Trap Them
Blissfucker

by NoSons USER (20 Reviews)
June 14th, 2014 | 13 replies | 1,931 views

Release Date: 06/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album saws through everything you have ever known.

Imagine a buzzsaw starting. Now imagine the grinding sound piercing the toughest of metals. The man wielding the destructive tool is none other than Ryan McKenney and while cutting through the objects he is screaming louder than the saw. The emotion is aggressive and the noise is enchantingly beautiful. Once you are done imagining the picture I just painted, you realize you actually hit play on the new Trap Them album and have been listening to the pounding aggression of first track 'Salted Crypts.' Instead of an actual buzzsaw you've been listening to Brian Izzi, Brad Fickeieson and Galen Baudhuin unleash all their might on the guitar, drums and bass respectively. The record, entitled Bliss***er, is out June 10th through Prosthetic Records.

After setting the stage with the opener, the second track 'Habitland' spirals off into a chaotic fury of hostility. The drums are charting at insane speeds while the guitars are pulverizing the mix with furious riffs. That level of intense chaos is kept up for most of the album. The band knows how to create dynamics and builds in their tracks too, which help keep the songs fresh and not repetitive. A fine example of the dynamic approach is the third track 'Gift And Gift Unsteady' which features more melodies winding through the heavy wall of distortion.

The speed at which this album races through might be the most impressive highlight. With the heavy rates per minute of each song comes impressive songwriting to keep them interesting and flowing. When the music takes a pause back from chain saw to hack saw, it never loses its intensity. 'Bad Nones' and 'Savage Climbers' are slower than the rest of their companions, but McKenney's piercing vocals are stronger than ever. His visceral screams give the tracks more of an impact and edge. His performance across this entire album is stellar. The guitars have a sludge appeal to them, really focusing on the slightly more melodic grooves that are present. Sandwiched between these two tracks is 'Forming Lining Wide The Walls' which is an absolute drum assault slicing its way through the eardrums of any potential listener.

To give Blissfucer a welcoming exit, the end of 'Let Fall Each and Every Sedition Symptom' pounds out a final blastbeat attack. Trap Them have released another grinding album that punches out listeners with speed and heaviness.

My Fictions Stranger SongsHour of Penance Regicide
Wovenhand Refractory ObdurateBeartooth Disgusting
Young and in the Way When Life Comes to DeathEmma Ruth Rundle Some Heavy Ocean
ryallen (2)
25 minutes of material are forced to hold together a 46 minute album, and they cannot....

LordePots
June 14th 2014

kind of lost interest in this band, pretty standard shit

Digging: B-Ju - Merianplatz

If this just sounds like their last 3 albums I'm not sure I can be bothered

Digging: Sadistik - Ultraviolet

zaruyache
June 15th 2014

I was not big on their last album, but this didn't sound that interesting either.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

EyesWideShut

kind of lost interest in this band, pretty standard shit [2]

never understand why they dont print out their lyrics

adr
June 18th 2014

album is pretty good, but Handcraft is way better tbh. Pretty standart shit yeah, but solid standart shit. Whoa.

Nikkolae
June 18th 2014

Seance Primes is still their best for me but only cause i like the story behind it a bit more, band is really consistent dunno what yall on about

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

deezer666
June 23rd 2014

pretty damn boring, I want to like them they just do nothing for me, Early stuff was better for sure

Digging: Slugdge - Gastronomicon

Hawks
July 15th 2014

Agreed that this is standard. It's really not as bad as some people seem to think though.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

wacknizzle
July 15th 2014

Yeah, I wanted to like this but it just hasn't done much for me. Haven't had much desire to even listen to it enough to rate.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

Hawks
July 15th 2014

It's not as good as Darker Handcraft, but I still dig it.

Regulator
July 19th 2014

I decided to just play all of Trap Them`s albums on shuffle, and then I started to notice that these tracks fit with their body of work better in that sense. The album definitely lacks in a few departments, most notably the drumming. Also, why are the vocals so far in the background on so many tracks... McKenney is a fucking animal, and should be more in the foreground. His vox could have saved this album a bit I think. Still stoked to finally see these guys live next week.