Monuments
The Amanuensis

by Daniel Davis USER (32 Reviews)
June 27th, 2014 | 127 replies | 14,761 views

Release Date: 06/23/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Monuments add a slice of melody to their crushingly groovy sound.

In the beginning, there was silence…well, Fellsilent, to be exact. Before the whole “djent” movement took off in the early ‘10s, there were two UK bands laying the foundations for the genre: SiKth and Fellsilent. While the former has splintered off into several bands spanning multiple genres that have never really reached the popularity of their mother group, Fellsilent’s guitarists took their side projects and made them into bands that are arguably far more successful that the one that spawned them. Acle Kahney borrowed the ambience and melodies of his original band and created TesseracT, one of the most discussed modern prog metal acts today. But John Browne’s Monuments keeps most of Fellsilent’s formulas for crushingly heavy riffs; the difference being that Monuments steps up the game in almost every way. The band has gone through many changes since the bitter departure of original vocalists Neema and Greg, but they’ve always retained their “big dick grooves” and unique riff styles. The Amanuensis is no exception to the formula they’ve been building up for over four years, and Monuments deliver the goods consistently and satisfyingly.

Most of the improvements in the band’s sound come directly from ex-Periphery vocalist Chris Barretto, who lends his signature croons to the downtuned chaos. It creates a much different atmosphere than the angular, percussive vocals used in the past; songs like “Atlas” would usually be populated with mostly screams, but when Barretto works his soulful magic over them it’s transformed into something that transcends what’s expected of the band. In the past, the ambient sections the group is fond of using were more tedious, but when such dynamic vocals sit over it, moments like the subdued verses of “Origin of Escape” become almost as exciting as the more explosive parts. And they do get explosive – the endings of “Origin” and “Quasimodo” might go down as some of the best metal breakdowns of the year, and the rest of the riffs are as bouncy as ever. The pit lords will be pleased with this one.

The production here is also the best it’s ever been – the stringed instruments here are punchy, powerful and clear, and the vocals sound natural and unmolested. The smoothness of the mix balances out the aggressive nature of the music to create something that rests somewhere in between. It’s the stuff that accessibility is made of, and it’s thrilling to listen to. With the addition of Barretto, Monuments have injected more personality into their sound, and given us a reason to fall in love with their grooves all over again.

Secret Band Secret BandBraid No Coast
Say Anything HebrewsMoving Mountains Moving Mountains
The Algorithm Octopus4CarboHydroM Prime Legacy

paradox1216
June 27th 2014

I don't think I expected the vocals on here to be so...soulful =o

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Drummerboy123
June 27th 2014

Incredible album and a major step up from Gnosis. Chris Barretto fits perfectly into the mix.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Blump

I'm feelin' this

Calc

crushingly groovy huh..

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Calc
June 27th 2014

but for reals what I've heard of this was very good I should djust get the whole thing

Insurrection

20749 Comments

yeah this is way better than their debut

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

TooLateToGoBack
June 27th 2014

very excited to listen to this

Asmodeuss1990
June 27th 2014

Dem big dick grooves. LOL. That made me laugh a good bit. Excellent review broski. Album is
fantastic!!! Chris Barretto is a GREAT addition to the band. I knew they would be fine instrumentally
but I AM SO GLAD he joined. His other band Ever Forthright also rules.

fromtheinside
June 28th 2014

was it wack? i think it was wack who played something from this for me and i dug it enough to DL but have yet to get to it i always think soilwork when i see the art. maybe that has something to do with it

Digging: Coroner - No More Color

trilogique21

does it djent tho

Manqaness24
June 28th 2014

I loved the first album lets see how this goes

June 28th 2014

this album is fantastic. holy shit chris has phenomenal vocals.

my only gripe is that i'm disappointed no sax made it on the record

Drummerboy123
June 28th 2014

So this concept behind this whole album is pretty darn cool, apocalypse type shiz. I'm down with it.

June 28th 2014

it's not really apocalypse but rather the entire repeating life cycle of all living things on earth.

i believe the concept of samsara is from hinduism.

paradox1216
June 29th 2014

thanks for the feature, whoever's responsible this time ^_^

nice man congrats.

Nikkolae
June 29th 2014

the riff is strong with this one

Digging: Clipping - CLPPNG

henryChinaski
June 29th 2014

Never really listened to these guys. I'm just gonna start with this release. Nice review!

Digging: The Tidal Sleep - Vorstellungskraft

Wolfhorde
June 29th 2014

So is this more generic Meshuggahcore/Djent with weepy vocals?

NonApplicable

1945 Comments

The guitarist behind this this album is exceptional! He really finds ways to make the djent guitar tone useful for something other than chugging.

Digging: Wovenwar - Wovenwar