Ab-Soul
These Days...

by Guzzo CONTRIBUTOR (25 Reviews)
June 27th, 2014 | 64 replies

Release Date: 06/24/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Saturated

When Control System came out back in 2012, one of the more interesting aspects was hearing Ab-Soul’s wordplay cover subjects of religion, conspiracy theories, politics, and his life. It created a really tense atmosphere that managed to keep songs like “The Book of Soul” or “Terrorist Threats” on replay even in 2014. With These Days… however, what we get is a lot of ideas and experimentation without any album flow or structure. “Twact,” “Nevermind” and “Hunnid Stax” all showcase the sounds of an attempt at radio success, especially in “Twact” which sounds like it was stolen straight from YG’s new record. And then on the opposite side of the hip-hop spectrum we have tracks like “W.R.O.C.,” “God’s Reign” and “Tree of Life” that hearken back to Control System with Soul dropping thought-provoking bars like, “With a dollar and a dream/why you think money is green?/ Color of vegetation/the most important thing, trees.” It’s just These Days… is so scatterbrained that the very next track after “Tree of Life” see’s Soul start out with lines like, “Who gettin' that money?/ Real motha***in' money/ That’s all I do dawg/ got cashed out, got ***ed up, then I passed out.” It’s as though These Days… is a brain storm of ideas that got put into an album without any direction.

And it isn’t just the topical themes that are standing in opposite spectrums; the production doesn’t seem to know what face to put on either. There are two beat switches much akin to those found throughout Kendrick Lamar’s GKMC, except on here they are utterly pointless and don’t do anything to the album except for add a hidden track at the end of “Tree of Life” and “Just Have Fun.” Again, it just feels like Soul had an idea but didn’t feel like putting enough effort into expanding it. On the track “Nevermind” the beat seems entirely too slowed down for its own trap-flavored good, and its inclusion of static to change up the beat each 30 seconds just doesn’t make sense. In reality, there is so much going on in the production of “Nevermind” that it’s a song that truly epitomizes These Days… as a whole. One second it’s a slowed down trap affair, then the static comes in and changes it into an R&B sound only to change again into an acid soaked guitar lead with the slowed down trap beat coming back.

It’s not as though the tracks when seen by themselves are all that bad though. “Kendrick Lamar’s Interlude” ends up being up being one of the best tracks on the LP, with Kendrick coming through with a very high-energy verse that goes well with the crazed jazz instrumentals backing him. However, the song just feels like Kendrick is doing Ab-Soul the same favor that Soul did for him back on Section .80 and nothing more than that. The raw-audio recording found at the end of the closing track “W.R.O.C.” sees Ab-Soul up against Daylyt in a rap battle. What turns out to be a really cool, albeit really long, track where Soul and Daylyt go back and forth with verses, ends up being a real ending testament of “What the hell did I just listen to?”

Sadly, that is a question that was raised for the album as a whole after I finished listening to it. Sure, the idea of the album is supposed to be Ab-Soul’s view of mainstream hip-hop as well as himself “these days” but the way he goes about showing us his view is nauseating when the album is digested as a whole. What These Days… ends up being is more so diarrhea of the mouth rather than an introspective look at the current times and themes. And that by itself makes the album a disappointment. Not because the tracks by themselves are bad or that Ab-Soul’s wordplay is poor, but because the LP just feels so unpolished and poorly structured after two years of delays and being pushed back. That ends up being the real disappointment.

Royal Blood Royal BloodHow to Dress Well What Is This Heart?
Tigers Jaw CharmerLa Dispute Rooms of the House
Armand Hammer Race MusicIsaiah Rashad Cilvia Demo
2.9
good
BornToBeAborted (3)
In the end, Ab-Soul mostly succeeds at making an album that nobody wanted him to make...

Control System

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle
June 27th 2014

Great review, dude. Have yourself a mind pos

Digging: Aesop Rock - Daylight

June 27th 2014

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

DropdeadWHA

nice review.

Nikkolae
June 27th 2014

"With These Days… however, what we get is a lot of ideas and experimentation without any album flow or structure."

basically yes, pretty much summed up the album right there

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

Phlegm

yup

Digging: Dean Blunt - Black Metal

ShitsofRain
June 27th 2014

ok wont listen to this now

Digging: Round One to Round Five - 1993-99 Main Street Records

cmaitland421
June 27th 2014

Great review. This has been delayed so much that I didn't even know it had actually come out until today.

Deviant.
June 27th 2014

Probably the most boring thing I've heard all year

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

ExplosiveOranges
June 27th 2014

I feel like I haven't seen a review from you in a while, Guzzo. Mindpos.

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

Soulo cain rap 4 shi n ima tell evrybody

Phlegm
June 27th 2014

watch all those 3.5's and 4's change their ratings now lmao!!! iw as here first b*tches!

June 27th 2014

ur ratin ain't low enuff fucka

HolidayKirk
June 27th 2014

More Guz reviews please. Can this man get a feature?

yeah feature this backed

June 27th 2014

Thanks for the love guys. @Kirk, I've never gotten a featured review before, pretty sure Sputz has me banned from ever getting one lol.

hogan900
June 27th 2014

Guzzo, me and you both dude.. Then again I gotta earn that spot one day by stop reviewing older music. However I got a big ass project I've been writing. Awesome job as always though my man, was actually going to check this out.

Sleaper
June 27th 2014

not a fan of ab soul.. never have been.

this album is super mediocre

Digging: Panda Bear - Mr Noah

NICE REC SLEAP

Sleaper
June 28th 2014

keep up the hip hop reviews dude
no one else on here does em like you do

MMX
June 28th 2014

"Not because the tracks by themselves are bad or that Ab-Soul’s wordplay is poor, but because the LP
just feels so unpolished and poorly structured after two years of delays and being pushed back."

Nailed it on the head