so mournful and contemplative that it is difficult not to be brought to tears as the song, and album likewise, decrescendos to its end with the same ambience in which the album began.

The ingenious way in which Woodfall is crafted sets it apart from other contemporary neofolk releases more than anything else. By incorporating elements of classical music, post-rock, and even metal into their sound to convey an entire assortment of emotions, Musk Ox’s sound is one that is both unique and intriguing. Every song is built by layers of harmonious melodies that range from calm and ambient to jaw-droppingly intense. There are so many intricacies to each layer of Musk Ox’s music that the listener is always kept completely immersed. Although the album’s ambition is overreaching at times, dragging slightly during “Part 3 - Arcanum,” there is no moment in which Woodfall becomes repetitive; a remarkable feat for an hour-long instrumental release that relies heavily on atmosphere. Another element of the album that is bound to further the keep the listener engaged is Musk Ox’s absolutely top-notch instrumentation. Band members Nathanael Larochette, Raphael Weinroth-Browne, and Evan Runge are masterful musicians, each one displaying his individual skill on certain parts of every song. Powerful, soaring melodies by the violin, incredibly passionate classical guitar and dark, often heavy cello playing create a sound so grandiose that it is easily comparable to a full orchestra.

Woodfall is a step beyond what one would mostly identify as excellent instrumental folk music. Sure, the album is full of beauty and serenity, but to call it merely a “beautiful” or “serene” album does Musk Ox a great disservice. Woodfall is a captivating experience; one that encompasses a large variety of emotions from sadness, to jubilly, to fear, while never losing its focus. Like most neofolk, this album is easy to get lost in, but at the same time challenges the listener to explore the depths of their subconscious with extravagant arrangements that tell fascinating stories. If anything, Woodfall is an indication that, despite them being around for ten years now, the story of Musk Ox has just begun.

The Phantom Band Strange FriendThe Night Watch The Night Watch
Mr. Bungle CaliforniaDeath Has No Dominion Death Has No Dominion
Stagnant Pools GeistBurzum The Ways of Yore

July 5th 2014

The quality of this album seriously took me by surprise. If it wasn't for the new Trophy Scars record,
this would be my AOTY thus far. Fans of the genre or not, be sure to give this a listen! Shout-out to
CaptainDooRight for bringing this to my attention and to Atari for really getting me interested in
this.

Woodfall is streaming here:

Digging: Integrity - Those Who Fear Tomorrow

avonbarksdale221
July 5th 2014

Nice review here buddy this sounds very interesting indeed

July 5th 2014

sweet ass review! This is my aoty doesn't get better than this.

LIKE THE SHEER EMOTION

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

the story of Musk Ox has just begun

HARD

JamieTwort

19993 Comments

Will check soon. I dig the artwork.

July 5th 2014

Thanks guys. Agreed Cap, the emotions are outstanding. And you should definitely check this JT, I think you would dig.

manosg
July 5th 2014

The album and the artwork are both incredible. Nice find guys!

Great work as usual Judio. You've missed a couple of things such as "I often find myself being drawn to instrumental folk in times of stress when or when I simply" but solid work.

JamieTwort

19993 Comments

Excellent review btw.

One small thing I noticed:

the album is massive in both in size and scope.

Remove one of the in's.

July 5th 2014

Thanks for pointing those out Manosg and JT! It's pretty late at night and I'm getting tired so I had a bad feeling I missed a
couple typos.

Calc

12004 Comments

everaia (or whatever) is the true start of this hype train yall should thank him

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

laughingman22

cool review

try not to use the phrase "Never in recent memory has *insert genre* seemed..." so much, I feel it appears in your reviews a lot.

Digging: Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove

Mad.
July 5th 2014

Awesome review, sums up the album really well. Wonderful stuff

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

Totengott

Excellent review.

The album is a masterpiece.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Artuma

agreed

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

ExplosiveOranges
July 5th 2014

I've heard many good things about this album. Great review, Judio. I'll check this out ASAP.

Digging: Seven Lions - Worlds Apart

July 5th 2014

I...will...hear this. If it's the last thing I do!

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Mongi123
July 5th 2014

Sweet I'm gonna read this in a bit

Sowing, you rule!

Calc

12004 Comments

feels like you rushed this review to me. I dunno I never read your other stuff but you say pretty much the same things for two long paragraphs and there's these:

"None of the band members ever let up or refrain showing off their skill"

kind of doesn't need to be said no?

"one that encompasses the entire emotional spectrum while never losing its focus."

there's a lot of these fluffy buzz-cliches that make the review feel kind of hollow, like you didn't know what to say about it and you threw these in. Lastly:

"Part 4 - Earthwise"

Part 4 is called "Above the Clouds"

Just what one reader has noticed. That last sentence is particularly good though.

July 5th 2014

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Calc, I really appreciate your feedback. I did put a lot of work into this review but for some reason
(probably due to my exhaustion and bad mood) I did a really awful job of proofreading, and I apologize
for that. I should probably reword the "None of the band members" part, I meant to point out how
talented they are but I could he worded it better. I didn't notice anything wrong with the "one that
encompasses" part when I wrote it but if you think it sounds hollow I can change it. I meant to say
that nearly emotion I could think of that would be associated with music of this type is encompassed
on this alum but that does sound pretty lame. And I can't believe I made that mistake on "Part 4" and
didn't notice it, that's my favorite song on the album in fact so I feel really stupid. As a whole I'm
sorry you didn't like my review, I tried to separate my second and third paragraph by having one talk
about the songs specifically and the other discuss the musicianship and how the music is built,sorry
if it didn't come across. In any event thank you for reading, I'm honestly embarrassed at how many
times I screwed up here.