Fire! Orchestra
Enter!

by Greg Fisher STAFF
June 15th, 2014 | 32 replies | 5,224 views

Release Date: 05/26/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rekindling the fire.

Fire! Orchestra are all about contradictions, contrasting madness with tunefulness and the monumental scope with the moments of minimalistic improvisation. This big band comprised of 28 Swedish musicians made a name for themselves last year with Exit!, the debut that stretched out the boundaries of free jazz, taking inspiration from a wide variety of music styles. The effect was a discordant blast of an album that defied expectations with its potent mash-up of noise and cacophony set against a distinctly melodious backdrop. Enter! is a logical continuation of this musical path, elaborating on the free jazz style with an enlarged spectrum of musical influences. The apocalyptic crescendos and trance-inducing rhythms finely blend with the free jazz elements. Yet, there's also plenty of soul intimacy and rock swagger on display this time around, which makes Enter! into an even more genre-bending offering than its predecessor.

The songwriting is dictated by movements that patiently progress in post-rock fashion. The big band's conductor Mats Gustafsson is in perfect control of every sound, lending the music guidance and discipline. Still, there's room for unhinged moments of madness that are not only reflected in the dissonant arrangement of saxophones and trumpets constantly building up and dissolving into chaos, but also in vocal performances delivered by three singers who boast vastly different techniques. The vocal palette encompasses delicate soprano one moment and guttural screeching that's utterly unsettling the next. These diverse vocals are instrumental in shaping up a distinct spiritual dimension in which the album exists.

Even though 52-minute long Enter! feels very much like one multifaceted composition, it has been awkwardly divided into two parts. The first one is way more engrossing, showcasing the big band's knack for blending numerous potentially dissimilar styles to dazzling effect. Swiftly advancing through a serene art-pop intro, a crazed theatrical mid-section and a blissful rock freak-out based on a formidable bass groove and swift tribal drumming, the piece overflows with genuine passion, and a sense of pay-off that's been absent from experimental jazz music recently. Regrettably the album loses some steam later on. The tight song craft gives way to the abstract musical forms of 'Part 2' which ranges from intriguing to downright terrifying, yet never quite reaches the emotional resonance of the ensemble's most alluring work.

Enter! rekindles its strength with the last segment, though. In its final 9 minutes the album reshapes its apocalyptic visions into something much more hopeful. This lushly orchestrated piece may capture the band in their most conventional mode, but its intensity built around poignant vocals and mounting tension is in a class by itself. The result is an anthem that's at once powerfully emotive and deeply inspiring. “Underneath the water it feels like inside the womb,” the vocalists proclaim in unison in the track's finale. It's the rebirth of human spirit.

Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Ought More Than Any Other DaytUnE-yArDs Nikki Nack

June 15th 2014

If I hated the last one would I like this one?

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

No. I don't think so.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

grrrrrrr.......

Underflow
June 15th 2014

Sweet! Was hoping these guys would return.

ShitsofRain

how can u hate exit!?

reported tbh

Digging: Luigi Nono - A Pierre; Quando stanno morendo;

SgtPepper
June 15th 2014

I'll check this out some time, this song is really good. I thought exit! was a pretty rough listen as well, but I started to 'get it' in time. Very nice work, Greg. You've really been going outside of your comfort zones lately.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

June 15th 2014

if you listened to exit! this should be really accessible no matter whether you liked exit! or not

so I might like it?

you might
there's obviously no guarantee though

June 15th 2014

well it's more hope than what greg is tellin me, I'll try it then.

Phlegm
June 15th 2014

:O really gotta check this

Digging: Yagya - Sleepygirls

June 15th 2014

Some segments on this are definitely more accessible than Fire!, but then again there are other moments that are badshit crazy.

North0House2
June 15th 2014

Love this outfit. I'll have to give this a listen. Exit! ruled.

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

Omaha
June 15th 2014

This is a fantastic review, really. You've been becoming a better and better writer, man- proud of you.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

LordePots

but it was like the 3rd best album of last year

SpritzSpritz
June 16th 2014

this is as incredible as exit. biggest surprise this year.

June 16th 2014

Thanks a bunch, Jacob.

I'm sure you'll love it, Pots.