Linkin Park
The Hunting Party

by Caleb C. USER (26 Reviews)
June 10th, 2014 | 47 replies

Release Date: 06/17/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Simply guitars and anger alone do not a classic record make.

Fifteen year old me is in his fucking element right now. There’s no mistaking Linkin Park made their name among angst ridden teenagers and it’s now on their 6th full length that they decide to throw those same teenagers another bone by playing with guitars again. I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to hear an old favorite sounding like an old favorite again, but let’s not lose our heads here. Without a doubt Shinoda tears up the mic on the verses of “All for Nothing” (sounds like he is anyway, pedestrian rhyme schemes permeate this thing even by his standards) and Chester brings the generalized anger against his generalized foes harder on “Keys to the Kingdom” and “A Line in the Sand” than he has since imploring our silence on “One Step Closer”. But at the end of the day, Linkin Park just ends up proving once again that they write one hell of an above average mainstream song.

Linkin Park has never improved upon the songwriting skill they had on Hybrid Theory and they probably won’t. Here’s the kicker though, they haven’t gotten any worse either. So we see it again, the band falling into the same songwriting pitfalls (structurally identical to everything they’ve ever put out) that have plagued them ever since Meteora. Seriously, take out the Rakim verse on “Guilty All the Same” and tell me it’s not a slightly more guitar complex “No More Sorrow”. If you remove half the riffs out of “Until It’s Gone” and replace with them with synths it could fit on Living Things without a second thought. Sure, you can make the case for the bands improvement at the actual “playing” of their instruments (Rob Bourden’s drumming steals a large portion of the accolades I’d give out) but does complexity and difficultly of the task really make it that much more artistically relevant? It’s easy to get all caught up in Linkin Park playing heavy shit again, but that by itself can't mean we're getting something any less derivative than what we’ve received the past 10 years. As I said, fifteen year old me is ecstatic with the direction Linkin Park took here and they sure do it well given the number of years that have gone by, but you’ve got to keep it in perspective. Simply guitars and anger alone do not a classic record make.

Mongol Horde Mongol HordeAtmosphere Southsiders
The Menzingers Rented WorldManchester Orchestra Cope
Linkin Park Hybrid TheoryWoodsman Woodsman

June 10th 2014

goodbye sputnik it has been nice knowing you.

Digging: Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

TooManyFriends

I bet Verm was the neg

June 10th 2014

Nope, sorry to dissapoint you toomanyfriends but review is ok. Maybe if the rating was a 1,5 or 1 I
will be the neg with no doubt

June 10th 2014

well it's gone already whatever.

swim4contrib2014

sapient

2003 Comments

I don't think anybody REALLY thinks this is a classic record, so the summary is a bit exaggerated. It's simply their strongest since Hybrid Theory

Digging: Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

June 10th 2014

Is at the same level of meteora

sapient

2003 Comments

If I didn't think that Meteora was a lesser re-write of HT, I would agree Verm

June 10th 2014

you see, you're looking at the word "classic" how sputnik classifies it.

escape the website for a second. every band hopes that their next album is a classic.

StallionMang

That average holy fuck
It's like La Gargola all over again, except that album was at least a bit more deserving of those high marks

Digging: The Antlers - In the Attic of the Universe

Green Baron

20000 Comments

Both albums were heavier than their prior releases too.

Coincidence?

June 10th 2014

Love how people gets mad for a high rating of LP, is kinda funny, I'm sure that most of the detractors
were forced with an AK47 or M6 to hear the whole LP discogrpahy, lol.

Green Baron

20000 Comments

Verm, you do realize not everyone likes this album, and that's okay, right?

BassDemon333

The fucking summary....really?

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50

people always get upset at cheesy shit why cant we JUST HAVE FUN

June 10th 2014

Verm, you do realize not everyone likes this album, and that's okay, right?

Yeah I know, but is fuckin funny too see how some people is suffering due to the fact that linkin park
has a high score, I'm sure those lads are crying and dealing with a severe crysis,lol.

June 10th 2014

Whatever Fripp, keep jamming bangerz, lol.

June 10th 2014

verm can you go to another thread or something you're bringing down the mood.

Does this suck?