Jack White
Lazaretto

by jordan. CONTRIBUTOR (64 Reviews)
June 8th, 2014 | 120 replies

Release Date: 06/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hasidic Chic

It's difficult to appropriate circumstances and context to Jack White's sophomore LP. Believe me, I've tried. Aside from the fact that the man was caught up in a damning Rolling Stone article and a series of offending emails, White keeps his cards so close to his chest that it stops us picky writers analyzing how his personal life impacts his art. In the end it leaves us with just the music and little else, and taken on that level Lazaretto is a fine and respectable piece in its own right.

Typical blues fare dominates on White's sophomore solo record, trouncing any attempt the Black Keys have made at trying to resuscitate the genre on Turn Blue. Generic misogyny is mined on "Three Women", White slithering around with all his sexual imposition and blues rock swagger. The singles for the record, the ironically mundane braggadocio of "Lazaretto" and an exercise in instrumental terror "High Ball Stepper", are easy standouts, boasting trademark White wit and dirty blues guitar lines.

However that's not say White is a one trick pony when it comes to stylistic turns- he makes clear strides into a far more diverse set of influences than those seen on Blunderbuss. White himself engages occasional hip hop influences now, spitting lines of adolescent rhetoric reminiscent of Chuck D/Flavor Flav on "That Black Rat Licorice". Alternative country romp "Temporary Ground" is the most noticeable; with a guest spot from Lillie Mae Rische, White takes a typically stagnant and cheesy structure and turns it on its head, creating a subtle metaphor for the construction of ego in relation to lily pads. The same can be said of upbeat, jaunty piano rock of "Would You Fight for My Love?" and "Just One Drink"; adaptable to just about any style he can conjure up, pronounced folky tunes like "Alone in My Home" rub up well against more standard alternative rock numbers like "I Think I Found the Culprit".

When Turn Blue arrived earlier this year, I commended it for its ability to stray from commercial expectations and produce something with a little more difficulty. Jack White has already had the benefit of growing up through his tenure in the White Stripes, and as an audience we can sense him being almost comfortable with himself in 2014. With a clear idea of the musician he wants to be, it would be a pleasure if more blues rock albums sounded like Lazaretto.

Slipknot .5: The Gray ChapterDot Hacker How's Your Process? (Play)
Johnny Marr PlaylandWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
Julian Casablancas and The Voidz TyrannyGerard Way Hesitant Alien
krthll1 (3)
Jack White continues his blues phase, but something is still missing even on the second attempt....

JKennedy (4)
Jack White: the last hope for blues?...

AaronBatt (4)
"I'm so Detroit, I make it rise from the ashes"...

Arcade
June 8th 2014

tried to improve on the feedback from before so, hope people are happier with this rev instead.

feedback appreciated

Digging: Botch - We Are the Romans

June 8th 2014

Definitely like this one a lot more, makes me want to hear the album actually
If anything, my criticism would be you not mentioning any real negatives to the album which makes the 3.5 seem a bit low

Digging: Vestascension - Breaching the Sound

apokolypz
June 8th 2014

title track is probably my favorite

lyzakthellama
June 8th 2014

I have low expectations but I sure am hoping its good

ArsMoriendi
June 8th 2014

This is much better than your first review. Definitely pos'd.

Rowan does bring up a good point though. You seem to make the album sound like 4.5, rather than a 3.5. Maybe throw in a criticism paragraph.

Digging: Beck - Odelay!

Average rating: 3.7 great
Good to know you base your sound judgements on facts, Fripp

June 8th 2014

All I'm saying is why not just listen to the album if you want to make judgements of it

June 8th 2014

can't vibe to this dude cool rev tho

June 8th 2014

I haven't actually been paying attention to this album's release, what's the gimmick?

June 8th 2014

jack white plays 'real music' is the gimmick he's been riding for a decade

June 8th 2014

Well yeah obviously I was aware of that, but the music is good so I don't care about his self-aggrandizing image or any of that shit

Futures
June 8th 2014

he's kind of a dick but he makes good music eh

Digging: Mock Orange - Nines & Sixes

Arcade
June 8th 2014

the gimmick is he's released this thing with a hologram on the vinyl or something

he's kind of a dick but he makes good music eh [2]
like 90% of popular musicians amirite

at least

At least Chad is cool

kroeger? :D

ba dum tsss

Futures
June 8th 2014

exactly what i was thinking tom haha

XingKing
June 8th 2014

This album is a straight snooze fest